A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 0 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird Today at 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird Today at 7:50 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 11th November 2017, 10:48 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Dandelion 26th October 2017, 2:16 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44868 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Tanning hides and skins.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Tanning hides and skins.

Post by msbraintan on 30th January 2012, 1:09 pm

I could probably write a book about 'my method' of tanning hides and skins. So.. don't want to go there! Wink

Better to begin where I most recently left off! I will say that if I knew then what I know now, I'd have used the shears I bought for removing the wool from our fiber flock on the deerskins a lot sooner. I prefer freezing skins as the best possible means of storage. They can then be taken out of the freezer and done singly in a relatively simple manner. I "cheat" and use modern tools to prevent having to labor dearly whenever possible. The power washer has a con. and it is possibly making a skin less stretchy, maybe more 'dense'.. I don't know.. but I don't REALLY care as it is just so much easier for me tanning alone. I will soon be in my mid 50's so as a lone elder I will definitely run the power washer and it's turbo nozzle attachment when it comes time for fleshing and this in my book is ASAP. I left my skins to hang in the freezing weather. Perhaps almost half I had salted when it finally 'came to me' that I'd be much better off to get another set of sheep shears! Next year I will be in a much better frame to store these skins in a much more proficient manner.. which also is ASAP. Anyway I managed to get a handle on the skins before anything became TOO ugly, lol. Hopefully the skins haven't gotten bit by frost.. well, they probably HAVE.. AND the salt? well those skins in our climate will ALWAYS attract humidity even after having been fully tanned with the SMOKE. I am in to brain or oil or soap tanning, mostly.. however none of those do the tanning itself.. that is accomplished only with the SMOKE.. or the aldehydes in the smoke. It is all a painstaking laborious task. BUT.. when finished it's just a great material.. SO.. hopefully I will get much more prolific and have LOTS more things to display SOMETIME.. or ONE of these days! headbang I think I accomplished more when I had LESS hides, lol. Tanning hides and furs in the backyard with nothing much more than brains, oils, soap, and smoke, IS a rather slippery slope! After ten years I feel that I am 'getting there', Razz I really don't ever want to work on any more coyote furs! vom I can say however that I have met the challenge of brain tanning them. The thrill of tanning coyotes has got up and LEFT! I don't think the mountain men wore coyote skins and even the American Indians stayed the heck away from the tricksters.. so I think it's really best if I avoid those from now on!
These are some very recent pictures!

There are only about half of the skins I collected free from local hunters in this freezer.. the other half are taking up most of a smaller chest freezer in our house. Next year I plan to power wash flesh.. hang over the rail.. possibly overnight to drain and next day perhaps shear, trim and wrap hair side in and then freeze. Once upon a time before it dawned on me to use the shears I would, scrape both sides of the skins.. Including that 'grain' or epidural layer that the hair is in, then rinse BUT.. it's really making things much more difficult to freeze them. They are then soaking wet and really need to be wrung out to freeze better! Skins really need to soak and relax to 'grain' much better but this is best done before scraping.. and possibly AFTER freezing. My tribe prefers not to mess with any animal skins BUT.. after they're all nice and tanned and soft.. well then they're happy to have anything I then make!
Here is a sample of the products that can be fairly easily made. These could have been smoked a bit more heavily, btw..

It's been a little while since I made anything from my leather! Hopefully get back to doing that again soon!
msbraintan

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top