A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

Ploshkin

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Today at 10:01 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44716 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

A new venture begins

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default A new venture begins

Post by GB on 28th December 2009, 8:49 pm

We got a bit of an unexpected cash back when we bought our new house so are now the proud owners of a .22 long rifle and a .270 something or other rifle. Cant remember the name off the top of my head but will post it when I remember. Just looking into getting some range time and our hunting licences and permits to hunt management land before going out as brand new hunters Very Happy

The nice thing is that even though we will miss out on the season for, well, most animals this year Laughing feral hogs have no season or bag limit so we can practice all year long on live TASTY targets till deer come back into season Cool

.270 Rooger. Yes, thats NOT how to spell it Laughing but thats how its pronounced Wink

Oh, trolling round the hunting fishing super store I found a tool I never knew existed before but now MUST HAVE!!!! Its called Butt Out and you can kinda guess by the name what its for Laughing But you insert it into the back passage (being delicate here) and turn it a few times and then draw out the last 10 inches or so of the intestines to tie off. That way you have a nice clean tie off and no leaking of poo into the insides. Neat, huh?

Funny the things I learn just walking round a shop, well, that and there isnt enough money for all the toys I want Laughing

Any hints or tips for hunting will be gratefully received and I will keep you posted on how we do Very Happy

................................................................................................................................
Laugh and the world laughs with you, laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they'll leave you alone!

The Gods answer all our prayers. Unfortunately, sometimes, the answer is no!

"When in doubt, choose to live!"
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: A new venture begins

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 28th December 2009, 8:57 pm

Cool!
Tips: never hold the gun with the bit with the hole in pointing towards you; if you can eat it, kill it; hunting after consuming a litre of 85% proof alcohol is inadvisable; if it's too heavy to lift, how will you get it to your car? (better to think about this before you have just dropped 800lbs of elk 4 miles into dense woodland).

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th December 2009, 11:03 pm

Way to go GB!:cheers:

If we had a "respect" emoticon, I would use it as that sounds really wonderful!

My tip

kill stuff you know you will want to eat.....or at least someone in the family will want to...

Now..if someone can help me in getting squirrel meat I have shot into OTHER PEOPLES mouths ( grrrr) ...I would be very greatful..... Rolling Eyes

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 28th December 2009, 11:17 pm

compostwoman wrote:
Now..if someone can help me in getting squirrel meat I have shot into OTHER PEOPLES mouths ( grrrr) ...I would be very greatful..... Rolling Eyes

If you're going to shoot squirrel meat into other people's mouths you can jolly well retrieve it yourself.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th December 2009, 11:19 pm

Ha HA Billy, You KNOW what I meant by that...

Stop being a pedant

so...any ideas?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 28th December 2009, 11:26 pm

Am ROLLING at both of you Laughing Laughing Laughing

Billy, you bring to mind a story I heard from a couple of Pilots. The were drifting down river in a John Boat and a HUMONGUS hog was drinking right in the open as they came round the bend. First Pilot took a bead on it and said "I'll kill it if you clean it." and a quiet voice came back...............................

"Let it live."

Laughing

CW, I have told Mr GB he CANT HAVE any of my squirrels Twisted Evil they are all mine Mine MINE MINE MINE Embarassed well, they are only the finest of all wild game Wink so just you enjoy them yourself Very Happy

Have found out we are both old enough to not have to do the hunter safety course to get our licence. Money saved to go tward range time. The 22 is an old friend so not worried about it but the .270 is a new thing and rather scary so want MUCH time to get use to it before going out into the woods.

One thing I think we should all have are snake boots. Going after pigs and deer and turkeys and some aquatic rodent (name escapes me but its eating the warmer states right now, stupid people who tried them for fur and then LET THEM GO should be strung up) beavers, squirrel and marsh hens will have us in swampy snake-y ground.

Coypu! Thats the name of the horrid habitat destroying rodent so that and pigs (also destroying natural habitat) are good karma hunting Laughing

Ooooo, So excited! We need a dead animal emoticon Laughing

Laugh and the world laughs with you, laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they'll leave you alone!

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 28th December 2009, 11:28 pm

compostwoman wrote:Ha HA Billy, You KNOW what I meant by that...

Stop being a pedant

so...any ideas?

Yep, tell him he CANT HAVE ANY and then cook em Southern stile fried with white gravy. The smell alone will drive him into tasting it Laughing

I have a trap out back for the neighborhood squirrels but think I have to put a bird feeder up to get their attention!

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th December 2009, 11:32 pm

I have tried your advice before, dear GB...

It didn't work.

Will keep working on him.... Very Happy

Coypu...they have made a right old mess of the Norfolk Broads.....CM assures me they taste quite good, if a bit greasy...he went to Uni at UEA , where some people apparently ate some coypu ( not him, I hasten to add!)

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 28th December 2009, 11:47 pm

compostwoman wrote:I have tried your advice before, dear GB...

It didn't work.

Will keep working on him.... Very Happy

Coypu...they have made a right old mess of the Norfolk Broads.....CM assures me they taste quite good, if a bit greasy...he went to Uni at UEA , where some people apparently ate some coypu ( not him, I hasten to add!)

I was going to ask why he would try one rodent and not the other :suspect:

Just call him a silly man and have em all yourself Twisted Evil

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 29th December 2009, 2:10 pm

Why one rodent and not not another?

Well the term "rodent" is being used rather broadly. Covering a wide variety of critters far less closely related to each other than pigs, cows, sheep, goats, camels, etc. In fact, I think some here may be using "rodent" so broadly that we could throw horses and donkeys into that list.

Few of us would consider all of those more closely related large animals equally "edible" so why should it surprise us that we have similar attitudes toward less closely related small ones. But besides cultural reasons for eating or not eating this or that there isn't a good reason to suppose that there wouldn't be major taste differences. We don't expect mutton to taste like pork to taste like beef do we? But those are all close kin compared to squirrel vs hare vs beaver.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 29th December 2009, 5:53 pm

I wouldn't eat a hare, though.....but thats a spiritual thing, personal to me and mine I guess.... Smile

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 29th December 2009, 9:54 pm

compostwoman wrote:I wouldn't eat a hare, though.....but thats a spiritual thing, personal to me and mine I guess.... Smile

Nore is a Hare a rodent, its in a famblie with rabbits. They were reclassified due to some difference with the teeth, cant remember what it was but nope, they isnt rodents anymore Wink

And I wouldnt eat Hare either, they are under too much pressure 🇳🇴

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 30th December 2009, 11:43 pm

Well, after a delay of almost 3 days, Mr GB is off to collect the guns. Being Irish they had to do 2 background checks. Wish the word Irish didnt = bombs over here Rolling Eyes

Never mind, turkey season is still on for a few weeks, deer are still in as well and squirrel season doesnt end till mid March.

Excited isnt the word!

Hmmmmm, still dont have a hunting emoticon :suspect:

Oh, discovered a kind of hunting everybody can do, its called Shed Hunting and starts in the spring. You go through woodland looking for shed antlers. Will DEFF. be doing THAT with the kids Very Happy

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 1st January 2010, 12:41 am

http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/Mammal/armad.htm

This is one critter we will be going after, LOVE the picture of it LEAPING Laughing Hubbs has already said "I am NOT eating THAT!!!!"

He thinks Twisted Evil

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenofthewoods on 1st January 2010, 8:32 pm

I would love to find a good shed antler or two GB. I think I need to go and hang out in our local deer park but I'm sure competition for them will be fierce.

Chi vo far 'na bona zena magn'un erb d'tut la mena
chickenofthewoods

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 4th January 2010, 1:58 pm

chickenofthewoods wrote:I would love to find a good shed antler or two GB. I think I need to go and hang out in our local deer park but I'm sure competition for them will be fierce.

From what I have read you have to find them REAL fast as otherwise, the rodents get them!

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 4th January 2010, 2:39 pm

I have to confess I am rather partial to jugged hare.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 4th January 2010, 4:57 pm

To each their own Billy.....

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 4th January 2010, 5:06 pm

To each their own Billy? Well, the lucky ones, maybe.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 4th January 2010, 6:17 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:To each their own Billy? Well, the lucky ones, maybe.

And truly lucky they are Laughing

How different to rabbit does hare taste?

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 4th January 2010, 7:06 pm

Hare is darker, richer and much more involved taste - hares spend their entire lives running about the place at great speed so much more meat and more exercised muscle. think racehorse the size of small dog and you'd not be off the mark by much. It is a stronger meat.
Also hare is not kosher but rabbit is!

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 4th January 2010, 8:22 pm

Why is Hare not kosher? ah is it because Hares have hairy pads....?

And does that matter....?

Ah, dreaming about my own Billy, now...... Wink

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 5th January 2010, 2:45 am

Guess who got a bulls eye, guess who got a bulls eye?

ME!

Shocked Laughing Hubby said the sights must be off Laughing

OMG it is SOOOOO LOUD....................and STRONG....................and LOUD Shocked

My arm hurts Embarassed

But all my shots were kill shots so am dead chuffed Very Happy

And now I have done it so bring on the deer Laughing

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 5th January 2010, 9:59 am

GB wrote:Guess who got a bulls eye, guess who got a bulls eye?

ME!

Shocked Laughing Hubby said the sights must be off Laughing

OMG it is SOOOOO LOUD....................and STRONG....................and LOUD Shocked

My arm hurts Embarassed

But all my shots were kill shots so am dead chuffed Very Happy

And now I have done it so bring on the deer Laughing
bouncing :bigclap:

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 5th January 2010, 10:17 pm

Well, our new venture yields its first bit of meat...............................

A body shot dove found by the path Laughing

The sight of it hit my daughter on the pity bone so fortunately it died on the way home Rolling Eyes I would have killed it when we found it but we were in an area where hunting is NOT ALLOWED!!!! So I wanted the "Found it hurt!" card if needed Wink Granted we didnt have our guns but still................

We also learned hunting with children is a no go, they are simply toooooo noisy, even when being "REAL CAREFUL Mummy" ❤ Laughing

So tonight hubby is getting me my licence, ear muffs and ammo and tomorrow, after I drop the elder two kiddies off at school, I am off to try my luck on my own Very Happy

Mr GB has even OFFERED to mind darling son number 2 while I try my luck :suspect: wonder what the trade off will be Laughing

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top