A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head Today at 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

» Mobile phones
by freebird 3rd December 2016, 12:39 pm

» What veg do you never need to buy ?
by Dandelion 1st December 2016, 7:30 pm

» Reusing feathers from pillow for darught excluder??
by Jaded Green 1st December 2016, 5:10 pm

» November garden sowings
by Chilli-head 25th November 2016, 10:59 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 15th November 2016, 10:36 am

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44092 messages in 2293 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Very small energy saving tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Very small energy saving tips

Post by freebird on 18th January 2014, 6:13 pm

We all know about the big things we should do to save energy - but does anyone have their own little things that they do, that might inspire the rest of us?

I got my inspiration from something Pol said on another thread, about keeping a flask of hot water instead of boiling the kettle every time a hot drink was wanted. I quite often boil potatoes for mashing (for a shepherds pie, for example), or par boil for roasting. As I will be cooking vegetables later, instead of draining the potato cooking water down the sink, I drain it into a flask. It gets used again later for the vegetables, saving quite a lot of heat up time and gas, and if I happen to be cooking a roast, it all ends up in the gravy.
freebird

Back to top Go down

default Re: Very small energy saving tips

Post by Dandelion on 18th January 2014, 8:02 pm

After what you said about gas rings (smaller rings using less gas) Freebird, I start pans off on the bigger rings now then move them and have them simmering on a small as ring (with as little gas) as possible. I feel quite stupid to have passed my half century some time ago, but I though all rings produced the same amount of gas!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 19th January 2014, 10:41 am

I don't do ironing - saves energy in more ways than one.

Mr P knows not to buy shirts that need ironing. He got one recently & pointed out to me that it said 'easy iron' on the package - I'm sure you can guess what my reply was.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 19th January 2014, 11:09 am

Cooking rice or pasta, cover with water about 1ins above top of contents cover with a fitting lid. Bring to the boil, simmer for 5mins & then turn of heat & leave for 15 or so mins. Cooks a treat.

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 19th January 2014, 1:06 pm

Ploshkin wrote:I don't do ironing - saves energy in more ways than one.
Ha! I'd forgotten about that one! Nor do I. Though I do like sheets and pillowcases to be pressed, as I will only have cotton and not cotton polyester. Once washed, they are carefully folded and put under the cushions on the sofa and armchair. Only takes a few days for them to come out nice and flat.

Did come a cropper once, though, when we lost the man's sleeping bag liner. I was sure he had left it on a fishing trip, and said as much. Had to eat my words when I went to 'iron' the next batch of bedding, and found the liner under the sofa cushion.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th January 2014, 2:09 pm

polgara wrote:Cooking rice or pasta, cover with water about 1ins above top of contents cover with a fitting lid.  Bring to the boil, simmer for 5mins & then turn of heat & leave for 15 or so mins.  Cooks a treat.

Ooh, thanks Pol - I'll try that one.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 20th January 2014, 10:10 am

I'm struggling to think of much to add here. My favourite though is to go steady on supposedly labour saving gadgets. Blenders, food processors, juicers, you know the sort of thing. All these jobs can (and used to) be done without appliances which consume energy and - when washing up is taken into account - save little labour !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 20th January 2014, 11:32 am

Use a steamer. According to Wartime recipie books you can cook a whole meal using a 2 tier one. Meat pud & then pots in the bottom one, veg in the top 2. Instead of a meat pud, a jam roly poly or similar in the bottom with the pots.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 20th January 2014, 11:48 am

-- plus you can uses the plates as a pan lid, so warming them in the process.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 20th January 2014, 3:43 pm

polgara wrote:Use a steamer.  According to Wartime recipie books you can cook a whole meal using a 2 tier one.  Meat pud & then pots in the bottom one, veg in the top 2.  Instead of a meat pud, a jam roly poly or similar in the bottom with the pots.
And, rather out of fashion these days, a pressure cooker. Mine doesn't get a lot of use, but there are some things I always use if for, such as cooking gammon for a Sunday meal. I can roast potatoes in the Remoska, which uses 450 watts, rather than putting on the oven. And going back to the topic of marmalade, I believe my mum always cooks her oranges for marmalade in her pressure cooker - I've another two batches to make, so I might try that.

Oh, and for those of you with log burners: I always have a kettle of water sitting on top, pre-warming for hot drinks. If you don't have a hob kettle, a saucepan will do.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 23rd January 2014, 7:50 pm

polgara wrote:Cooking rice or pasta, cover with water about 1ins above top of contents cover with a fitting lid.  Bring to the boil, simmer for 5mins & then turn of heat & leave for 15 or so mins.  Cooks a treat.
In a similar vein to Pol's suggestion, I've been experimenting with cooking in a thermos flask. I bought the man a food flask for Christmas, as he goes on day long fishing trips in the cold. Whilst researching different flasks on t'internet, I came upon a review by someone who cooks porridge in their flask. Interest piqued, I explored a bit more......

So far I've cooked potatoes, rice, pasta and a lamb shank stew. The short cooking-time items are probably better done Pol's way, as I can't see that any energy is saved because you have to boil water to heat the flask, as well as boiling the thing you are cooking. Despite this, I can see it having great potential for camping, when you may be restricted to a single cooking ring/burner. The lamb shank stew was done in a large 1.8 litre flask, and left for about 8 hours. It was all cooked, though some vegetables were not quite as tender as I like them, so I simmered it gently for a further hour before serving.

If I had the space, I would seriously consider installing a hay box in the kitchen!
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 23rd January 2014, 8:56 pm

You could try solar cooking:
http://www.greek-recipe.com/about-solar-cooking/

The trouble is that if there is enough sun to cook by, I'm not usually in the mood for a stew !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top