A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Marching into the spring garden
by Ploshkin Today at 8:59 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

» Mobile phones
by freebird 3rd December 2016, 12:39 pm

» What veg do you never need to buy ?
by Dandelion 1st December 2016, 7:30 pm

» Reusing feathers from pillow for darught excluder??
by Jaded Green 1st December 2016, 5:10 pm

» November garden sowings
by Chilli-head 25th November 2016, 10:59 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 15th November 2016, 10:36 am

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44085 messages in 2293 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Pole lathe turning at Wimpole Hall

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Pole lathe turning at Wimpole Hall

Post by Chilli-head on 4th August 2012, 9:28 pm

I've had a day out learning to use a pole lathe with Mark Allery at Wimpole Hall today. Really good fun and pleasant company. I loved the improvised wood burner - an old washing machine drum with an oven shelf on top - for the kettle, of course ! There is something very appealing about being able to go from a tree that was felled yesterday to something useful with simple tools, no electricity supply required, in really quite a short space of time. There was talk of setting up a regular pole lathe group based at Wimpole, which would be great if it comes to pass.

We were glad of our hovels - the was a thunderstorm and a real downpour mid morning !

Still, it quickly cheered up. Me, just starting at my second piece of Ash:

And a few bits and pieces to take home:

A small rolling pin, a candle holder and an eggcup. The latter I finished off hollowing out with my Flexcut carving jack, which I remembered to put in my pocket at the last minute.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Pole lathe turning at Wimpole Hall

Post by Adrian on 5th August 2012, 2:12 am

So very jealous ..
Those are amazing btw

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 6th August 2012, 5:55 pm

Sorry Adrian - I didn't mean to make you jealous !. And thanks of the kind words.

I am continuing to learn - I had assumed that, with a pole lathe, you could make anything so long as it's round. Not quite - oval. As it dries the wood shrinks - Mark said by 5% one way, 10% the other. And indeed, that is pretty much exactly what I measure. Not a problem with the rolling pin of candle holder, but my egg is a tad wobbly ..
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyM on 6th August 2012, 8:43 pm

Re shrinkage

You can turn the objects again after they have dried a bit if roundness is critical.

It was a good day at Wimpole , wasn't it? Hope the group gets off the ground - there seems to be quite a bit of enthusiasm.

Andy M
AndyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 7th August 2012, 11:42 am

Hello - fancy meeting you here ! I don't know how you found us Question , but welcome to Homemade Life Very Happy

I'm more used to working with seasoned wood myself, so although seasonal movement is always an important factor in design, I'm used to expecting a few percent movement. Amazing to see 5-10% shrinkage in just a day or two with no splitting. It had occured to me that you could make critical bits oversize and finish them to round when dry. I don't think I'd get my eggcup back on a lathe too easily though, so I'll live with a wobbly egg and call it "character" - I get away with a lot that way ..

It was a good day - once the sun came out and Mark showed my how to use the skew without taking great bites out every now and then, I started regretting not having booked on for the Sunday too. We should do it again soon - is there anything we should be doing to encourage things along ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyM on 7th August 2012, 11:46 am

Simon is very keen to get a local group going - tell him you are interested. The plan is to decide on a fixed time to meet and he will provide site, equipment etc to get it going.

Andy M
AndyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 4th October 2012, 8:42 am

Well, the (Wim)pole lathers met again last weekend. AndyM and Simon did some bowl turning on a bowl lathe, which was quite an impressive bit of kit. A good time was had, and my favourite stainless steel frying pan is now sporting a nice new cherry wood handle to replace the old rather charred and wobbly one !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 24th October 2012, 4:23 pm

We met again last Sunday for another good day's turning. I found myself struggling with the skew chisels; I tried all the tools to hand, sharpened them, tried again, and concluded that it wasn't the chisel, but what was at each end of it that was causing my difficulties. The lesser of the problems was at the pointy end; the sycamore we had to work was not so easy as the cherry that I was rather spoiled with last time. The larger source of problem was at the handle end of the chisel though; by the afternoon I'd more or less remembered what Mark taught me about using the skew properly...

In the end, my little homemade skew chisel worked well enough and kept it's edge nicely. Came away with a lemon squeezer and a dibber, and a "thing" which I plan to gouge out into a small bowl.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyM on 24th October 2012, 5:18 pm

Apart from a well adjusted nut on the handle, with a skew it is the edge/corners that dig in, so it is important to use only the middle of the cutting edge at first. The skew must rest on the bit you have already smoothed and you must work "downhill". Assuming that you are working from right to left, the tool must be at an angle to the axis of the turning wood ie handle end pointing towards your right shoulder if working towards the left AND also rotated slightly anticlockwise so only the left edge is on the toolrest.
see http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1725
and also to the bottom of this page http://www.stuartking.co.uk/index.php/articles/video/
AndyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 27th October 2012, 7:28 pm

Thanks for the tips Andy. I read that post sitting at my desk, trying to visualise the position - I had a fleeting memory of an "A"-level physics exam, sitting there arranging the fingers of both hands at right angles and looking backward and forward between them, trying desperately to remember which hand was for motor rule, and which for dynamo. Then looking up and realising that a good few people were stuck on the same question Laughing

Anyway, I got some sneaky practice in today in the garden, trying out my lathe I've just finished. Smoothing with the skew went much better, but I still need practice turning beads !

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top