A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head Today at 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

» Mobile phones
by freebird 3rd December 2016, 12:39 pm

» What veg do you never need to buy ?
by Dandelion 1st December 2016, 7:30 pm

» Reusing feathers from pillow for darught excluder??
by Jaded Green 1st December 2016, 5:10 pm

» November garden sowings
by Chilli-head 25th November 2016, 10:59 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 15th November 2016, 10:36 am

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44092 messages in 2293 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

The true cost of imported goods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default The true cost of imported goods

Post by Chilli-head on 3rd September 2013, 10:37 am

I have long believed that our capitalist economy is a very efficient system for turning raw materials into landfill, driven by human greed. Now. according to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] BBC story, it is worse than we thought !

I have become fed up of the prevelance of imported goods, which seem at a glance like a great bargin, but are of such low quality as to be scarcely fit for purpose. I think of cheap tools made in China with a design lifespan measured in minutes. Toys that fall apart if a child should actually attempt to play with them. All those resources wasted to make goods that are next to useless. I've resolved to either buy quality stuff if I need it and can afford it, or just say no.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: The true cost of imported goods

Post by Dandelion on 3rd September 2013, 12:12 pm

great 

(Interesting about South Africa BTW)

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 3rd September 2013, 12:30 pm

We are out the same stable on that one, CH. I find the whole thing utterly, utterly depressing. I try to live in a way that my conscience finds acceptable, but anything I can do isn't even a drop in the ocean. I have come to the sad conclusion that things will only change when people are forced to change, either by law or by circumstances.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 3rd September 2013, 1:22 pm

I once heard it said that MPs will act on global warming only when they need scuba gear to enter the house. It is probably about right !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 3rd September 2013, 3:54 pm

Chilli-head wrote:I once heard it said that MPs will act on global warming only when they need scuba gear to enter the house.  It is probably about right !
yes - they're probably more insulated against the 'slings and arrows of outrageous fortune' than the rest of us are

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 4th September 2013, 5:38 pm

I'm on the same hymn sheet on that one too.  (for some reason I can't see any link to a BBC story).  I think it is particularly sad that so many children never get the opportunity to know what good quality is - not just toys but TV, books, clothes.  I try to do my small bit, whenever I give anything to children of my acquaintance I always make sure that it's something well made in the hope that they might learn to realise that everything is not cheap, plastic trash.
A very minor, personal bugbear of mine is elastic.  What has happened to it? It never lasts more than 2 or 3 months before any vestige of stretch has gone.  It's a good thing we no longer have to rely on it to keep our knickers up!
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 4th September 2013, 8:20 pm

I guess we are all of the same mind on this one, which is not surprising on here ..

Ploshkin, if you click on the "this" of "this BBC story" you'll get there. The links are in a very, very slightly different colour - it is a pity they are not more obvious !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 4th September 2013, 8:57 pm

Ploshkin wrote:A very minor, personal bugbear of mine is elastic.  What has happened to it?  It never lasts more than 2 or 3 months before any vestige of stretch has gone.  It's a good thing we no longer have to rely on it to keep our knickers up!
Mine have elastic - how do yours stay up then!!?
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 4th September 2013, 9:50 pm

They're pretty much stretchy all over these days not like the old navy blue gym knickers with elastic threaded through the top hem.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 5th September 2013, 2:01 pm

Thank you CH - that's a very subtle distinction for the link.

When I read .... 'if we only look at one indicator we get the wrong information' it reminded me of something that I heard in a radio programme some time ago. It was about destruction of rain forest & it had become a particular problem in this place (I forget exactly where) because forest was being cleared to grow sisal. The reason for the increase in demand for sisal - making 'bags for life' for the environmentally conscious!
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 5th September 2013, 2:59 pm

Argh !  It is remarkable that people even try to be green in a consumerist way.  Avoiding wasting plastic bags by buying a resuable sisal or cotton bag, produced using vastly more energy than the plastic one.

To me it is more about thinking "Do I really need this"  before buying something new,  and "What could do / make with this" before throwing something away.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 5th September 2013, 3:21 pm

When the supermarkets first started promoting 'bags for life' and trying to reduce the plastic one-use bags, I bought a couple of nylon bags that pack away really small - they cost 79p each. After a while, the handle stitching came away on one bag. As I was sewing back together, the man asked what I was doing. I told him and said, I'll bet there're not many people that would bother to sew the handle back on a 79p bag. He replied, No, but I bet that most of them that do are in your family!
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th September 2013, 4:37 pm

In that case we must be distantly related, as that's just the kind of thing my mother would have done - she was a great mender and sewer (as in sewing, not the pipes which take waste water away!) Sadly she can't hold a needle easily now because of arthritis.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top