A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

Ploshkin

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Today at 10:01 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44716 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default I'm dreaming of a green Christmas

Post by Jaded Green on 22nd November 2010, 5:13 pm

I’ve been wondering when to start this thread. (I actually wrote much of this last night and lost it!)
I hate starting Christmas too early, but realistically I think a lot of us are making preparations. I bought “Woman and Home” a couple of weeks ago to read on a train and ended up putting it away as I did not feel at all ready for Christmas articles. But I’m feeling Christmassy now, so thought I would start this thread.

The idea of this is to share tips, experiences, ideas, stories of sustainable Christmas things

I’ll start by talking about Christmas trees.

We always have a real one, but sometimes try to have a living one. We’ve killed off several in our time, but have managed to keep them all going for at least one more Christmas. When we had an allotment, we kept one there and Mr JG went up to dig it up on 23rd Dec. They always tended to be so much more expensive than cut ones, but last year I noticed Homebase were selling small living trees for £10. In fact, by the time we got there they only had a couple of very pathetic ones left and we ended up getting a different species of tree for £15. However, it has survived the year and will be coming indoors again in about a month’s time. We will try to keep it alive for as many years as we can.

My parents bought a tree their first Christmas together and as it had a damaged top it never grew very big so it was dug up for many years. It moved house twice and is still growing in their garden, although it has not been brought indoors for a long time. It is now over 50 years old.

I love real trees, but it does bother me that so many are put into landfill after Christmas
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: I'm dreaming of a green Christmas

Post by Adrian on 22nd November 2010, 5:26 pm

Always real greenery here, we tend to have a wander around our land and earmark one to cut down the weekend before the day...

I must remember to sort a better stand this year, last year it kept falling over Shocked

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 22nd November 2010, 5:29 pm

Oh the rows we used to have trying to get the tree into a strand until we got one that was idiot proof. Another advantageof a real tree in a pot of soil of course Very Happy
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 22nd November 2010, 5:35 pm

I will confess to a fake tree. It has lasted many years & is just the right size for us. About once every 10 years I go for the real thing, but the expense puts me off a bit. Do I feel guilty, well no I don`t cos it doesn`t end up in landfill & it makes no mess to clear up, I can vary the size so sometimes its big & other times small.

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 22nd November 2010, 5:40 pm

Jaded Green wrote:Oh the rows we used to have trying to get the tree into a strand until we got one that was idiot proof. Another advantageof a real tree in a pot of soil of course Very Happy

Every year I promise m'self that I will dig up a decent small tree, pot it up and on and keep it addicted to drugs and every year I fail.

Maybe next spring I will remember

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 22nd November 2010, 5:44 pm

Fake trees are very sustainable and good value for money.

Badger - it must be lovely to take a tree from your own woods
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 22nd November 2010, 5:52 pm

We dig one up as well, and some years buy a local one grown in a pot rather than brutally transplanted with sod all roots in Nov...

Which has then gone out, in the pot, and lived until next year...

Last year we got achopped off one in a stand and were really suprised at how long it lasted...

Have also had branches from the wood stuck in buckets some years...dofferent, but nice

And yes have a small fibre optic tree we bought more than 15 years ago which goes on the dining room every year.

Perhaps we need a separate tree thead? as well as a general christmas one?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 22nd November 2010, 5:55 pm

Green Xmas tip #1: post Christmas shake all the needles off you r tree and every other tree you find put out for the dustmen, and use them to mulch your blueberries and other acid-loving plants.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 22nd November 2010, 5:57 pm

Compostwoman wrote:
Perhaps we need a separate tree thead? as well as a general christmas one?

make it so

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 22nd November 2010, 6:02 pm

Erm..where should it go though? not really Compost or Greenhouse, and not really trees either...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 22nd November 2010, 6:09 pm

crafts?

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by budburst12 on 22nd November 2010, 7:02 pm

last year we went for a walk down by our local brook and found the most gorgeous dead plants - I think they're indian balsam, which grows quite invasively alongside many streams and rivers around here. When dead they're ghostly white and a lovely size and shape for sticking in a pot and covering with tiny decorations. We liked ours so much we've kept it (without decorations) in the dining room all year.

I also do my green bit by making as many of my christmas presents as I can or buying locally produced stuff instead. This has been a really nice way of learning new craft activities.. although my present receivers may have other things to say about that - looking back, there have been some dodgy ones! This year I'm knitting, chocolate making, wood turning and felting.

And for me one of the best things about christmas is good food. I try to make all kinds of tasty goodies from scratch, with lovely local ingredients wherever I can or I buy what I can't make from local producers where that's possible. There's a fantastic local chocolatier who I feel obliged to buy from - all in the name of doing my bit of course! Wink
budburst12

http://oakhousepermaculture.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 22nd November 2010, 7:16 pm

The Special Needs Unit at our school spend time every year making jam and chutney which they sell to buy things they need. We've stocked up with various things which will be lovely for Christmas, is home made (well, school made...) and will provide funds where they're needed. It's also good practice for the children to learn a craft and work as a team. (They also enjoyed a breather from lessons when the plum jam boiled over and set the fire alarm off!)

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 23rd November 2010, 10:04 pm

Tomorrow I'm off round the charity shops to try to find some nice cards. I had a look online whilst I was stuck in bed last week, but couldn't see anything I liked much. Am hoping they will look better in the shops.

For a couple of years I have been thinking if designing (or getting the Junior Jadeds to do it as they are more artistically talented) and getting printed some postcards to save on paper (ie no envelopes) Miss JG has suggested we buy small cards!

I have some of those Christmas card re-use labels from FoE, but haven't quite had the courage to use them and the Junior Jadeds think they are a real no-no

I do like sending and receiving cards. Christmas is the only time of year I am in touch with quite a few people and it is nice to have that annual point of contact.

What do you all do?

Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 27th January 2011, 9:25 pm

Now that it's all over I was wondering if anyone has decided to do anything in a more sustainable way next Christmas?

I know there's been some posts about making gifts and starting now (excellent idea on both counts) I think I will try and knit some gifts and am wondering about edible gifts too.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who had been very impressed when she heard we had our Christmas tree growing in a pot and just brought it indoors. She is planning to try to get a living tree herself next year.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 27th January 2011, 9:45 pm

I have literally thousands of Balsam Firs on my property and every year I get so busy in the spring that I forget to dig up a small one to pot up for the next Yule - maybe this year...

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top