A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 11th November 2017, 10:48 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44869 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Knitting in the round

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Knitting in the round

Post by Dandelion on 3rd January 2015, 10:48 pm

Having given all my circular knitting needles away years ago, because I just didn't think I was going to use them any more, I have begun to replace them again. I learnt to knit on circular needles when i was at art college: there was a Norwegian student on my course, and she taught a few of us. Having gone back to it, I hear that there is now a new technigue, magic loop knitting. has anyone tried it? I've watched a Youtube clip which was quite difficult to follow - I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of it or perfected it!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

default Re: Knitting in the round

Post by Ploshkin on 4th January 2015, 11:20 am

I have heard of it Dandelion but didn't really understand what it was about.  I got the impression it was to do with having a 'seamless' join but when you knit in the round, whether on 4 needles or  circular  needles that's what you get anyway.  

I wonder if some stuff has got lost over the years - currently getting back into sewing, & looking to see what's new in the intervening years, I'm finding quite a lot of excitement about techniques that I was taught at school and that what I consider to be my basic sewing skills are now regarded as 'couture'.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 4th January 2015, 11:38 am

I think the idea of magic loop knitting is that you can make a seamless 'tube' of knitting (as you do with four needles or a circular needle, as you said P), but you can make a tube of a very small diameter (such as the cuff for a child's glove) on a long circular needle. The benefit would be that you don't need to buy circular needles of different lengths, but could use the same long needle even for small items.
I'll find half an hour sometime when I'm on my own (which is a rarity...) and sit down and watch the youtube clip with needles and wool in hand, and try and fathom it out. It'll be good for my brain ('use it or lose it'...)

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 4th January 2015, 11:45 am

I just had another look too and was going to do the same i.e. with needles in hand. I'm sure I've used circular needles in the past for things that don't need the whole length of cable (like necks) without thinking about it but I've not done anything very small like cuffs or socks.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 1st April 2017, 10:07 am

I've dug up this thread because I am indeed magic loop knitting.
I decided to take the plunge and buy a set of Knit Pro interchangeable needles (they screw on to different length cables). I keep talking to people in knitting shops who say how wonderful they are especially if you have arthritic hands (which I don't but I do have carpal tunnel and tendonitis)
I found an interesting Norwegian knitting site called Drops Design with hundreds of free translated patterns, many knitted in the round and set to with a straightforward sweater knitted in the round and top down - a completely new departure for me. I realised that I would need to master magic loop because the circumference of the knitting was going to keep changing and the cable wouldn't necessarily be the right length. I found a tutorial with photographs which was much easier to follow than videos and its so easy. I can see me knitting a lot more like this and I think I will stick with cables for flat knitting too.
I'm on the kindle at the mo but will put on some links for any interested knitters when I get on the computer.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 1st April 2017, 12:23 pm

It's something I'd like to get my head around (but I need some time to do it!!)

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 1st April 2017, 3:41 pm

Here are some links - it will be a miracle if they all work properly!

These are the excellent interchangeable needles that I got
Knit Pro needles

This is the tutorial that finally made me understand how to do magic loop
Magic Loop Tutorial

Here is the Drops Design website if anyone is interested
Drops Design

and here is the start of my top down, in the round sweater. I like the idea of having no sewing up at the end. You can see one end of the 'magic loop'
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 1st April 2017, 6:36 pm

Thank you - it looks like one of those activities which you learn more by actually trying it out. When I read a description my brain wouldn't take it all in!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 2nd April 2017, 10:31 am

I'm a knitter too. That look really interesting, Ploshkin. I like knitting in the round and have umpteen pairs of gloves and three pairs of socks. Last Autumn I bought a pattern online for a zip up cardi and discovered when it arrived that it was knitted on a circular needle. Very interesting to knit and quite challenging as it was a US pattern and I had to get my head round the terminology as well. It was brilliant having no seams to sew!
It also had an interesting sort-of cable pattern up the sleeves and the sides and up the yoke giving a raglan sleeve effect. Not that easy to photograph.

FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 2nd April 2017, 4:48 pm

That looks gorgeous, Flo. I loathe knitting, unfortunately, but do crochet from time to time. I've used the Drops website before for some good crochet patterns.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 2nd April 2017, 5:44 pm

Thank you Freebird. It's very cosy and soft. I may knit another one sometime. Depends how that yarn hand-washes, though.
Crochet's good. I only know a few basics and am not very good at keeping it even.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

Ooh, love the detail. I'm keen on the idea of no sewing up - I hate doing it.
Freebird, if you crochet have you seen the fabulous birds that Alan Dart designs?
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 18th August 2017, 9:46 am

I know it's still summer - well, it is today - but I am getting prepared for the next season and, to that end, have bought a set of Knit Pro needles that Ploshkin mentioned. They are gorgeous, I could just hold them and not bother to knit for a while!!

I need to look at the tutorial sometime as I've never figured out how to knit small circles (spirals if we're being strictly accurate!) on a circular needle without stretching the knitting very badly.

Roll on knitting season!
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

The tutorial in photos is very good. Thanks for the link, Ploshkin. I knitted a little experimental tube and it only took a couple of rounds to get into the swing of it.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top