A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Two minute beach clean
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin 13th December 2017, 1:42 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

» Armchair gardening in December
by freebird 4th December 2017, 11:11 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Ploshkin 3rd December 2017, 3:46 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is dreamcb77

Our users have posted a total of 44938 messages in 2335 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What are you reading now?

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What are you reading now?

Post by polgara on 14th August 2011, 1:16 pm

Yep, they will be next after the oddments, & then the D`Alembert series.

For the time period they have to be some of the best SciFi, much as I like some of the fantasy stuff someone like Smith or Asimov beat most of todays stuff hands down IMO

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 14th August 2011, 2:25 pm

I have a deep and abiding love for many of the Golden Age authors - Gernsback, Blish, Heinlein, Pohl, Bradbury, Kornbluth et al. Spent my late childhood/early teens in second hand bookshops reading those authors voraciously.

It was a unique period in a way because science and technology were still viewed as areas of limitless potential (and tended to have a degree of science in as well), whereas now sci-fi and fantasy tends either to be fluffy escapism or dystopian nightmare.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 14th August 2011, 3:59 pm

There was a good bit of writing in Saturday's Times magazine (can't put a link because you have to pay to view). Caitlin Moran was writing about the library in the town where she grew up. She said :

"Everything I am is based on this ugly building on its lonely lawn - lit up during winter darkness, open in the slashing rain - which allowed a girl so poor she didn't even own a purse to come in twice a day and experience actual magic: travelling through time, making contact with the dead (Dorothy Parker, Charlotte Bronte, Richard Brautigan, Truman Capote).
A library in the middle of a community is a cross between an emergency exit, a life raft and a festival. They are cathedrals of the mind; hospitals of the soul; theme parks of the imagination. On a cold, rainy island they are the only sheltered public spaces where you are not a consumer, but a citizen instead. A human with a brain and a heart and a desire to be uplifted, rather than a customer with a credit card and an inchoate 'need' for 'stuff'."

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 14th August 2011, 4:25 pm

Oh yes Billy, that is why I have so many old books, the original Foundation books are another example. The extrapolations of such people is really brilliant.

One of the most thought provoking books I ever read was First & Last Man not sure now who wrote it, could have been Kurt Vonegut

Must say it is also why I like Cussler & Clancy as the forcasts of the future, not too distant make sense with todays knowledge.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 14th August 2011, 5:48 pm

Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, also Lovecraft and Fred Hoyle were my must reads as a teenager. Used to go to the Library in Worcester on Sat mornings and spend time reading them in there -

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 14th August 2011, 9:59 pm

Twas Olaf Stapleton who wrote Last & First Man whichever way the title goes. Came to me in a flash.

I think I read every SciFi in our local library with some very obscure ones that I can`t really remember. Now I have all the books that I rely enjoyed & still re-read from time to time.

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by flute on 23rd August 2011, 12:00 am

At the moment I am reading The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'Lacey. I started reading these a fair few years ago after getting the first one with a World Book Day token. Am now almost finished Dark Fire, but I can't find Fire World in any book shops so I'm lasting it out as long as possible. Not easy for me! Rolling Eyes I'm rereading these so I can reread the Inheritance cycle before Inheritance is released and I wont have too long to wait! Very Happy

The Last Dragon Chronicles are essentially children's books, but I think they have a great story to them, and I think Chris D'lacey is secretly a fan of NCIS. Little bits crop up, especially later on in the series!

"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential. Who we are might be predetermined, but we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny.
Our destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged:
Every man is born as many men, but dies a single one." -Timothy McGee (NCIS)
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by flute on 23rd August 2011, 3:56 pm

Found out why it's not in any shops. Embarassed It's not released yet! Ooops Very Happy Is now preordered, and I have to figure out how to make ten pages last seven days!

"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential. Who we are might be predetermined, but we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny.
Our destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged:
Every man is born as many men, but dies a single one." -Timothy McGee (NCIS)
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 23rd August 2011, 4:06 pm

My last read was, "Zorba the Greek" by Nikos Kazantzakis. I am fond of many things Greek, the country, the people .... and Alexis Zorbas embodies so much of what Greek; Food, wine, music, dance, carousing and philosophy. I particularly enjoyed the philosophy, and this conundrum:

Zorba encounters an old man who is planting an almond tree.
Zorba exclaims, "What? Grandpa! Planting an almond tree at your age?"
The old man looked up at Zorba and replied, "My son, I live every day as if I shall never die."
To which Zorba responded, "Hah!I live every day as if I shall die any minute!"

So, do you live each day as if it is your last, or as if you will live forever ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 23rd August 2011, 4:58 pm

Hmmm, that made me think...
I do like to plan, so from that point of view I like to look forward, but I also think it's important to deal with misunderstandings and arguments quickly in case I'm not around to make amends later!

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 23rd August 2011, 8:35 pm

Currently reading Dawn French's Dear Fatty. Thoroughly enjoying it and learning lots about her that I didn't already know!

Mrs C

My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devonmama on 24th August 2011, 8:53 am

Ooh great thread, I always have a book on the go Smile Just finished Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez, Vicki Robin and Monique Tilford. Am now even more inspired to become financially independant, might take a good few years though lol!

Devonmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 24th August 2011, 9:11 am

Just read Mimus by Lilli Thal and am working through all of Martin Cruz Smith's Arcady Renko books. Started with Gorky Park on Friday and have just finished Red Square.
Also on the go are The geography of Nowhere: Rise and decline of America's Man-made Landscape by James Howard Kunstler and Making Sense of the Troubles by Davids McKittrick and McVea.
Have a huge pile of dull research stuff to read but am thinking of having a couple of days off hard thought ane rereading Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 25th August 2011, 8:18 pm

Finished the oddments of Doc Smith, now on the D`Alembert series, saving the Lensmen till last.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 28th August 2011, 10:24 pm

Have just finished reading the biography "Edward Wilson of the Antarctic" by George Seaver

One of Scotts South Pole party, fabulous person like most of them...

Now for some light relief

"A Simples Life" the biography of the famous Meerkat "Aleksandr Orlov"

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
                 The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
    leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 28th August 2011, 10:42 pm

I got into big trouble this evening when talking about 'Jane Eyre'. I said something like 'Oh yes, that's the story where she is a governess, Mr Rochester goes blind and she marries him' (a fair summing up, I thought...). DD2 was furious and said 'The film's coming out next month, and now you've spoilt the ending!' I just assumed that everyone still had to read it at school, but apparently not... Embarassed

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 29th August 2011, 7:59 am

LOL, I thought it was one of those stories everyone knew as well. Never mind the ending might be different in the new film!!

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 29th August 2011, 2:04 pm

True enough about film versions and that.
It was on the short list of pick any 5 or so when I was in school. I'd picked something else though, can't recall what now, lol.
But yeah, a large number of my mates from school had read it as well.
Oh, I think that was the year I was reading Dostoyevski (Eng. Lit. teacher gave me a go on that Smile). What was I thinking??? lol
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 29th August 2011, 3:01 pm

Right - Dawn French finished (review to go on my blog later this week) so now reading Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier which was in a pile of books a friend just gave me. Only read about 50 pages so far, but completely captivating!

Mrs C

MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th August 2011, 4:05 pm

I don't think I've read Falling Angels - what's it about? Must put that on my Amazon list....I like her books

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 29th August 2011, 8:10 pm

D - Queen Victoria has just died and two families meet when they walk in the cemetery the day after her death (which I understand is what they had to do as part of the official mourning) Their girls become friends, but each family sees Victoria's death in a different way - and that's as far as I've got so far!

Mrs C

MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th August 2011, 8:56 pm

Sounds good...

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 12th January 2012, 3:21 pm

I seem to have been very lax with this thread. Let me say it is not because I have stopped reading, far from it, I read far too much!! Not that I think that is possible.

For Christmas & was lucky enough to get 2 books on the Blitz. One a general book that covered the whole country, & the other about London. Both of which were extremly interesting.

The other book was based on Mass Observation papers covering 1945-1948. It was very interesting to learn the sort of things my parents were going through after the war finished. It was also very funny in places. Learning from "real" peoples experience is most enlightening!! I was also interested to see that the Mass Observation thing is still going on.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 12th January 2012, 3:39 pm

Currently reading "Here I Stand; A Biography of Martin Luther". It's an early 1950's edition, and quite interesting. Being myself a Protestant, Lutheran to be specific, I was already familiar with many of the over-arching topics of theological importance. Reading more detail about the process of the Reformation, as well as the social and political changes going on throughout Europe at the time is providing some additional insights.
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 12th January 2012, 4:02 pm

Following Pol's advice, I bought "Call the midwife" for the kindle last night and have read the introduction and first page so far!

I'm also re reading Mrs Gaskell's "North and South" and want to give Mr and Mrs Hale a good slap!
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 12th January 2012, 4:32 pm

Enjoy

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top