A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 18th August 2017, 4:27 pm

» whats on the menu
by Chilli-head 15th August 2017, 10:25 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

» Quilting
by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 11:58 am

» Host an Image wants a password
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 2:14 pm

» Drawings
by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 2nd July 2017, 10:15 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Ploshkin 30th June 2017, 10:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by FloBear 29th June 2017, 9:10 am

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44558 messages in 2315 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What are you reading now?

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 31st October 2012, 10:20 pm

They are not all in print. WHatever you can get hold of. I started the DN ones with 'A catch of consequence' which is the first of a loose trilogy. The AF ones are slightly different and perhaps a little more 'populist' - in the best sense of teh word. I like both styles very much.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 1st November 2012, 9:29 pm

I like the look of the AF ones on Amazon - something a bit macabre to get my teeth into while I'm eating lunch maybe...

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 15th February 2013, 8:08 pm

Gone back to the Thomas Covenant books. Seems forever since I last read them.

The last one is being published in the Autumn, I hope.

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 15th February 2013, 8:52 pm

I am waiting for that one before stating the last chronicles - he isn't going to get me again

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 16th February 2013, 8:24 pm

The Last Chronicles are not so easy to read, especially the 2nd one, but well worth it.

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 16th February 2013, 8:25 pm

The Last Chronicles are not so easy to read, especially the 2nd one, but well worth it.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 17th February 2013, 12:00 am

I'm about to read "the Winter of our disconnect" http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8132948-the-winter-of-our-disconnect

as I am trying to cut down on computer time for Lent - have given up playing spider solitaire and am planing to switch of ft he computer earlier (I know, I know, I'm up late tonight)

I listen to the Radio 4 reading of the book on my i-pod but thought I should read it properly.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 17th February 2013, 2:00 pm

That looks good - let us know how you get on with it JG.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

default Just finished...

Post by joseyc on 22nd February 2013, 7:39 am

"Your money or your life" - Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez - its a classic for simplifiers so guess many of you have read it already - I enjoyed it very much and am now totting up my spend left and right...dabbling with Gandhi's autobiography and have to read Gone Girl for book club
That's me for now
Josey
joseyc

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 23rd February 2013, 12:21 am

I've just started Dies the Fire by SM Stirling - scary post apolocyptic stuff that I used to devour pre adoption, just couldn't face it when the kids arrived

In Dies the Fire, S.M. Stirling chronicles the struggle of two groups who try to survive "The Change", a mysterious worldwide event that suddenly alters physical laws so that electricity, gunpowder, and most other forms of high-energy-density technology no longer work. As a result of this, modern civilization comes crashing down.

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 23rd February 2013, 5:30 pm

Probably at the other end of the scale, I'm reading something evocative and comforting, 'Woodsmoke and Pigeon Pie'. left in my pigeonhole (??) at school by a lovely friend who thought it would be a good half term read. It's really a series of snapshots of rural life in Kent at the end of the second world war.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 on 16th March 2013, 8:23 am

i am re reading all of my marion zimmer bradley darkover series
books .you can never put them down .
they are about a civiliastion on a planet with mind powers
and the stories cover a wide span of centuries
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 16th March 2013, 4:26 pm

Dandelion wrote:Probably at the other end of the scale, I'm reading something evocative and comforting, 'Woodsmoke and Pigeon Pie'. left in my pigeonhole (??) at school by a lovely friend who thought it would be a good half term read. It's really a series of snapshots of rural life in Kent at the end of the second world war.

Dandelion - meant to ask at the time - what is "Woodsmoke and Pigeon Pie"?

I am reading Trace by Patricia Cornwell. I started reading it whilst staying with our fr9iends in Richmond Va. It actually mentions the CVS store we had been in the day before I started reading it.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 16th March 2013, 7:50 pm

Jaded Green wrote:
Dandelion wrote:Probably at the other end of the scale, I'm reading something evocative and comforting, 'Woodsmoke and Pigeon Pie'. left in my pigeonhole (??) at school by a lovely friend who thought it would be a good half term read. It's really a series of snapshots of rural life in Kent at the end of the second world war.

Dandelion - meant to ask at the time - what is "Woodsmoke and Pigeon Pie"?

I am reading Trace by Patricia Cornwell. I started reading it whilst staying with our fr9iends in Richmond Va. It actually mentions the CVS store we had been in the day before I started reading it.

It's a book of reminiscences from the Kent countryside of the 1940s/50s, written by the daughter of a farmer, Joan Kent. (I've wondered if it's a psedonym!) It's a very gentle book full of anecdotes and stories. I lived in rural Kent for a few years as a child in the 60s - I don't think it had changed much, so I also enjoyed it from that point of view. Good bedtime reading as each chapter is self-contained and not demanding if you're tired!

Is the Patricia Cornwell book at all bloody? I read The Potters Field, but had problems because I soon realised that with a book you can't close your eyes when you get to the nasty bits!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 16th March 2013, 8:50 pm

Love them, have most of them now, just a few odd ones to get, they don`t turn up often, but I will be lucky sometime.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 17th March 2013, 1:26 pm

polgara wrote:Love them, have most of them now, just a few odd ones to get, they don`t turn up often, but I will be lucky sometime.

Joan Kent or Patricia Cornwell? I managed to get two second hand Joan Kent books from Amazon for less than £2.50 each including postage which I thought was pretty good. Having borrowed one from a friend at school I wanted my own copy to lend to my mother

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 17th March 2013, 8:40 pm

I meant the Zimmer Bradley ones Very Happy

I`ve gone back to David Eddings at the moment.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 17th March 2013, 9:27 pm

Ahhhh!!!!!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 4th April 2013, 7:57 pm

Have come across a set of books called Tales of... have read Poachers Tales, The old Game Keepers, The old Countrymen, & The Old Gardeners.

Have More Tales of The Old Gamekeepers, & More Tales Of The Old Countymen waiting.

Am currently reading The Countrymans Year.

Fabulous books with stories collected by Brian P Martin, or John Humphreys.

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 4th April 2013, 8:55 pm

D, I thought I would read my family history...again laughy

Certainly agree with Spars comments. Fantastic books, he bought me the Old Countrywomen one, & always lets me read the others. Love them to bits. book

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 9th May 2013, 8:25 pm

Just finished "Wise Words & Country Ways - Weather Lore" by Ruth Binney

Continuing with "More Tales of the Old Gamekeepers."

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 9th May 2013, 8:34 pm

Oh good, more for me to read then

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 21st February 2014, 2:29 pm

Dandelion - I seem to remember you saying you liked a nice juicy murder (story).

Whilst on holiday in Norfolk last week, I was walking into the village with the dog, and a woman passed me going in the opposite direction. Do you like books, she asked me. I was a bit surprised, but said yes, and so does my husband. Please take this, she said, and handed me a fat paperback. It's really, really good and I can't bear to throw it away.

Twenty four hours later, I had finished it - just couldn't put it down, and I'm not a fan of crime fiction.

If you've not tried it before, I thoroughly recommend The Last Child by John Hart. I'm on the lookout now for his two previous books.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 21st February 2014, 3:19 pm

Ooh, thank you for that FB. I've just finished 'Pearls before Swine' by Margery Allingham, a good, old fashioned British WW2 classic tale. Only a couple of corpses...

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 2nd July 2014, 9:38 pm

Mike Abbot's "Going with the grain", and other assorted chair making books. I have half an ash tree to do something with when I get a bit of time ...
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th July 2014, 1:17 pm

Just reading a good murder to get me through to the end of term...

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top