A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 635 registered users
The newest registered user is lrover

Our users have posted a total of 44877 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

A new venture begins

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: A new venture begins

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 10th January 2010, 6:49 pm

Considering a garter snake once bit you 8 times in 2 seconds, why are you quibbling the cost of anti-snake boots? Sell one of the rifles and buy the boots. You can only shoot one at a time anyway, and ya cain't shoot nuthin' if you daeid.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 10th January 2010, 7:14 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Considering a garter snake once bit you 8 times in 2 seconds, why are you quibbling the cost of anti-snake boots? Sell one of the rifles and buy the boots. You can only shoot one at a time anyway, and ya cain't shoot nuthin' if you daeid.

Well, I had just grabbed it so it had cause Laughing

And hubby said he will get me the boots next pay check so thats good, will have to wait for the canoe (multy second hand) and the chair blind, neither of which will save my life like the boots might do!

Am feeding the kiddies a late lunch of leftovers made new and then off to the woods again go I. Spent the day watching deer hunting shows but not one of them went into cyprus palmetto swampland so while I got a tip or two not much will work in the local area Sad Not too unpleased with myself, I had a hunter go past about 30 ft away last time out and not see me, and thats despite the ORANGE vest I was wearing Laughing Of course, that put paid to 2 hours of sitting under an oak tree waiting for the pigs to come eat the oranges dropped by the wild orange trees hiding away in the oak scrub Rolling Eyes

................................................................................................................................
Laugh and the world laughs with you, laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they'll leave you alone!

The Gods answer all our prayers. Unfortunately, sometimes, the answer is no!

"When in doubt, choose to live!"
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 10th January 2010, 7:16 pm

GB should you really be sitting un noticed if OTHER hunters are blasting away around you? Might they not mistake you for something to shoot?

Am a tad worried , for you....

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 10th January 2010, 7:32 pm

that's what the orange vests are supposed to be for.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 10th January 2010, 8:42 pm

Yeah, but they didn't notice her..... Shocked

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 10th January 2010, 8:43 pm

And sitting in an orange vest under a tree dropping oranges, which attract the prey...which attract the hunter to shoot at them? Hmmm.......

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 12:27 am

Well, today I did it all right and even heard deer but ran out of daylight before they came out of cover. Happy enough with my sitting, even had a bird land within 5 ft and sing for a bit before flitting away and had a squirrel on the tree beside me close enough to hear its claws scritching on the bark Very Happy

Funniest event? Giving another hunter a heart attack Laughing and NO, I didnt use the gun to do it Wink I was sitting by the trail where the deer are going to and from the park and he came past the tree I was sitting beside........................

I thought he was going to leap right through the barbed wire fence when he saw me Shocked

Laughing

Of course, he and his mate going past me 4 TIMES might have helped the deer to NOT break cover Rolling Eyes but it was still funny Laughing

And best of all, I came home with some meat Shocked saw a rabbit sitting in the bushes and it sat while I got my ear protectors on and sited it in the rifle scope and took the rifle off safety and adjust my stance and, really, it must have had a death wish to sit still for all of that Rolling Eyes

Note to self, .270 is over kill for rabbit Laughing but the dog got the front legs, well, what was left of them, and I have one kidney, the heart and the back and back legs in the fridge.

Wheeeeee am a happy hunter Very Happy

And yes, the orange is SUPPOSED to keep you safe but even I am a bit worried about the mental ability of some of the heavily armed people stumbling about the woods :affraid:

Laugh and the world laughs with you, laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they'll leave you alone!

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 11th January 2010, 8:53 am

Hooray! First blood to GB!

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 12:24 pm

Embarassed silly to be so happy over a bloody rabbit but, well, I am Laughing

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 3:55 pm

Here goes with my FIRST attempt to post my picture!

Nope, didnt work Evil or Very Mad

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 4:30 pm

The mighty hunter returns Laughing

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 5:25 pm

And wooooohoooooo, have a squirrel in the trap Very Happy

Tis a good day Laughing

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 11th January 2010, 5:32 pm

Be careful dispatching the squirrel. They pack a mean bite and do bite when trapped.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 5:54 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Be careful dispatching the squirrel. They pack a mean bite and do bite when trapped.

Yep, gunna be most carefull Wink

I used a pillowcase for the rat so will do same for squirrel. Had contimplated the .22 but just not the place for it really and am not going to drive trapped squirrel to the hunting area to shoot it Laughing

So, trap cost $35 and have now caught one rat and one squirrel, hmmmmmm, wonder how many of each I need to catch before its paid for itself :suspect: Did the math for the guns and licence and ear protectors and such like and :affraid: need to shoot LOTS of meat before even braking even 🐷

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 11th January 2010, 6:15 pm

Depends how you do the maths. In our local Deli Wild boar salami is £4.50/100g and venison about the same. Online it is £6.50/100g. I have more than 23 kg of boar and venison salami hanging under the porch. At retail price that is more that £1k.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 6:32 pm

Wow!

Hey! We dont have a bowing emoticon!?!

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 8:35 pm

Well, one squirrel sorted out and I still have all my fingers Very Happy put it in the freezer against the day we have enough for a good fry up.

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 11th January 2010, 9:11 pm

Does anyone know how big a pig a .22 will kill? The wildlife management area have said no big guns now its small game season so down to the .22 unless I go find somewhere else to hunt.

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 12th January 2010, 11:37 pm

Squirrels have a death wish too Shocked Had one in the trap and one sitting on top waiting to get in. Dispatched first one, reset trap and bang, got the second Cool

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 13th January 2010, 8:39 am

GB wrote:Does anyone know how big a pig a .22 will kill? The wildlife management area have said no big guns now its small game season so down to the .22 unless I go find somewhere else to hunt.

At a range of about 4 - 6 inches you should be able to kill a pig with a .22 provided you get it square between the eyes.
Or then again the bullet might just glance off the skull and make piggy very cross. In which case running away very fast is advisable.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 13th January 2010, 8:37 pm

Laughing am getting the idea that hunting from the ground without a buddy might not be safest for pigs so am going to have to try to train the brainless wonder to back me up or at least throw her usless body between me and the pigs. Most likely she will be legging it faster than I will Laughing

Just put an add on Craigs list for somewhere local to hunt where I can keep using the .270 as I dont like my chances with a .22 against something with teeth and attitude :affraid:

Might get out and look for rabbits but they dont warren over here so dont know if my basic skills are up to finding them.

WISH I had a master Jedi to take me on as a Padawan Learner Laughing

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 13th January 2010, 9:00 pm

Weren't Jedi Vegetarian?

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 13th January 2010, 10:21 pm

If they were, they were awfully cavalier about slicing and dicing living things and yet not wanting to eat meat :suspect:

Methinks they were like diplomats though and would eat whatever their hosts were having :face:

Yeh, yeh, I know, fiction Wink

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 14th January 2010, 2:19 am

Am now half way to my squirrel fry up and best of all, it only took me 5 min to process the last one Very Happy

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 18th January 2010, 11:20 pm

Pig-less AGAIN Evil or Very Mad

Am sitting up withing 1000 ft of water, am surrounded with HUGE oak trees and have a nice orange tree loaded with fruit in front of me. The ground is trampled clear of underbrush to, well, about pig high. Spent 6 hours sitting and waiting with the wind blowing twards me FROM the center of the management area.

Must be doing something wrong but for the life of me cant think what :suspect:

Boors feed dawnish but sows and young piggies forage every 3 hours or there abouts.

I SHOULD have at least heard them but not a sausage.

Rolling Eyes ugh, pun NOT intended Laughing

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 30th July 2010, 12:37 am

High summer and cant go hunting again till November 3rd!

At least the hunting channel is showing The Buck Stops Here again

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top