A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44189 messages in 2298 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Your best ever cookbook?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Your best ever cookbook?

Post by GB on 19th September 2011, 1:45 pm

Am now replacing my entire kitchen library so I thought I would ask your lovely people what your most indispensable cook books are.

So go on, what are they?

................................................................................................................................
Laugh and the world laughs with you, laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they'll leave you alone!

The Gods answer all our prayers. Unfortunately, sometimes, the answer is no!

"When in doubt, choose to live!"
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Your best ever cookbook?

Post by Chilli-head on 19th September 2011, 2:02 pm

My top two are both sadly not in print:

Meg Jump "Cooking with Chillies" - Heat from around the world Very Happy
Jacqueline Clark & Joanna Farrow "The Best Ever Mediterranean Cookbook" - The food is simple but wonderful, and the photography makes me want to go on holiday !

I don't really have many newer ones, as we decided a few years ago that we now had quite sufficient.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 19th September 2011, 2:25 pm

Hmmm.

Jane Grigson, Elizabeth David and the Larousse Gastronomique.
Although I very seldom cook from recipe books. I mainly have food books as bedtime reading.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi on 19th September 2011, 3:31 pm

The book that answers the question: The book they gave us at school with all the basic cooking techniques;

The books I like to consult:
Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking;
Marguerite Patten's Basic basics jams, preserves and chutneys handbook;
Mrs Beeton's pantry;
Wendy Hutton's Singapore food (this is a great read, Herr von Rhomboid)

I've got many more that I consult to stimulate creativity in the kitchen.
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th September 2011, 4:25 pm

I would like to say something highbrow, but my favourite cookery books are the ones which a) tell you how to do things (such as the Penguin cookery book - note that Penguin is a publishing house....!) and the Times calendar Cookbook, and b) tell me how to cook food which my fussy family will eat. My cookery books tend to be from when I first got married so are no longer in print: The Marks and Spencers Family cookbook for instance. Mr D has recently added 'River Cottage Everyday' to our collection.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 19th September 2011, 4:40 pm

Dandelion wrote:(such as the Penguin cookery book - note that Penguin is a publishing house....!)

Dr. Fredrick A. Cook, Victorian-era Antarctic explorer wrote:"If it's possible to imagine a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce, the illustration would be complete."

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 19th September 2011, 5:27 pm

Must admit I too use Marguerite Patten's Jams, Pickles & Chutneys
I also like the Paupers Cook book from Jacosta Innes.

Really though almost any Marguerite Patten book is good. Other books come & go, I buy them look at them & then sell them on.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 19th September 2011, 6:31 pm

It'd be hard to find one or five in particular that I like espcially. I've shelves of cookbooks, probably because each one has a few, or even just one, recipe that I especially like. You can tell the ones, because they have the filthiest pages, lol. Dotted with butter, dusted with cumin, sprinkled with tomato and finger prints.

Most of the ones that I have found some absolute favorites in have been small run "church ladies' group" local publications, so I don't know that titles would be much help, much less I'd remember them anyway. Usually it's "the one in the black wire bouning, and the orange cover with the picture of the stock pot and chickens" or some such.
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 19th September 2011, 6:38 pm

mr_sfstk8d wrote:You can tell the ones, because they have the filthiest pages, lol. Dotted with butter, dusted with cumin, sprinkled with tomato and finger prints.

You describe perfectly my copy of Madhur Jaffery's book, except that the cover has fallen off too ! By that measure, it too is obviously a good book Very Happy
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 20th September 2011, 1:11 am

Believe it or not the book I refer to most when I am cooking is:

"The New Vegetable & Herb Expert" by Hessayon

If I am doing something specific it would be:
"Practical Cookery" by Ceserani & Kinton this was Lady S's book from college but it is a cracking book for a beginner as it shows which knife is which, how to sharpen with a steel, & goes from the basics to the flamboyant, includes butchery.

If I am preserving it has to be:
"Preserves & Pickles" by Alison Burt (superb for pickles, jams, marmalades...)
or
"The Preserving book" by Mackinlay & Ricketts (for absoloutly anything you want to know about preserving...)

But most of the time I use "the force" ( starwars ) & invent as I go along - if it works I try to do it again, if it doesn't, I probably don't remember what I did anyway...

But perhaps I should try to write things down, although nothing tastes exactly the same twice...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th September 2011, 8:45 pm

Sparhawk wrote:

"Practical Cookery" by Ceserani & Kinton this was Lady S's book from college but it is a cracking book for a beginner as it shows which knife is which, how to sharpen with a steel, & goes from the basics to the flamboyant, includes butchery.

Did Lady S do catering at college?

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 21st September 2011, 9:38 am

Dandelion wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:

Yes, Cookery for the Catering Industry & Food & Beverage Service, City & Guilds, before being enslaved to the family business twas a long time ago...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 21st September 2011, 8:05 pm

Sparhawk wrote:
Dandelion wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:

Yes, Cookery for the Catering Industry & Food & Beverage Service, City & Guilds, before being enslaved to the family business twas a long time ago...

Shocked Shocked Shocked

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bronze on 21st September 2011, 11:05 pm

Winnie the Pooh cookbook

I'm not very interesting but I thought I would give it a go http://inallmybrondays.wordpress.com/
bronze

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top