A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by FloBear Yesterday at 6:06 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44873 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Homemade gifts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Homemade gifts

Post by Chilli-head on 23rd June 2011, 10:26 am

So, what to do for a wedding where the happy couple already have all they need, and ask for no gifts, but say we can make them something instead if we like. Sounds like a challenge. Here's what I've made:

The design is from British woodworking magazine, based on an original seen at a French winemakers. I've made mine from offcuts to hand - Iroko left over from making my front door, and a bit of beech for the sandwich filling. Pretty straightforward to make - the three crescents are marked out with a template, sawn out, and glued together. The final shaping I did with a pair of spokeshaves. Hole for the neck drilled with a 32mm holesaw - the tricky bit, because it would stand out like a sore thumb if it weren't exactly in the middle or drilled wonky. Finished with Osmo Polyx oil.

I suppose it should really have a bottle of homemade mead in it, so they could have a traditional "honeymoon"

wikipedia wrote:
In many parts of Europe it was traditional to supply a newly married couple with enough mead for a month, ensuring happiness and fertility. From this practice we get honeymoon or, as the French say, lune de miel
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Homemade gifts

Post by Compostwoman on 23rd June 2011, 10:48 am

That is beautiful, C-H !

A very lovely gift. How long did it take to make, out of interest?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 23rd June 2011, 12:33 pm

Thanks CW. Time is always difficult to estimate, because I tend to do in short bits fitted in when I can grab a moment. I guess I spent about 1 1/2 hours marking out, sawing and glueing up. The spokeshaving was surprisingly quick (if you exclude time spent fettling old spokeshaves off ebay !), then a few 10 minute sessions of oiling. Maybe about 3 hours ?
It would be a lot quicker to glue the boards together then saw the crescent shape through the lot on a band saw - less fiddly glueing and less spokeshave work - But I don't have one ..
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 23rd June 2011, 1:49 pm

It's really quite gorgeous. I do love it. Are there any dowel pegs, or strictly glue up? I kind of understand it to be glue up based on the description, plus it won't be carrying any heavy loads, lol. I love the contrast of the two woods. I'm sure it will find a favorite place for them. Great build!
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 23rd June 2011, 3:55 pm

That is a very nice pressy to have, with the added bonus of being very tactile which I just love. Well done.

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 24th June 2011, 9:33 am

Cool

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 24th June 2011, 12:03 pm

No dowels used mr_sfstk8d. The glue claims to be stronger than the wood anyway, so the three layers are spread thinly on both surfaces with PVA and then the whole lot clamped up with a lot of G-clamps; it looks rather silly but ensures that the glue line is as thin as possible.

The weakest points are the ends of the crescent - the grain of the 3 layers run parallel; though it is tempting to cross them like plywood, the layers are too thick for that and the different movement across/along the grain would risk splitting. The other iffy bit is where the hole goes through - it may not be obvious in the picture but the bottle is only supported by the neck, it does not touch the other end of the crescent; I would have liked a little more meat left either side of the hole, but I had 3/4" stock to work with. It is probably just enough.

I really enjoyed the shaping with the spokeshave; it quite quickly produced a nice shape and finish, and a very satisfying pile of shavings (for CW: which I have mixed with kitchen waste and added to the compost heap Very Happy )
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 24th June 2011, 1:07 pm

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top