A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 19th March 2017, 1:01 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

» Mobile phones
by freebird 3rd December 2016, 12:39 pm

» What veg do you never need to buy ?
by Dandelion 1st December 2016, 7:30 pm

» Reusing feathers from pillow for darught excluder??
by Jaded Green 1st December 2016, 5:10 pm

» November garden sowings
by Chilli-head 25th November 2016, 10:59 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 15th November 2016, 10:36 am

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44079 messages in 2293 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae?

Post by BertieFox on 4th January 2011, 2:11 pm

We have a spring with a fairly small flow, a gallon or so every few minutes, which runs into a small stream. I've have made a pond by damming this to make an area about eight feet by four or five. As the water is very clean and pure (we drink it as our household supply) I thought it would be ideal for a decorative pond with water lilies and so on.
However, as soon as summer arrives, the pond fills up with thick choking pond weed and algae. Even pulling it out on a weekly basis it seems to grow back as quickly as we do this.
Water lilies survive but never thrive as they can't compete.
There is a through-put as the water flows out at the bottom end.
Watercress grows very successfully in the stream bed.
The one thing I have noticed is that the water leaves a red deposit on stones and the banks, which I guess is iron. The water here is very hard as we are in a limestone area.
Is there anything I can do about this, or would I be better off simply creating a stagnant pond instead (which I can fill with stream water)?
We've had the water tested and nitrate levels are supposed to be well below any danger limits.
BertieFox

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

default Re: Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae?

Post by Sparhawk on 4th January 2011, 10:26 pm

Excess algae is often caused by too many nutrients in the water, is it possible to put a load of barley straw across the input end, we get our barly straw from the pets corner in the local cheapie shop, if you could stuff it into a net bag & lay it across the in end so that the water filters through it, after about six weeks the straw begins to break down & releases a natural substance that breaks down algae...

The other thing is to provide some shade to stop the sun getting to it, but water lillies do this when they grow so hopefully, reducing the amount of algae with the straw will allow the lillies to flourish...

Even after all this nature still needs an occasional hand & standing twizzling a bamboo cane in a pond to take out algae blooms can be very relaxing.... Smile

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie on 6th January 2011, 10:51 am

I do that with mine, Spar, works a treat Very Happy I shove the straw in an old stocking... recylcing.. Cool Laughing Wink

................................................................................................................................

http://www.lilypads.biz/
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

default Barley Straw in streams

Post by BertieFox on 6th January 2011, 11:46 am

I can see that this solution (barley straw) works in ponds as there is an interaction between the water and the straw. Some people say it produces peroxide (Iowa State University included), others that it merely attracts algae and filters it out of the water.
I guess in a stream with a constant throughput of water I'd need to replace the barley straw fairly often, but it's worth giving it a go by putting a barley straw 'filter' over the input.
Ah well, it will soon be summer and I can give it a try!
BertieFox

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 6th January 2011, 2:50 pm

The red might be algae also.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 6th January 2011, 5:20 pm

BertieFox wrote:I can see that this solution (barley straw) works in ponds as there is an interaction between the water and the straw. Some people say it produces peroxide (Iowa State University included), others that it merely attracts algae and filters it out of the water.
I guess in a stream with a constant throughput of water I'd need to replace the barley straw fairly often, but it's worth giving it a go by putting a barley straw 'filter' over the input.
Ah well, it will soon be summer and I can give it a try!

Even if it reduces it to a managable level to allow other things to take over, I must admit I have only used it in pond settings, but it is what I would try & it won't cause harm, infact the barley straw does create a small habitat of its own... Smile

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe on 10th January 2011, 4:05 am

The water lily doesn't like flowing water so that may be a reason it hasn't grown strongly. Can you tuck it into a becalmed area? (Also coypu love the roots)

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top