A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by FloBear Yesterday at 3:17 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44187 messages in 2298 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

The magazine rack

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default The magazine rack

Post by Chilli-head on 1st April 2011, 1:27 pm

Over time I've done a fair bit of woodworking, but most of what I have made has been fairly straightforward designs - "Shaker" style, predominantly right angles and straight lines. Most of what I know comes from watching my dad years ago, and "O" level woodwork ! So, looking for something to educate and inspire me with new styles and techniques, I've had a look at some of the magazines out there. First up, "British Woodworking".

British Woodworking, Feb/Mar '11, 76 pages (of which ~10 advertising) £3.75.

This one seems to lean toward tutorial / "how to" type articles, with some good stuff for beginners - planing, cutting a lap joint, etc. A bit light on projects perhaps with just two. The "beginner" project is a Shaker candle stand table - although the author uses it as a project to make with his son, it is fairly tricky with a turned leg, and router cut dovetails. The second "pro" project - a wardrobe, also features a lot of machine tooling - router for dovetailing and panel raising, biscuit joints ... It could be that I'm a bit of a Luddite, but I'd prefer to see more handworking. A "Gallery" section features furniture by top professionals - wow, certainly something to aspire to !

Anyone take any workshop related magazines they would like to recommend ? Mine for next month is "Fine Woodworking" from USA. Not finished reading it yet ...
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: The magazine rack

Post by Chilli-head on 26th April 2011, 5:58 pm

Just finished reading the May/June issue ( Exclamation ) of Fine Woodworking. This is the sort of thing I've been looking for, a some quite inspiring designs in here. It is a US magazine (Taunton Press), which does mean UK readers like me have to be happy with imperial units, and the adverts aren't all terribly relevant, but I can handle that. What a range of approaches - a fair space given over to techniques of power tool use (cutting dovetails with router and bandsaw - my school woodwork teacher would turn in his grave) but also an article about making a pair of wooden bodied grooving planes !

Some very nice stuff in the reader's gallery, a lovely Japanese inspired table and a wonderful curvy chair made from laminated wood. Just what I need to inspire me to move beyond very rectangular designs. The rocking chair project looks a bit challenging yet though.

Useful website too, and a lot of plans on line, a few free to non-subscribers. All the usual stuff - gallery, even a forum ...
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 6th June 2011, 11:06 pm

I've just finished reading the latest (June/July) issue of British Woodworking. Some things in there that might interest folks - an article on building a Mike Abbot shave horse, mention of the Bodgers' ball (with a picture of Robin Wood wielding a Japanese adze !). The issue is devoted to frugal woodworking, and as such covers old tools - buying second hand planes, and electrolytic rust removal. There is an article about sourcing wood on the cheap - solutions range from sawing up trees Surprised to skip diving - which some of us are very familiar with Embarassed

Nice coffee table design too. Not sure about turning the legs with a plane though - would have thought it was a good way of wrecking the plane by overheating the blade, and a halfway decent wood turner could do it without a jig !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 6th June 2011, 11:11 pm

It is published by the same crew who do "Living Woods" so am not surprised. I was at the Robin Wood demo ( have video of it!!) It was amazing!

I have an adze, an africal one, it is a bit scary to use....Cm gets all twitch when I take off the cover... Shocked

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 18th April 2012, 4:04 pm

The current issue of British Woodworking comes with a guide to "Wood based courses" - Woodcrafts, Furniture making, Bushcraft and Forestry. It includes those by Guy Mallinson and Mike Abbot, amongst many more. Temptation ... Very Happy
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top