A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you preserving today?
by freebird Yesterday at 11:06 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Insect hotel
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:30 am

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:23 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44345 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Hugh's vegetables

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Hugh's vegetables

Post by Chilli-head on 19th October 2011, 12:24 pm

Finally got around to watching Hugh Fearnley-Whittingtsall's new vegetable programme. Pardon me, but for someone who has dedicated his life to showing us how to eat obscure parts of animals, it seems slightly strange that he should suddenly discover vegetables - even stranger for him to present a series addressing us as if we have not yet seen the light ! I could be being cynical, but I can't help thinking that perhaps he has run out of obscure bits of intestine to tell us about ?

I find it also strange that, having discovered vegetables, he has to swing completely to the vegetarian end of the spectrum - it is possible to eat more vegetables and less meat without going the whole way. And also, given that he started out with an eco-based argument for exploring vegetables, there are quite a few exotic ingredients (and food miles) involved - I doubt the cashews were from the garden !

I didn't think much to his soup. A rather green collection of simmered vegetables with no bulk to it. Some croutons with parmezan grilled onto them might have helped. Didn't much fancy that lamb dish either, but the polenta sounded nice (if not entirely original).

What I did like though was the fantastic vegetable barbeque tumbler thing he had, probably the one new idea I took from the programme. Now where in my dumping ground of a garage is my MIG welder ??
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Hugh's vegetables

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 19th October 2011, 1:56 pm

That's strange: I had the exact opposite reaction when I watched it. I confess I have not really bothered with the last few series of RC, having lost interest when it stopped being about smallholding and started being about persuading one-legged vegans to make dishes of liver.

As a fairly committed carnivore I was also slightly cynical when I first read of his conversion to vegetarianism to coincide with releasing a book on Veg. However I did watch the programme, and thought it was really good.

To be fair the original RC and Cook on the Wild Side books and programmes were as much about veg as they were meat, it's just the weird meaty bits that everyone remembers. I post probably as many veggie recipes and desserts as i do meat ones, but it is the unusual meat stuff that everyone associates with me (fresh goose blood with onion for lunch today, btw).

I thought what he was saying about making meat not the centrepiece of every meal was a very good point and much more likely to reduce the meat consumption of the nation that way rather than the vegan society's insistence that we completely eschew all things meaty.

The fact that he decided to avoid all meat for the course of the summer as an experiment and to illustrate his point has been splurged all over the press as him 'turning vegetarian, but is clearly not the case, as is the reporting of him saying we should eat puppies.

I wasn't impressed by the soup either tbh, but its hard to make veg soup look sexy. The polenta looked super and I will try that this week. Cheesy chilli polenta fish fingers - my kids will love that.

I have ordered the book (half price via RC bookshop on Amazon). It's good to have a bit of a nudge towards more veg every now and then. It is all too easy to eat meat three times a day otherwise.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 23rd October 2011, 3:37 pm

well I now have the book and must admit I am a bit underwhelmed. Recipes for poached egg on toast and sundried tomatoes. Lots of interesting ideas for side dished but not much in the way of everyday meals, which is what I was hoping for and the title of 'Veg everyday' rather implied.

However, I am actively pursuing the concept of easting more non-meat dishes. In the spirit of which we are having tartiflette for supper tonight, which is entirely meatfree apart from the bacon, and barring the cheese, cream and creme fraiche, could almost be construed as vegan.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by RuthG on 23rd October 2011, 3:47 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote: which is entirely meatfree apart from the bacon, and barring the cheese, cream and creme fraiche, could almost be construed as vegan.

laughy
RuthG

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 24th October 2011, 3:10 pm

Finally catching up with this - can't say I was all that impressed with the programme. The monkey puzzle nut thing was interesting, but not exactly something that most of us can do. The local show competition didn't really do much for me on last nights show and the bit about smoking cheese only seemed to be saying that cheese can be added to some vegetarian meals to make them taste better. So overall there weren't all that many recipes in it at all! And that was only the second show in the series - has he run out of content already?

Mrs C

My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 26th October 2011, 2:12 pm

Went round a friend's house the other day and she had the book so I had a good look through it. I actually thought it was quite good. So much so that I ordered a copy from Amazon whilst it was still half price on there. My friend has done quite a few meals from it already and was impressed that her kids enjoyed them too. In her case there's a financial motivation to cutting down on meat, but she's impressed at how much the family like the meals too.

Mrs C

My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luath on 26th October 2011, 7:27 pm

Not having owned a TV for a good couple of years now, I haven't seen any of the recent series, but a post on the RC forum prompted me to catch up with the last one, via the computer. It was the one about the wonderful permaculture MIck and his garden - loved that, looks a bit like mine Laughing Wondering if Hugh will try permaculture next? I lvoed Cook on the Wild Side all those years ago - was a great comfort to me to know there was at least one bod out there as 'odd' as I am Laughing Laughing The very first series was my favourite in the RC programmes, have some of the books, but don't use them very often. Can recommend his murgh makhani if you want an exellent curry though, I mkae that regularly.

unboughtdelicacies
figheade knitting blog
knitten
Luath

http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top