A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 16th October 2017, 9:26 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 16th October 2017, 5:54 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 3rd October 2017, 8:28 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 3rd October 2017, 2:22 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

Statistics
We have 633 registered users
The newest registered user is domestic

Our users have posted a total of 44794 messages in 2328 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Chicken toenails and yak kneecaps?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: Chicken toenails and yak kneecaps?

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 8th February 2011, 1:40 pm

First time I ever ate tongue, my mom had cooked it, but hadn't quite trimmed it all correct. First time she'd ever made it, btw. Made me promise not to tell my brothers what was in the stew!! Hers turned out pretty tough. I love her dearly, but she's not exactly a culinary genius. I've had it again since (I never turn down food, as my general body shape can attest!) and, like other tough cuts, it can be made into something nice with the right preparation.
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginny on 8th February 2011, 1:57 pm

I think that with many of these animal body parts, it's more of a psychological barrier to get over than any taste issues.
But where do you draw the line ? Smile
Ginny

http://www.barnwoodinn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 8th February 2011, 2:37 pm

I don't draw the line at any body part. Our home reared pigs we use pretty much all of - I generally discard the eyeballs, and the slaughterhouse discards intestines, although you can keep them to wash out for sausage skins. We use the lungs, stomach, bladder, offal, skin, snouts, ears, brains etc etc. We biol the bones and render the fat.
The crucial difference, however, is that our pigs have lived healthy happy outdoor lives.
The pigs they use for the meat slurry (yes that is the correct technical term) that is made into luncheon meat and Spam and so on are from the very lowest rung of animal husbandry. The treatment of intensively reared bacon pigs is bad enough - their not having enough space to turn around in, or routine tail docking for example - but is way better than the wretched beasts that end up in tins. It makes battery hen farming look positively humane, and for my part I would not eat it under any circumstances unless my very existence depended on it.
If meat becomes so expensive I can only afford tinned horror I will just not eat meat.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th February 2011, 3:15 pm

I agree with Billy. Even at my most impoverished ( and that was pretty poor....) I would not have eaten tinned meat.

If cost is the issue ( and of course money is tight for all of us! except for the very weathiest.....ie those who are in Government...!) then there are other options than mechanically recovered, moulded, additiv'ed tinned stuff.

Not trying to get at anyone btw, just saying it.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginny on 8th February 2011, 3:25 pm

Totally agree. Groceries are expensive here too but with a bit of canny shopping you can eat well. And, when the seasons come around, anything at all from the garden is better than the best of the supermarket offerings.
Ginny

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 8th February 2011, 7:39 pm

I like eating tongue but I've never cooked it (I'm the only one in the family who likes it so I make sandwiches and freeze them.) Would love to have the nerve to go into the butchers and say 'Gimme some tongue but don't give me no lip'........

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 8th February 2011, 7:46 pm

Eugh... Didn't realise they put tongue & tripe in Luncheon Meat/Spam/Chopped Ham & Pork, & to think I actually quite like it...

I did know about the rest of it though...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 8th February 2011, 7:49 pm

Dandelion wrote:Would love to have the nerve to go into the butchers and say 'Gimme some tongue but don't give me no lip'........

lol. dread to think what you would say if you wanted some rump steak.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 8th February 2011, 9:20 pm

I was/am aware of what is in the tins, but as an alternative I enjoy them.

So is anyonw going to come up with some more recipes?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th February 2011, 10:50 pm

Sorry Pol, but as I don't use it, I can't really suggest any special recipies...all I can suggest is to use it in place of Ham or Bacon...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginny on 8th February 2011, 11:20 pm

sparhawk wrote:Eugh... Didn't realise they put tongue & tripe in Luncheon Meat/Spam/Chopped Ham & Pork, & to think I actually quite like it...

Not sure that they do put tongue and tripe in tinned meats; was just curious about how adventurous people are with their meats. But if you told me that chicken toenails and yak kneecaps went into it I wouldn't be surprised. Razz
Ginny

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th February 2011, 11:27 pm

Ginny wrote:
sparhawk wrote:Eugh... Didn't realise they put tongue & tripe in Luncheon Meat/Spam/Chopped Ham & Pork, & to think I actually quite like it...

Not sure that they do put tongue and tripe in tinned meats; was just curious about how adventurous people are with their meats. But if you told me that chicken toenails and yak kneecaps went into it I wouldn't be surprised. Razz

They do well the poultry, porcine, bovine and ovine equivalents, and you would be sick if you ever saw it.

I have seen it, in real life not just on the TV. it made me throw up.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginny on 8th February 2011, 11:29 pm

Yuuuuk !
Ginny

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th February 2011, 11:41 pm

Basically the carcass is hosed down with a high pressure hose and all the meat, and any allowable bit of animal goes into a giant mincer and the resultant slurry is made into patties, tinned meat etc...

so if you have ever eaten a burger at a fair or street stall etc or any really cheap burgers it was quite possibly made from this. Likewise really cheap chicken stuff ( nuggets, anything "shaped" or "formed" etc...)

Basically if it is not identifieable bits of meat...beware...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by danksshady on 9th February 2011, 7:26 am

I don't actually find tinned meats to be cheap really Question
Compared weight for weight with fresh meat I find it dearer
danksshady

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 9th February 2011, 8:26 am

As I said before it is not what goes into that is the issue - after all why should cheek be a delicacy and lip be grotesque? - so much as the provenance of the meat and the crueal and inhumane way it is reared. I don't eat battery hens and I don't eat battery pork.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th February 2011, 11:20 am

It may not be what goes into tinned meats which is the issues with you, Billy. But other people might not be aware how/what they are made from.

Ginny expressed an interest in what went into MRM; I elucidated. Wasn't
actually making a judgement on whether it was OK to eat certain bits
but not others, simply supplying information.

Personally I would eat pretty well any part of a decently reared animal ( not keen on chicken feet although I think they are a delicacy somewhere)

But a lot of people would prefer not to eat certain bits ( Tripe, Offal etc)

Anyway, getting a bit OT here, perhaps we should have a separate thread to discuss the ethics of tinned meats?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 9th February 2011, 5:01 pm

Ginny wrote:

I was trying to gently coax, it back towards the original theme of the topic... Cool

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 9th February 2011, 5:13 pm

Those ingredients in full:
Pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, beef hearts, water, salt, and less than 2 percent: mustard, flavourings, dried garlic, dextrose, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite.

I can think of some recipes that use pork skin, and some for beef hearts and even tripe, but not the others, and not really in combination.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 9th February 2011, 5:14 pm

I think I will give up on this thread!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Chicken toenails and yak kneecaps?

Post by Ginny on 9th February 2011, 6:19 pm

Ooops Laughing
Ginny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie on 10th February 2011, 9:07 am

I have to say I wouldn't touch anything that had been brought up intensively... having lived on a intensive pig farm from birth til Dad got out of it... Neutral
A more gruesome and heart breaking sight, I've yet to see as pigs that can't turn round, kept in darkness, farrowed so they just have room to lay down, but not turn... it's awful... You woulnd't keep a rabbit in a shoe box would you? Or a mouse in a ring box? So why oh why, is it OK for livestock? If I can't afford meat that has had the chance to actually enjoy a bit of life, I'd rather go without. We only have meat a couple of time a week max, so, if bits have been raised ethically, fine... if not.. I don't want to know... sorry if I'm being arsey (I don't do it often...), but I fought this debate for decades with dad, and was so happy when he got out of pig farming...and to be honest, I'm quite surprised to see it even on here...sorry Embarassed

http://www.lilypads.biz/
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 10th February 2011, 9:39 am

I haven't eaten meat for years (recently started due to a certain Mr Rhomboid!) but it wasn't a "cute fluffy bunny" thing, it was after seeing programmes about intensive/battery farming and learning about all the crap that was being pumped into meat.

Now there are better alternatives available, albeit a bit more expensive, I can have a free range chicken, which I can make loads of meals out of, or some bacon and sausages (local free range pork, or Billy's Laughing ) If I can't afford it then I won't buy it, certainly wouldn't be buying any meat in a tin and would rather do without.

Surely doing without is more frugal as well as more ethical?
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 10th February 2011, 11:52 am

I Still think there are two separate issues here:

1.) what goes into processed foods
2.) how animals for cheap food are reared

Point 1 - whether there is lip and tripe and testicle in your bargain burger. This is not an ethical or moral issue. It is just a question of how squeamish you are. I would argue that if you are going to kill animals to eat then you have a moral obligation to use as much of the animal as is edible, and use the remainder for other purposes - glue, leather etc. The process of mechanical separation of meat and the resulting mush may not strike you as appealing but it is really no different to making stock from carcasses. If the meat is good to begin with, then really what is the issue? There is certainly nothing cruel about it. The animal is dead. It would be far less green to discard carcasses without retrieving the maximum possible of nutrional material from them.

Point 2 - how animals are reared in intensive factory conditions to provide 'value' foodstuffs. This is a moral and ethical issue. Battery farming of chickens for eggs and meat is an atrocity. debeaked, crammed into tiny spaces up to their hocks in their own faeces to the point of suffering ammonia burns. The treatment of mass-produced pigs is even worse. The standard amount of space allowed for a pig is about 7 sq ft. That is standing room only. No turning, becuase movement is an 'undesirable action' which will make the meat less soft and tender. Pigs are intelligent creatures that thrive on being able to run about. Cramming them, many thousands at a time into temperature controlled sheds where they never see sunlight or even get to walk is vile and unnatural. All this is done to produce cheap meat.

The environmental impact of all this mass-production is a further issue. Intensive rearing requires vast tracts of land to provide the feeds to shovel into the conveyor belt, huge quantities of water sluicing down and is responsible for much more GHG emissions than traditional farming. To say nothing of the manure issues.

Yes it is cheaper to eat 'value' meat, but at what cost?
You can get 3 chickens for a fiver at Tesco, you can get 18 battery eggs for the price of six free range and you probably won't have any hoof or lip or tripe in any of it but does that make it acceptable?

Given that part of the ethos of this site is:
We believe that the homemade life is one that tries to avoid mass production, and attempts to reduce the amount of toxic products that have become part of our daily lives and routines.

It seems to me incompatible with endorsing factory farming practices that are inhumane, unsustainable for the planet and deleterious to human health.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 10th February 2011, 4:08 pm

except that the MRM issue is usually from factory farmed meat put into cheap foods such as ready meals, pies, sausages and burgers

So the two issues ( how meat is reared and what goes into foodstuffs) are linked IMO, probably more so with factory farmed meat than free range meat.

I say this because it seems to me, from observation of butchers and chats with friends who raise organic or free range meat, that meat reared to higher welfare standards tends to be sold as " whole bits" of carcass - chops, joints etc,

so there is less destined for the MRM process ( if at all!) than the cruelly raised meat, where the so called best bits are removed and packaged for a supermarket and the rest is MRM and minced up etc...

So to me at least the two issues are fairly closely linked.

It is not about the issue of what is in the bargain burger, so much as the concept of MRM is easier to apply to a carcass if it has already been "de animalised" by cruel and unkind treatment when alive.

Not sure if that is too clear; I am on meds for my back pain and my thoughts are a bit fuzzy!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top