A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

Chilli-head

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Excellent publication
by Dandelion Yesterday at 5:07 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 16th October 2017, 9:26 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 16th October 2017, 5:54 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 3rd October 2017, 8:28 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 3rd October 2017, 2:22 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

Statistics
We have 633 registered users
The newest registered user is domestic

Our users have posted a total of 44794 messages in 2328 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Tomato growing systems

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: Tomato growing systems

Post by Chilli-head on 28th June 2015, 10:14 pm

A truly imperial tomato !

This is an Amish Gold, from seed I got rom the seed swap.  It is a whopping 1lb 1 1/2 oz.  It took two days for us to eat it !  Not the biggest flavour, but a glorious peachy gold inside, all flesh with hardly any pulp and seeds.

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 6th September 2015, 12:20 pm

Apart from the dismal weather this year meaning slow growth and non ripening, I have had my best ever crops of tomatoes in terms of quantity, size and consistency of fruit. The only thing I did differently from usual was to not use any high potash feed. I used a balanced feed at every watering at a recommended dilution. I also continued with the scant watering that I employed last year. I've just looked at the boxes, the high potash feed is 18 - 0 - 30 and the balanced feed is 19 - 8.3 - 15.8. Perhaps they like to have a bit of P(hosphorous). Here's a couple of pics - dig out those green tomato recipes, I'll be needing them.

These are Tasha (F1)

and these are Black Cherry
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 6th September 2015, 9:45 pm

You never know - they may still ripen, as we're meant to be having some warmer weather over the next week.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 6th September 2015, 9:48 pm

I'm interested in the size of pots you used P. I've used quite big pots (buckets, actually, with handles removed and holes drilled for drainage. £1 each, so cheaper than actual flowerpots of the same diameter) Do you think the size of the pot affects the yield? How many times a day did you need to water? And which feed did you use?

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 6th September 2015, 10:28 pm

Those black pots are bottomless pots on a fat grow bag. A couple of the bags have grow pots which hold a lot less compost than the black ones. I used Vitax balanced feed at the recommended dilution for feeding at every watering - which I did. Apart from the initial soaking of the grow bag each bag was watered only once a day, 2 litres per bag. We have had minimal sun this year though, I would probably have used a bit more water if it had been hot.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 7th September 2015, 11:46 am

Ploshkin wrote:
and these are Black Cherry

My Black Cherries, which I grew outdoors, are only just starting to ripen. As part of the clear up at the weekend I found space to move one into the greenhouse, and one into a sunnier spot outdoors. I'm hoping there's still chance for them to ripen. In previous years I've had tomatoes ripening on the vine in the greeenhouse as late as November, so there is hope yet.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 11th September 2015, 12:24 pm

There was something interesting on the TV the other day though I only caught a bit of it. A grower is experimenting with using just blue & red light for growing tomatoes, cucumbers and the like under cover. He said that the plants only use light at the ends of the spectrum & are not bothered with the bits in the middle. I would assume that it starts with predominately blue for vegetative growth & moves to predominantly red for fruit (when I caught up with it most of the lights were red with just a few blue ones. The thinking behind this is that it would enable crops to be grown in disused industrial buildings, tunnels or even underground.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 11th September 2015, 7:55 pm

Interesting. Similar things have been done in raising ornamental plants for some time.

It is visually apparent that plants mostly use the red and blue parts of the spectrum - the bit they don't absorb or use is reflected off, which is why they are usually green ! Now, there is more to it than saving energy by not giving them green light. Many plants are sensitive to green light, and respond to it by growing upwards more rapidly. It is the mechanism for competing for light; a plant having lots of near neighbours will receive more green light reflected from its neighbours, and will respond to it by rocketing upwards. In a packed glasshouse, this will lead to leggy plants. But - you can trick them by using magenta (red + blue) lights or filters; the plants then recieve a lower proportion of green light so are fooled into not noticing their competitiors, and remain bushy. I suppose the same mechanism might produce more trusses of tomatoes in the same vertical space. I have not heard of it being used on vegetables before though.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top