A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 19th March 2017, 1:01 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

» Mobile phones
by freebird 3rd December 2016, 12:39 pm

» What veg do you never need to buy ?
by Dandelion 1st December 2016, 7:30 pm

» Reusing feathers from pillow for darught excluder??
by Jaded Green 1st December 2016, 5:10 pm

» November garden sowings
by Chilli-head 25th November 2016, 10:59 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 15th November 2016, 10:36 am

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44079 messages in 2293 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Given in yet ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Given in yet ?

Post by Chilli-head on 31st August 2011, 4:29 pm

I spent a goodly time at the weekend stacking logs. And reducing pallets to kindling. It was feeling a tad chilly last night and it all became to tempting - I succumbed and lit a fire. I've had the stove for a few winters now, but the enjoyment doesn't fade. A fire, a dram of Highland Park and some spiced fruit loaf on the toasting fork. Very pleasant way to spend an evening Very Happy Trouble is I won't get much done in the evenings now until next spring ...
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Given in yet ?

Post by Dandelion on 31st August 2011, 9:17 pm

We have logs on order for next week - with last winter in mind we have ordered a double load. It'll give us a good work-out moving them from the front to the back garden. I love having a woodburner!!! We've resisted the temptation to light up so far though.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 31st August 2011, 9:39 pm

We're all stacked, but still nowhere near burning season still blissfully hot days and cool nights

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee on 31st August 2011, 11:43 pm

it sounds a tad funny to me as we've packed away the fire stokers till next year. We only had odd weeks that we needed to use it.
Kindling came way too easy as the local council trimmed trees in parks and beside roads right before the first cold spell. They left it all sitting there for 2 entire weeks, so we just went for walks every few days and filled boxes or buckets and brought home. I saw loads of people with with little hacksaws.

At first i thought the council was being quite lazy, but then realized they didn't hv much left to take away when they did Laughing
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 22nd September 2014, 8:07 am

We gave in to temptation and lit up the stove last night. After a clear day it was a bit chilly, and I need the heat to finish off drying my bean harvest. Also with Downton abbey restarting, I need something to watch whilst DW watches that ! The heating has come on this morning, which makes me feel more justified ...

I also have collected sacks full of waste ash as chips from axe work, and thick drawknife shavings. They are perfect for lighting, but I'm beginning to run out of space to store them !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 22nd September 2014, 8:51 am

Not yet here. I'm so much enjoying it being much cooler - the last couple of weeks have been really unpleasant with grey, muggy weather. Yesterday was clean and fresh.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 22nd September 2014, 4:45 pm

Our heating stays on 24/7, 365 days a year. There's a thermostat in each room & the water only circulates when the temperature drops. We have to light the wood boiler for the hot water but that's only once a week in the summer. There have been a couple of mornings when the bathroom floor has been noticeably warm - we've had a few not far off freezing.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 22nd September 2014, 8:12 pm

What is the heat source for your house heating, Ploshkin? It sounds as though you have air or ground source heat pump.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 22nd September 2014, 10:11 pm

Chilli-head wrote:We gave in to temptation and lit up the stove last night.  After a clear day it was a bit chilly,  and I need the heat to finish off drying my bean harvest.   Also with Downton abbey restarting,  I need something to watch whilst DW watches that !  

My other half is in complete agreement with you - he says he could have done with the stove on last night as it would have been more interesting than Downton.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 23rd September 2014, 8:59 am

FB wrote:What is the heat source for your house heating, Ploshkin? It sounds as though you have air or ground source heat pump.

It's a highly insulated 1500 litre water tank heated by a wood burning boiler. It's very efficient - only takes a barrowful of wood a day in the winter & one a week in the summer. I always think of it as being like bagpipes - you can have the heating without the boiler being alight. We've found that it works best just to leave it running 24/7.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 18th September 2015, 5:10 pm

I've already given in and lit up a few evenings so far. Coming back form August on Crete to September in England was just too much of a shock ! Still, I've plenty of drawknife shavings from chairmaking which serve really well for lighting. Hope the woodpile will last; I didn't actually buy any more in this year, just topped it up with scrounged wood.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 18th September 2015, 6:10 pm

No wimping here yet, but we are in the balmy SW! I did notice my breath condensing in the air when I went out to the chickens this morning.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 18th September 2015, 9:53 pm

I'm wearing a sweater but Mr JG is in a tee-shirt. we've just skyped our girls on holiday in New York and it is about 80 degrees there. They have the air conditioning on and have worked out how to cool the place so they don't need it on in the night, after having to turn it on during their first nights.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 19th September 2015, 12:09 pm

The floors were all warm this morning. The heating has actually kicked in quite a few nights already. Cold nights seem to have been a feature of this year.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 19th September 2015, 6:27 pm

Our boiler was off for a couple of months while we were decorating. Solar panels supplied hot water. But it went back on 31st August. The external and internal thermostats decided it was cold enough to fire it up, and been doing so ever since. Not used the wood burner yet though.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 20th September 2016, 1:08 pm

I spent yesterday afternoon feeling chilly in my office at work. Still a bit chilly at home, so took the opportunity to test the overhauled stove with its new firebricks. Very satisfactory Very Happy

Sunny again today, so might be a while before I light it again.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th September 2016, 5:03 pm

I think there's one night in the week (Thursday?) which was looking colder, but maybe that's just up here.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum