A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 18th August 2017, 4:27 pm

» whats on the menu
by Chilli-head 15th August 2017, 10:25 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

» Quilting
by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 11:58 am

» Host an Image wants a password
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 2:14 pm

» Drawings
by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 2nd July 2017, 10:15 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Ploshkin 30th June 2017, 10:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by FloBear 29th June 2017, 9:10 am

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44558 messages in 2315 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

JERKY!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default JERKY!!!

Post by flute on 26th October 2010, 1:05 pm

Does anyone know how to make beef jerky?

Been badgering dad for almost a year now but he hasn't asked and I can't find any recipes in the many preserving/recipes books in the house (believe me there are a few!). I suppose homemade beef jerky would taste different to shop bought, and would probably be a lot healthier, and I expect it would be cheaper too. I don't like beef too much, but I do like jerky!

................................................................................................................................
"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential. Who we are might be predetermined, but we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny.
Our destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged:
Every man is born as many men, but dies a single one." -Timothy McGee (NCIS)
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: JERKY!!!

Post by Mike on 26th October 2010, 2:34 pm

You haven't given us enough to go on (for example, we don't know if you want to make jerky by one of the ancient/traditional methods or using modern drying/smoking gear).

What I suggest is that you start by googling jerky and ignoring all the sites that are selling jerky look at those providing information about making jerky. Trust me, you'll easily find plenty of them ranging all the way from those describing how to do it using modern equipment to re-enactor sites describing how to do it the old fashioned way.

................................................................................................................................
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by flute on 26th October 2010, 2:45 pm

Ok! Thankyou. Will do that and get back to you! chef2

"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential. Who we are might be predetermined, but we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny.
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 26th October 2010, 9:11 pm

Hi Flute. Yes we are great jerky makers at Schloss Rhomboid. Leopold has been wolfing it down since he was first able to chew. And yes home-made tastes loads better than shop bought.

Essentially, you slice the meat very thin, marinate it for a while, then dry it in either a dehydrator or the oven on lowest possible setting with the door left ajar, or, assuming you are not in England but somewhere very hot and sunny, outside in the sun.

As to the marinade - there are endless differenet versions out there and it comes down to personal taste and expeimetation. Soy sauce and worcestershire sauce are the base ingredients, then spices, brown sugar or molasses, garlic, chilli, powdered onion, pepper, blah blah whatever you like really.

When cutting the meat, you want just lean meat - trim off every bit of fat you can see (except marbling) - the fat will go rancid otherwise, cut with the grain, and as thin as you can - I find it easiest to do this if the meat is chilled to almost frozen.

Make sure the meat is covered with the marinade ingredients and leave 12 hours then turn it all over and leave 12 hours longer. Then take it out and let it dry off a little (chuck the marinade away at this point).

It usually takes about 6 hours to dry it properly in our dehydrator but this is dependent on how thinly sliced the meat is.

If done properly and stored in an airtight container it should keep 6 months or so. Although it has never lasted more than 48 hours in our house.

Venison jerky is absolutely, as is pigeon (although you will need a lot of pigeons to make a reasonable quantity).

Happy munching.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by flute on 26th October 2010, 9:34 pm

Thankyou! I will have to experiment. Good job it's half term!

As it's dried and can be stored for a long time (ish), does the marinade have to include a lot of salt?

flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 26th October 2010, 10:45 pm

The soy is the salt. It is not so much the time you store it as the actually jerking process itself (low temperature, mositure, meat) that is a potential funpark for botulism bacteria and so on. You could add a little sodium nitrite if you were really worried. I don't.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on 27th October 2010, 1:21 am

Any top tips on making a dehydrator?
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 27th October 2010, 6:15 pm

Heat source, fan, air-permeable trays, box.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 9th November 2010, 10:05 pm

Wooden toy box on end, 40w light bulb inside at bottom and a screaned vent at the bottom and top for airflow. The light being on the bottom will send warm air out the top vent drawing fresh air from the bottom.

I bought a toy box and all the bits but never got arround to putting it together before we moved countries Rolling Eyes

Its on my to do list Laughing

Question for you Billy (and anyone else) What about parasites? If the meat is just marinated and dried, does it kill any nasties the meat might be carrying? Would love to do it with deer (if I get one this year) but dont want to catch anything icky.

Laugh and the world laughs with you, laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they'll leave you alone!

The Gods answer all our prayers. Unfortunately, sometimes, the answer is no!

"When in doubt, choose to live!"
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top