A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

» Quilting
by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 11:58 am

» The Polytunnel
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 10:34 pm

» Host an Image wants a password
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 2:14 pm

» Drawings
by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 2nd July 2017, 10:15 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Ploshkin 30th June 2017, 10:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by FloBear 29th June 2017, 9:10 am

» What are you preserving today?
by FloBear 27th June 2017, 8:19 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head 26th June 2017, 8:08 pm

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

Statistics
We have 630 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44450 messages in 2310 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

New TV

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: New TV

Post by polgara on 11th October 2012, 11:08 am

I do agree with the comments on the competition pieces, they are not as such what I would call hobby things. What interested me more was the little people with the everyday type things, like the rag rugs. The thing is if it encourages 1 person to give an everyday hobby a go, I think it is worth it.

Realistic charges are not an option. I tried that many years ago with machine knitted picture jumpers,. It did give me some money but not what the item was worth in either time or ability.

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 11th October 2012, 1:48 pm

Chilli-head wrote:As for the slant of whether the crafts could be a commercial success ... the answer would appear to be a flat no. So a piece of glasswork which takes 10 days to make fetches a few hundred pounds.

... the other problem is that you're up against all the people (like some of us !) who do it just for pleasure and don't charge realistically.
In the 20 years I was working professionally as a calligrapher, I was never able to charge anything commensurate with my training, skill level and time taken to make the piece. An additional problem for calligraphy and lettering artists is that so much can be done on computer. Any handwork is regarded as being of less value than, say, a painting, simply because something similar could be produced by pretty much anyone at home.

Regarding your second point, that is a real problem that I have encountered time and time again. I would lose work because the client's mother has a friend who dabbles in calligraphy and she will do it for a fraction of the price (no matter that the end result is abysmal!). If I make something for somebody now that is outside of my professional area of work, it is strictly for family and friends and I will ask only for cost of materials. I truly think it is a mistake to charge less, just because one is not a 'professional'. It damages other's livelihoods, and also gives potential customers an unrealistic notion of the price real quality should command. This is just a general and gentle rant, by the way, not aimed at you CH.

I still do a little calligraphy commission work for existing customers. A local church had hoped to save money by asking a willing parishioner to inscribe their memorial book. I have spent the last two years taking a few of those entries at the time (as the church could afford it), covering them over and rewriting them. The work was truly appalling, and I would have expected much better from any one of my beginner students.

Mastercrafts, by showing the process by which raw beginners had to learn the skills, gave a real appreciation of the craft's worth. Handmade Revolution doesn't even begin to address this. However, Pol said she really enjoyed the programme, so hopefully, many other people will have done so too.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 13th October 2012, 5:33 pm

Going back to the wartime farm, here is a photo of my mother driving a tractor when she was in the Land Army. Mr D has just photographed some of her original photos with his digital camera.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 16th October 2012, 10:10 pm

Great British Bake Off final - I got absolutely addicted to this series after not having seen any of the previous ones. Brilliant - can't wait for next year!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 16th October 2012, 11:19 pm

I've heard a lot about this - even my mother in law was addicted

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 17th October 2012, 9:29 am

GBBO was brilliant and I was soooo pleased about the winner (won't give it away in case people are waiting to watch on catch up)

Daft thing is people keep telling me to go for it but I know I'm nowhere near their standards. I bake for fun, family and friends and really not into doing all the technical fancy stuff although I'm sure it would be a brilliant learning experience for someone brave enough. And I have no desire to be on telly!!!!
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 17th October 2012, 4:31 pm

I know what you mean - I think I would cringe if I saw myself on TV! I also wonder if the competitive element would get in the way of actually enjoying the making process? I suppose it depends how competitive you are

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum