A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Yesterday at 8:32 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by FloBear Yesterday at 10:24 am

» Insect hotel
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:30 am

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:23 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:56 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44340 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Just Found This...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Just Found This...

Post by Sparhawk on 30th December 2009, 11:49 pm

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Just Found This...

Post by Adrian on 31st December 2009, 12:17 am

Yes, do yourself a favour and don't read the nasty comments made about them.

Vile Vile newspaper and its disgusting BNP readership, makes me shudder..

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 31st December 2009, 12:25 am

Badger wrote:Yes, do yourself a favour and don't read the nasty comments made about them.

Vile Vile newspaper and its disgusting BNP readership, makes me shudder..

Yes, I hadn't read the comments, I don't normally read them on articles that I find, there's too many idiots that are on the internet, if they aren't interested why read it, sad people...

On a somewhat lighter note the newspaper that I have calls it the Daily Snail...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."

leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 31st December 2009, 1:04 am

Yes I know them personally and am glad to call them friends....the comments ARE vile but only to be expected in "that snot rag"...

They really DO , do all they say....

mind you, so do we.. Smile .and so do a lot of other people around my area...not that I am trying to detract from Rae and her family at all with that comment...but just making the general point that it is NOT a strange or unusual lifestyle, as the snot rag would want us to believe... Smile an awful lot of people actually DO live like this and we don't feel deprived or odd about it.... Smile

Before our doorstep recycling started last month we took all our recycleables to the HWS when we were going that way and our weekly landfill bin collection was around 150 g a week....

less on a good week Smile

Now the recycling collection takes virtually everything we normally produce as waste packaging..so we are down to about 50 g or less per week in the land fill bin..

And yes we DO live a "normal " life..so if we can do it, and the Greens..and Almost Mrs Average......well I will leave it to you to decide on the next bit!

this is a personal passion of mine...I work as a sustainability consultant trying to spread the word that all this is very easy and do-able....
Smile

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 31st December 2009, 8:57 am

What horrid horrid comments some of them were. Evil or Very Mad

We have 3 bins in our area - normal grey one, blue for recycling (glass, cans, plastic), brown for compostable waste and a green bag for paper. Grey ones are collected weekly, blue bins and paper fortnightly and brown ones fortnightly during the summer and I think monthly during the winter

I hardly ever put the brown one out as I compost as much as I can. The grey one goes out once every couple of months usually, unless I've had a big clear out and stuff needs to go in and the blue one gets put out monthly and that's mainly cat food tins (and bottles Embarassed ) I save lots of jars for my jam/chutney making. Tetra packs are still my main problem but there's rumours that they may be starting recycling those and they can go in the blue bin as well (DD's council collect them this way)

It just takes some thought to do and I'm going to try and reduce how much I throw away even more this year by being even more careful about packaging and stuff
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 31st December 2009, 9:05 am

CW, I hope when you next contact your friends you will tell them that they have loads of admirers. As for the comments, well they do say ignorance is bliss, but I prefer If you can`t say somthing nice, say nothing. I think they are really great. :bigclap: I take my net bags for the veggies & the shop is impressed, that was after they laughed at the nursery net I used.

We are quite lucky on the Island as the rubbish is sorted at the reclamation plant. We do not even have to seperate our tins.
polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 31st December 2009, 9:19 am

Ignoring the comments people have added to the article... Evil or Very Mad

Good on them, but I do worry that the paper is making them out to be "special" if you know what I mean. I don't want to knock their achievement or anything, but as CW says they're not the only people doing something like this and once you get yourself organised it's not that difficult to do.

We found it hard in the flat due to lack of space to sort and store stuff, but here in the house we really have minimised what we put out for landfill. Not enough I hasten to add (and I'll be looking to address that in 2010!) but what someone should be running in response is an article on how everyone else could do similar.

We're lucky here in that everything except tetra packs is collected from the kerb for recycling. We now have a huge collection of tetra packs under the kitchen counter waiting for us next to drive to the part of town where we can recycle them. A six month collection has shown us just how much we use them though! Shocked

Mrs C

My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 31st December 2009, 10:27 am

If you want to go and leave them a message their web site is MyZeroWaste.com

I think what makes them more newsworthy is they DIDN'T used to do all this until a year ago AND their website is amazing.... Very Happy

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 31st December 2009, 10:52 am

I think the comments are the most enlightening bit about the article. Was quite surprised by the number of positive comments among the nonsense actually.

The response by Mr Strauss to the comments was good, I thought.
Talking about waste and recycling seems to be a very emotive subject. Yes, I'm the guy in this story above. There are already too many comments here to reply to everyone, but let me say this:: We do not set ourselves up as a standard, or yardstick for anyone. This is our conviction that it's time we took personal responsibility for aspects of the world we live in. It's a small contribution to demonstrate that individuals can make a difference, with the possibility that collectively we can make a huge reduction on environmental contamination. It's so easy to blame someone else for the problems we see with landfill, incineration and the huge mountain of food waste. Ultimately, we the consumer drive the markets and producers, so we must take a part of the responsibility in sending a clear message back that something has to change with regards to non-recyclable packaging. All waste is a product of bad design and we are trying to change that, hopefully by inspiration, not by judgement.

- Richard Strauss, Gloucestershire, 30/12/2009 16:28

My prize for 'Daily-Mailist' reply goes to:
Can someone at least give them a new bin. The neighbours would speak about us if we put out a bin like that.

That really made me LMAO. Imagine someone actually read that article and felt moved to post that reply.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 31st December 2009, 12:57 pm

Just clicked through to their site and realised that I was on there just yesterday (from a link Brigit left elsewhere) and hadn't made the connection! It is indeed a very good site - worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

Mrs C

MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31st December 2009, 1:13 pm

Why not leave a snotty comment to all the F*ckwits on the Daily Mail site ?
Like I just did !

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 31st December 2009, 1:22 pm

Like it Gus :star: :star: :star:
polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31st December 2009, 1:24 pm

And only read the Daily Mash:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/section/news/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 31st December 2009, 1:50 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:Why not leave a snotty comment to all the F*ckwits on the Daily Mail site ?
Like I just did !

Well done Gus, I just gave you a green boost....!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 31st December 2009, 2:13 pm

Strangely the chap looks spookily like Trigger from Only Fools and Horses, who was a binman, IIRC.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 31st December 2009, 3:48 pm

Gus!!!

I take it you were Mr Sette from Essex crylaugh...

CW having read your posts, & looked at the article again I have just realised who it is, you can tell the lady that her book is good, & I've tried to reccomend it to as many people as I can & I hope a few idiots don't upset them...

by sparhawk on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:47 pm

I have just started reading a new book in the Green Guides series "Compost" by Rachelle Strauss... £8.99 new published in 2009 bought from charity shop for 99p ...

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 31st December 2009, 6:14 pm

Well done Gus - a green boost from me too!

Mrs C

MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Green on 17th January 2010, 8:14 am

Hi Everyone,

The lovely Compostwoman told me about your forum today, so I've come over to have a nose. Thank you for all the comments about our Daily Snail article.

MrsC - I completely agree with you about the 'special' things. I hate the fact we have been called the 'ultimate green family' - that is so not us! Sure we do our bit, but there are many people who do far more, only they do not blog about it or really tell people about what they are doing. So I feel highly embarrassed by the 'look at this special family' slant because there are so many like us.

Never mind; we're happy to get our message out there - no matter how misconstrued it might be! If you knew me, you'd know that I'm extremely shy and reserved about myself, so being in the limelight has been really difficult at times.

Wilhelm, Trigger :biglaugh: You scarily have a point LOL! I'd never seen it myself, but now I've been studying photos of the guy for the past 5 minutes and I have to hand all powers of observation to you (I'll just ignore the point that trigger is over 10 years older than my dh Wink )

Angelina; great to hear you are going to try to take some more steps this year. Good luck with that and holler if I can be of help in any way.

Like Compost Woman has pointed out - we do lead normal lives (beer, curry, plastic crap toys from China - sigh) but we're just people who care about the impact of our actions; like you lovely people here....

Right, I'm off for a browse around the other forums.

Warm wishes
Rae x
Mrs Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top