A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 635 registered users
The newest registered user is lrover

Our users have posted a total of 44877 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Japan...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Japan...

Post by Sparhawk on 15th March 2011, 1:04 am

I'm sure our hearts go out to the Japanese people, & I'm sure that most of us are witnessing & are horrified by some of the worst natural devastation that we have ever seen...

20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing...

But surely the International Atomic Energy Commission should be given some statutary international powers to regulate the situating of nuclear power plants, if we must have them, it is making a bad situation even worse...

Or could this be the catalyst that is needed to make the world properly develop better & safer ways of energy generation?

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Japan...

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 15th March 2011, 8:04 am

Given that Japan has no option but Nuclear energy where would you put them? TBH for a 40 year old reactor that has suffered a catastrophic earthquake I am surrised at how well it is doing, relatively speaking.

................................................................................................................................
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 15th March 2011, 8:57 am

I hope so, Spar.

Regarding Japan, to me there is a world of difference between having a few Nuclear power stations to supply needs and having more than 50 plants ( as Japan does) to supply needs and also an awful lot of energy " wants".

Especially if the plants are all are sited on a well known area of tectonic plate activity so would all be at high risk of earthquake damage.

Also although this plant has not has any documented incidents of high risk afaik, there have, of course, been other nuclear accidents in Japan

I hope that this will cause a rethink about Nuclear power , all over the world. Looks like it already has, if I heard the radio news correctly.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 15th March 2011, 10:24 am

Japan's ~50 nuclear power plants supply only about 1/3 of its electricity "wants".

I have quite an attachment to Japan and it's people, having spent a bit of time there on several visits, and having good friends near to Tokyo. However, a walk around Tokyo at night, where the lights of a plethora of signs turn night into day, certainly shows that CW is right about "wants" rather than needs. Electricity is burnt like it is free. Even the toilet seats are electrically heated Exclamation

It is by no means just the Japanese who need to rethink energy usage though !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 15th March 2011, 2:53 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Japan's ~50 nuclear power plants supply only about 1/3 of its electricity "wants".

I have quite an attachment to Japan and it's people, having spent a bit of time there on several visits, and having good friends near to Tokyo. However, a walk around Tokyo at night, where the lights of a plethora of signs turn night into day, certainly shows that CW is right about "wants" rather than needs. Electricity is burnt like it is free. Even the toilet seats are electrically heated Exclamation

It is by no means just the Japanese who need to rethink energy usage though !

That is what I was getting at. Yes it is by no means just in Japan that energy is wasted...but to have no natural energy sources so you need to rely on nuclear plants and then to be so conspicuously consuming that you need a lot (more) of them seems a bit odd to me.

Obviously I wouldn't wish what has happened on anyone....but I have always thought an area of high risk for earthquakes seemed inherently a risky place to have so many plants.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee on 16th March 2011, 12:35 pm

whilst on the topic of conserving energy. Please check out this link

It started a few years ago here in Australia with two cities taking part. It has now gone global and becomes a time to rethink our energy consumption.
Also a great way to connect the family with a game of cards or board game by candlelight.

Here in Brisbane we hv big events that are electricity free now so please check it out and encourage others to do the same
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Penny on 23rd March 2011, 7:57 am

Hi! Been off this forum for a bit due to eyes giving me wobblies.

This topic is a good one. I get really tired of people calling nuclear power "clean". There's a plant within twenty five miles of us (I think that's right -- I know it's close) which has a history of every year having leaks and improperly stored materials and incorrectly dealt with upkeep issues. I have a two-page list of the lies and stupid things the plant's management have done in the last ten years, the radioactivity released into our rivers, etc.

And the national Nuclear Regulatory Agency has okayed it for twenty more years. It's one of the oldest plants in the country.

The true price of nuclear power begins with the mines and the processing which poison miles of land and rivers. I forget how far the river takes the radioactive tailings. It's nasty stuff.

What works, works.
What doesn't work, doesn't work.
Reality always wins.
Penny

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi on 23rd March 2011, 10:54 am

and what about the nuclear power station situated on the fault line in California?? Nice one, I thought, when I heard of it.
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 23rd March 2011, 11:15 am

The Longsufferingspouse has just pointed out that our nearest nuclear power station is across the bay about half as far away from us as Tokyo is from the Fukushima plant.

I had no idea, though the chances of an earthquake and tsunami in the bay of Fundy are absurdly small.

Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 23rd March 2011, 7:11 pm

Mm Bay of Fundy = Highest tidal drop in the world ( you have the biggest, River Severn next one ) so a very small tsunami would funnel right up the B of F a bit like the tidal Bore does, I would think.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 23rd March 2011, 7:44 pm

Yeah, but the tidal bore only really runs up part of North eastern NS, you can go tidal bore rafting for run there, in fact the LSS did it last year and had a blast.

Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top