A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 1:42 pm

» Two minute beach clean
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

» Armchair gardening in December
by freebird 4th December 2017, 11:11 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Ploshkin 3rd December 2017, 3:46 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is dreamcb77

Our users have posted a total of 44936 messages in 2335 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

The door curtain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default The door curtain

Post by Daveswife on 22nd August 2011, 2:03 pm

Reading some old posts on this thread concerning door curtains, yes a curtain over a front door does keep out draughts (even if it is a double glazed door) and yes I too have a bit of a dampish corner. However I don't blame the curtain for that because we have two curtains and the other side is not damp.

The thing I particularly like about pulling a curtain over the front door at night is that instead of a black hole in the hallway we have something that looks jolly and bright. Ours matches the curtains in the hall and landing and it makes the hallway feel everso cosy.

Now we are talking curtains I remember my Mother in Law giving us some old curtains when we were first married. Crikey, they are still in a bag up in the attic having moved with us from house to house! I feel a furtle coming on - I must be able to use the fabric somehow as long as it is still in goodish condition (I'm thinking table cover).

Any other ideas for using elderly curtains? (apart from re-use as curtains).

Daveswife

Back to top Go down

default Re: The door curtain

Post by Chilli-head on 22nd August 2011, 2:26 pm

That sounds like me ... Although I binned our door curtain, I quite agree that there is a sense of warm snugness created by pulling a curtain across. With our solid brick walls though, anything left against outside walls, especially in a corner, soon becomes horrid with mold (*).

As for making things out of old curtains - my advice would be to clean them first before you start. I cut up a set of old curtains to make a smaller set using the best bits. Sewed them all up, then cleaned them ... at which point they fell apart Sad. Oh, and lesson learned the hard way #2 - no matter how heavy the curtain and how lightly used the seat, old curtain fabric in not suitable for upholstery !

(*) This presents one of my future workshop challenges. I want to put a coat rack on an outside wall without getting moldy coats. My current design has a sort of posh version of a trellis, probably made from 3/4" beech strips, against the wall behind/below the hooks to create a gap behind the coats for air flow.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveswife on 22nd August 2011, 2:55 pm

Thanks for the advice! Get the fabric cleaned first - brilliant.
Daveswife

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 22nd August 2011, 4:54 pm

I've made clothes from curtians before now (two of us made smocks from a set of chintzy kitchen cutains and a pelmet in the 70s, the previous time smocks were in!) I have also used lighter weight curtains to cut strips from for making rag rugs, but depending on the type of rag rug you could used heavy weight curtains too.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 12th November 2011, 9:15 pm

I finally got round to making my door curtain - not re-using the old one ('pimp my door curtain'!!) as it had shrunk and was quite horrid. I bought a pair of curtains from the hospice shop, butchered them...erm I mean carefully measured, trimmed and joined them, and managed to find all the other bits I needed in cupboards. The best thing was finding a piece of thermal lining just the right size. I've attached the lining using velcro for easier washing. It had been a long time since I had done any sewing - I must have oiled the machine before abandoning it so it worked really well despite having been in a cupboard for years. That's 1950s engineering for you!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 12th November 2011, 11:13 pm

Chilli-head wrote: With our solid brick walls though, anything left against outside walls, especially in a corner, soon becomes horrid with mold (*).

Could you not set it out from the wall a few inches?

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 13th November 2011, 2:05 am

Reuse the old one!!!

Wash it, cut it, sew it into a sausage, stuff it with the left over...

Hey presto a door sausage...

No matter whether you have central heating or not, when you open a door & trip over the sausage, it helps you to remember to close doors behind you... Laughing

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
                 The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
    leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 14th November 2011, 1:41 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Chilli-head wrote: With our solid brick walls though, anything left against outside walls, especially in a corner, soon becomes horrid with mold (*).

Could you not set it out from the wall a few inches?

The problem is when it is open, it has to bunch up on one side of the door or the other. On one side, it is in the corner of two external walls and goes moldy. On the other side, it stops the door opening properly.

Still, it is not so bad now the door is well fitting, double glazed and has draught excluder around it, and a brush / draught excluder snake at the bottom.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top