A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44716 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Thinking of the people of Norway

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Thinking of the people of Norway

Post by Jaded Green on 23rd July 2011, 6:53 pm

A truly horrific pair of events in Norway yesterday.

My heart goes out to the parents of the young people at the summer camp -and to the relatives and friends of all who lost their lives.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Thinking of the people of Norway

Post by Adrian on 23rd July 2011, 6:58 pm

Well said JG

The death toll keeps raising, such a horrible thing to happen to anyone - I honestly do not understand why people do these things.

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 23rd July 2011, 7:11 pm

It's awful news, feel so sorry for the families and friends
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 23rd July 2011, 7:31 pm

It's hard to understand, when we've all got the power to do so much good, why anyone should want to do so much harm. Truly horrific - thinking of all those involved.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 23rd July 2011, 9:05 pm

I just can't understand things like this....so very sad...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi on 25th July 2011, 11:14 am

let me tell you that terrorist of all creed really really really piss me off big time!

As a friend suggested, that whackjob should be forced to spend the rest of his life writing apology letters to every mom, dad, sister, brother, cousin, aunt, uncle, grandfather, grandmother..... of his victims.
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 25th July 2011, 11:50 am

Fox News used the domestic terror attack in Oslo, Norway to say the words “Muslim,” “Islamic,” and “Al Qaeda” a total of 15 times in this five-​minute news segment, which was loaded with falsehoods, including that Norway was unprepared — a rather hypocritical comment coming from the speaker, former Bush administration State Department official Christian Whiton. The Bush administration up until 9/​11 had no interest in terrorism.

For the record, the Oslo, Norway attack was allegedly by Norwegian right-​wing “Christian fundamentalist” Anders Breivik, whose actions even prior to the bombing and shooting that left over 90 people dead, could be described as similar to America’s Tea Party, even calling for the formation of a “cultural Euro-​Tea Party.“

Makes me wonder how these people can sleep at night...

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 25th July 2011, 11:55 am

Since I first heard that the perpetrator of this carnage called himself a Christian, I wondered whether he and I mean the same thing. How can you call yourself a follower of the man who called people to love their enemies and do something like this? You can called yourself a fried egg - it doesn't mean that you are one

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flute on 25th July 2011, 12:09 pm

I just don't understand all the people on the news who say 'if TV helicopters were there, why couldn't police get there earlier'. It's all well and good saying that in hindsight, and without knowing all the facts, but surely the police were all dealing with the bomb that had gone off earlier in the day? Perhaps, they were all busy far away and couldn't get there in time? People judge too quickly.

Dandelion- I agree with that. It's the same as the Islamic terrorists. Not having studied the religion, I vaguely remember one principle being close to christianity in the whole 'Thall shalt not kill' way.

Lakshmi- To be honest, from what I've heard about the guy, he may actually have to feel some remorse first.

"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential. Who we are might be predetermined, but we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny.
Our destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged:
Every man is born as many men, but dies a single one." -Timothy McGee (NCIS)
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 25th July 2011, 1:11 pm

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi on 25th July 2011, 1:12 pm

yes, flute, I was quite glad to hear (on the radio this morning) that the Norwegian authorities were not intending to allow this fruitloop his public statement about why he did what he did.
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on 25th July 2011, 7:18 pm

Don't read this if you are of a nervous disposition: uncensored reports from Norway.

The dead cannot tell their stories. The injured and the others survivors can.

The gunman was dressed in police uniform and armed. He told the youngsters that he was sent to the island to protect them because of the bombing in Oslo. “Come to me,” he called. “I will protect you”. The lady who has been in charge of the camp for 20 years must have understood something was wrong. There was a policeman in civil clothes on the island as well, the only watchman for 600+ youngsters. Experience said that one person was enough; this was not a rowdy crowd guzzling beer but a singing, bonfire-enjoying, well-educated group of politically interested boys and girls. The lady went over to talk with the guard. They were the first to be killed. Then the shooting started in earnest.

He shot them, he shot them as they ran and ran. The island is 1, 2 km long and 1 km wide. It is situated 500-600 m from the mainland. The water is very cold. Part of the island is covered in bush, part is in open glens sloping down to cliffs and into the water. They ran screaming towards the shore, not thinking, in blind panic. Around them their friends were hit, howling in utmost pain as he overtook them and shot them dead. They ran to the water and tried to swim. The gunman shot at them with a handgun. He missed some, and the spurt of water was white where the bullet hit. The spurt was red when the bullet found a child.

Others tried to hide in the bush. A boy from my town was in a group of 20-30 when they suddenly faced him. He was close, they made eye contact. Then he lifted his machine gun. A few were wounded. Most died right there. The boy from my town fell to the ground. The bullet had missed his head by cm. Around him some were dead, others injured. The gunman fired at them, but missed him again. He lay very still underneath his friends. He survived.

One boy was shot in the leg as he fled. The gunman stood over him, made eye contact and shot him in the other leg. Then he made eye contact again, smiled and shot his third shot: between the boy’s legs. The genitals were shot off. He may not be alive any more.

One boy fled into the water. As he swam the gunman shot after him and a friend. The friend was hit. The boy took his friend on his back and swam through the cold water. Eventually they were picked up by one of the boats coming to their rescue. They will both survive.

One of the survivors was hiding underneath several dead people with a shot wound to his shoulder. An 11 year old boy walks past. “My father is dead, my father is dead” he says. The boy walks straight into the killer. The hidden survivor hears him say “Don’t shoot me. You have shot enough. You have killed my father. I’m too young to die. Please do not shoot”. The killer turned away. The survivor who told the story saw the boy again when they were safe. “That child saved himself”, the survivor later told the newspaper.

One girl was hit in the arm and fell with the group she was in. She decided to stop running and pretend to be dead. The gunman fired into the bodies but missed her again. When at last the real police found her, she was the only one alive in a group of eight. She will live.

The cell phones kept ringing and ringing on the dead bodies
Several families have lost siblings. Some have lost all their children.
These are but a few of the 500 ++ stories. If you want more, please tell me. I have hundreds.

One who survived, a young parliamentarian, said this a few hours later when interviewed:

“If one man can show so much hatred, think of all the love we can show when we stand together.”
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 25th July 2011, 8:10 pm

I thought Charlie Brooker's article was good too. I liked his refusal to name the man as that was what he was after.

So much sorrow for the families. It is hard enough waving ones children off to these events without one's wort fear that something will happen to them being realised.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top