A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 26th May 2017, 2:26 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by Ploshkin 23rd May 2017, 10:59 pm

» The May garden - catch up time !
by FloBear 23rd May 2017, 4:36 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 20th May 2017, 6:55 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44252 messages in 2301 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords

Post by Adrian on 8th January 2011, 10:11 pm

Our thoughts are tonight with U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and the others shot today

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/08/arizona.shooting/index.html

Shocking and disturbing news

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

default Re: Our thoughts with Gabrielle Giffords

Post by Lakshmi on 8th January 2011, 10:32 pm

I did see that on the web just before login in. do we know what the rally was about?

I am saddened whenever I see such an attack.

I consider politics something we should want to be part of for many reasons, one being that the more we are interested in it the less it becomes a "club" for the "rulers".
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 8th January 2011, 10:34 pm

More disturbing was Sarah Palin's "bullseye" target on her website - Mrs Giffords was number 8 on the Tea Party "hit list". Of course, this has been taken down now...

World going bonkers.
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi on 8th January 2011, 10:38 pm

Hathorite, let's hope this wasn't somebody taking the frightening Mrs Palin's website to the letter!
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th January 2011, 10:41 pm

Was appalled to see that allegedly Palin had something on her website which appeared to juxtapose removal of this Congresswoman with attending some shooting event, a month ago?

A friend blogged about it....I couldn't find the bit on the Palin website anymore to see for myself...but still..... Shocked if so a worrying thing...

Appalling stuff...All those poor people killed and hurt

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 8th January 2011, 10:50 pm

Yes: here it is. It was still up on the Palin site till about a few hours ago. I do imagine someone decided to take it literally - but considering how vehement the Tea Party is, arguing they never intended anyone to take it literally is rubbish.

Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 8th January 2011, 10:54 pm

It was these two images CW

On the same page - Palin (or a flunky) took them down today and also remove the tweet made by Palin that stated "Don't retreat - reload"

Representative Gabrielle Giffords on Violent Political Rhetoric, March 2010

January 8, 2011 in Students

“Are you afraid? Are you fearful today?”
“You know, I’m not. We’ve had hundreds and hundreds of protesters over the course of the last several months. Our office corner has become a place where the Tea Party has congregated. And the rhetoric has become incredibly heated. Not just the calls, but the emails, the slurs.

So things have really gotten spun up. But you gotta think about it. Our democracy is a light, a beacon really around the world because we effect change at the ballot box, and not because of these outbursts — of violence in certain cases, and the yelling, and it’s just … you know, change is important, it’s a part of our process, but it’s really important that we focus on the fact that we have a democratic process.”

“I think it’s important for all leaders, not just leaders of the Republican Party or the Democratic Party … community leaders, figures in our community to say, ‘Look, we can’t stand for this.’ I mean, this is a situation where people really need to realize that this rhetoric, and firing people up, and even things … For example, we’re on Sarah Palin’s targeted list, but the way she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gunsight over our district. And when people do that, they’ve gotta realize that there’s consequences to that action.”

“In the years that some of my colleagues have served, twenty, thirty
years, they’ve never seen it like this. We have to work out our problems by negotiating, working together, hopefully Democrats and Republicans.”

Its a sad sad day.

Last edited by Badger on 8th January 2011, 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th January 2011, 10:55 pm

Blimey, the shooting event was "shoot an M16 with Jesse Kelly" ...Who was the Tea Party candidate whom this Congresswoman beat last election.....

Hmmm.....

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th January 2011, 10:57 pm

Ooops sorry Badger, cross posted there....

Not suggesting for one moment that Palin et al had anything to do with this BUT surely that sort of ad is enough to make a nut job think it's a good idea?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 8th January 2011, 11:01 pm

Palins rhetoric has been laden with gun imagary of late, I hope that the FBI take that in to account when considering what incited this horrible attack.

Lakshi - Giffords was holding a regular event outside a grocery store at a mall- all about making sure that her constituents had access to her.

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th January 2011, 11:03 pm

Makes me glad we don't have gun laws in the UK like they do in the US of A........

Last edited by Compostwoman on 8th January 2011, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 8th January 2011, 11:20 pm

Makes me glad that parties and politicians who advocate hate and violence in the UK get taken to task for it - viz Griffin, Hamza, EDL etc. Sarah Palin reminds me of something form a Stephen King novel.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th January 2011, 11:21 pm

I agree Billy...am always astonished that the US of A can allow people like her free rein....

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 8th January 2011, 11:25 pm

A friend told me that he and family left the US because of this vast split in the political scene and the violent rhetoric and obtuseness of the tea party led Right. He said that there are fears for the stability of the Union because of the ideological divisions..

Fortunately, few of our cousins to the south know that my part of Canada exists, let alone know where it is..

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 9th January 2011, 7:55 am

This sort of thing is why I fled the US - it got pretty bad when Bush was in power; you didn't dare speak out against the war even on your blogs or you'd get a "visit" from men in suits. Wish I was making that up.

It's turning well mad over there, and though the UK seems to be going in the same direction, albeit a bit slower (remember Moat anyone? Remember Derrick Bird? Gun laws didn't help) I wouldn't go back to the states, even though I'd love some space I could disappear in, and the US certainly has that. They'll never catch people like this as the US is just too big. Militants hole up in the mountains somewhere and you'd never know they were there.

Anyway, this is all rather depressing so turning my thoughts elsewhere.
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 9th January 2011, 5:47 pm

Astonishing news.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/09/gabrielle-giffords-critical-condition-shooting-arizona

Doctors at the University Medical Center, at a press conference this afternoon, said Giffords, a 40-year-old Democratic member of the House of Representatives, was communicating with them and able to follow simple commands. She had had surgery to remove bone fragments and some damaged brain tissue, they revealed.

Six other people, including a nine-year-old girl, a federal judge and a member of Giffords's staff, were killed when a gunman opened fire outside a supermarket in Tucson where Giffords was meeting with constituents, shooting 18 people.

Dr Peter Rhee, the medical director of the hospital's trauma and critical care unit, said a bullet had passed directly through her brain.

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 9th January 2011, 9:11 pm

Whereas if Palin got shot in the head there would be an even possibility the bullet would not pass through any brain matter at all.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi on 9th January 2011, 10:55 pm

where is the "like" button?
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th January 2011, 11:01 pm

You must spend time on Fb Lakshmi lol!

I thought that as well Embarassed

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 9th January 2011, 11:22 pm

you will notice a small plus and minus sign on the right of posts - this is our version of Facebook Like...

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th January 2011, 11:26 pm

Badger wrote:you will notice a small plus and minus sign on the right of posts - this is our version of Facebook Like...

Blimey when did that appear?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 9th January 2011, 11:27 pm

about 2 minutes ago

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th January 2011, 11:40 pm

Badger wrote:about 2 minutes ago

lol!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by megarver on 1st March 2011, 6:04 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Whereas if Palin got shot in the head there would be an even possibility the bullet would not pass through any brain matter at all.

This is my first visit to the forum, and I just happened across this thread. I am not a huge Palin supporter, but this comment and some of the preceding ones just seem cruel and slightly out of place. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed....I guess this is not the kind of forum I thought it was going to be.

bye all
megarver

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 1st March 2011, 6:46 pm

I'd always thought that Tragedy + Time = Humor

Like saying the Bush II administration wasn't simply rearanging the deck chairs on the titanic, but more like re-stringing the lights on the Hindenberg.

See, that's funny.

Of course, there's a direct correlation between the magnitude of the Tragedy vs. the Time required to be funny. I think we're still a long way off from making Auschwitz jokes. However, saying things like "Oh, well, you know who else was a vegetarian painter? Hitler!" can be funny in the right context.

I guess what I'm saying is, we started out this thread with all of us expressing our deepest regards for those who were injured or killed in this tragedy. If somewhere along the line, we lighten the mood, and try to make it bearable by taking the wind out of someone else, indirectly, well that's human nature. It's how we deal with things, especially those things we can't hardly wrap our mind around.

Just my two bits worth. Color may vary, warranty void if seal tape removed or damaged.
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top