A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 0 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird Today at 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird Today at 7:50 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 11th November 2017, 10:48 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Dandelion 26th October 2017, 2:16 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44868 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Freecycle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Freecycle

Post by Chilli-head on 17th February 2015, 11:00 am

Anyone here use freecycle ?

I'm trying to free up some storage space in the loft at the moment, by moving on infant related stuff that we are not going to use again. Freecycle seemed like a good option.

Is there any mechanism to stop people cherry picking stuff off Freecycle and selling it on Ebay ? Or is it down to the giver to consider the motives of the would be recipient ? I suppose you could say that as I just want it gone, and can't be bothered selling it myself, should I worry what they want to do with it, but I'd rather it went to someone who needs it than a profiteer.

Feeling a bit frustrated with the experience at the moment. One would think that giving stuff away, that is in good condition and would cost a bit, ought to be easy. One might think that the recipients would make a bit of effort to collect at the giver's convenience. Seems I expect too much Rolling Eyes
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Freecycle

Post by freebird on 17th February 2015, 2:41 pm

Yes I've used Freecycle a little, but only for giving, not receiving. I tend to use if for things that would be difficult for a charity shop to dispose of, but still have use and value.

The most recent thing I Freecycled was a new piece of leftover kitchen worktop. Before that, a working, but not very brilliant vacuum cleaner.

Regarding collection, I'm flexible within what is convenient for me. If that doesn't suit the collector then tough. There'll be others.

In your position, CH, I think I would give the goods to a charity shop, then at least the shop is benefitting from their sale. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I don't think you can really vet the people who come to collect.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 17th February 2015, 8:17 pm

We used Freecycle to get rid of a usable rabbit hutch, which eventually went. It took a while, and the hutch seemed to be in the hallway for a long time, but maybe that's because we're in a smallish town. It was useful to the person who finally took it, and helped them out, but it couldn't have been resold as it wasn't that brilliant.
Do you have a local branch or NCT which could direct your items to someone who could use them? Failing that your local food bank might know of a new parent who would be grateful

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 17th February 2015, 9:14 pm

I had a similar thought to Dandelion after I had posted - in that there are often charitable societies (quite often attached to churches) that will take furniture and other goods for families who have little.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 18th February 2015, 9:03 am

I don't use Freecycle simply because when I went to register it seemed that I had to open a Yahoo account in order to register so I didn't bother.  (If the computer tries to make me do something I just back right off.  At least then I feel as if I have some element of control even if I don't really.)  Although I'm not on Facebook, Mr P is & we have found that a good place for selling & buying stuff (even pigs!).  I'm not sure how it works but I think there is a local 'for sale' page.

Last edited by Ploshkin on 18th February 2015, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not properly awake yet)
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top