A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Insect hotel
by Chilli-head Today at 11:30 am

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head Today at 11:23 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin Today at 10:06 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Dandelion 17th June 2017, 9:28 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:56 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44335 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

How Many Different Uses For... Click & see, too long to fit in title...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default How Many Different Uses For... Click & see, too long to fit in title...

Post by Sparhawk on 3rd April 2011, 12:24 am

"Underground, Overground, Wombling Free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folks leave behind.

We're so incredibly, utterly devious
Making the most of everything.
Even bottles and tins.
Pick up the pieces and make them into something new,
Is what we do!"

The lyrics from the first & last verse of "The Wombling Song"

Thinking of Elisabeth Beresford who passed away over the Xmas period, I thought it may be nice to pick an everyday object each month & see how many different ideas for uses we can come up with...

For April "Margarine cartons, ice cream tubs, & plastic trays from fruit & veg"...

Thanks Dandelion!!!

Last edited by Sparhawk on 3rd May 2011, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: How Many Different Uses For... Click & see, too long to fit in title...

Post by polgara on 3rd April 2011, 10:34 am

Ice cream tubs & marg cartons = storage in the freezer.

Plastic trays = grow trays for mustard & cress, or starting off seeds.

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: How Many Different Uses For... Click & see, too long to fit in title...

Post by Dandelion on 3rd April 2011, 1:24 pm

Ice cream tubs are great for storing smallish quantities of substances for the garden such as lime, which you don't use very often, and the cardboard box has gone all damp the next time you want to use it! The instructions can be taped to the lid with all-weather tape.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 3rd April 2011, 7:24 pm

When used with lids they can be useful to take sandwiches in to work, to store buns or pieces of tray bakes in. To store left over portions of food, or to store smaller portions of pureed food for a baby. I also have decorated some and used them to store sewing bits in like thread reels etc.

Mrs C

My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 8th April 2011, 1:09 pm

Marg tubs etc, cut up & used as plant labels.

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 8th April 2011, 2:03 pm

That's clever Pol. I usually use them whole, hadn't thought of using them as a "raw material".

I use the smaller ones for leftovers. Easy to take to work for lunches. Brought in beef stroganoff in an empty cottage cheese cup just yesterday!

I use a 5 qt bucket from icecream to keep my rice in the kitchen. Has a handle, I can keep a 1 c scoop in with it, works nicely. After about 2 years in service, it's getting a bit worn though, thinking we need more icecream, lol.

Flat trays from frozen meals are reused for other meals later. Sometimes frozen, sometimes just washed up and put to the cupboard for serving a sandwich for the kids later on, lol. Also use them for small trays for potting up something by onesies for peat pots. DD uses them for projects in art class so the doesn't get the kitchen table messy too. (BTW she's onto resin castings this couple of weeks. Don't need THAT on the wood top!)

I've heard you can use the veggie bins of smallish size, such as from sprouts or cherry tomatoes to make your own sprouts again, as long as you paper the bottom so the littls tykes don't fall through. Haven't tried it yet, just dipping my toe into sprouting at home.

Use to serve water to the dogs after play in the park. Take the dish along, and a reused water bottle to fill it with. Some of our dog parks have dog fountains, some don't. Oh, and if you've got a dog pack for yours (they love to have a job to do, you know!), they can carry it themselves!!

A million different imaginative toys and toy storage for the kids. It's everything from a swimming pool for Polly Pocket, to a place to bung in a half finished Lego project, lol.

Oh, and let's not forget water play, either outdoors time or bath time, for youngs. Also handy for hair washing for the ones still a bit leary of the shower hose.

These little delights come in so many shapes and sizes from 1 c from whipped cream cheese to 6 qt cauldrons, the list is endless. Almost a category unto itself!!!

EDIT: Were we supposed to submit these one at a time? Looking back, it looks like I've tried to hijack this thread!! Shocked Embarassed Laughing

Last edited by mr_sfstk8d on 8th April 2011, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I PUT IN SO MUCH!!)
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 8th April 2011, 3:08 pm

Not a problem MrS. Spar will have fun counting them at the end of the month Smile

The soft polytrays can be cut into circles & stuck onto the bottom of vases etc to stop scratches on surfaces.

Or as pallets for poster paint

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by danksshady on 8th April 2011, 4:41 pm

my son uses maarg tubs for seperating and storing the parts of his LEGO, K'nex and bionicles
danksshady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 8th April 2011, 8:15 pm

polgara wrote:Not a problem MrS. Spar will have fun counting them at the end of the month Smile

& here was me thinking it were your turn Wink

Hi-jack away Mr S... Laughing

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."

leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 8th April 2011, 11:07 pm

I can't think of anything else....

What about 5 kg drums of Diatom/ fat balls etc?

I have LOTS of uses for those...do they count in this month's thread?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 9th April 2011, 9:11 am

Compostwoman wrote:I can't think of anything else....

What about 5 kg drums of Diatom/ fat balls etc?

I have LOTS of uses for those...do they count in this month's thread?

Umm, errr, don't know what they look like, I could always add them to the listy & give them (& their like) their very own month... Cool

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th April 2011, 11:11 am

They look like the round lidded catering tubs for mayo? or fat balls for birds?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 10th April 2011, 1:38 am

Hmm, methinks that we may well be able to get a months worth out of that very soon... Wink

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 19th April 2011, 10:28 pm

The soft trays with a bit of string/tape/elastic as quick kneelers.

Quick insoles for hurty feet.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th April 2011, 11:58 am

Some ice cream tubs are made from more durable plastic - I have a couple of these which I have trimmed with a craft knife to reduce the height of the walls so thatthey're about an inch high, and I use them to open freeze soft fruit etc. The lids were used as paint palettes - especially good for acrylic paint.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy on 20th April 2011, 8:13 pm

I use some tubs for feed scoopers out in the barn, and then to feed the animals from too. I use some for holding drill bits, or screws, etc. I also use large pails in my freezer for berries and one for stale bread for future croutons. I also have a stash to empty my big flour and sugar bags in so during the seasons the humidity stays fairly constant and the bugs don't get in them. The clear containers I get are good for mini greenhouses atop precious seedlings in the garden.
Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 30th April 2011, 7:11 am

The trays make good packaging for delicate items in the post

Marg tubs, can make winter bird feeders, melt the fat. add the other bits & away you go. With smaller tubs, add something to hang it with.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 7th June 2011, 5:57 pm

The small oblong pate tubs make good soap dishes, if you have someone that uses hard soap.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top