A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

» Quilting
by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 11:58 am

» The Polytunnel
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 10:34 pm

» Host an Image wants a password
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 2:14 pm

» Drawings
by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 2nd July 2017, 10:15 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Ploshkin 30th June 2017, 10:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by FloBear 29th June 2017, 9:10 am

» What are you preserving today?
by FloBear 27th June 2017, 8:19 pm

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

Statistics
We have 630 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44461 messages in 2310 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Recycling discarded clothing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Recycling discarded clothing

Post by Ploshkin on 9th April 2015, 9:32 am

I came across this link
http://aeon.co/video/society/unravel-how-india-recasts-the-clothes-the-west-throws-away/
The video is about 15 minutes & quite sobering to watch but it is why we do what we on this forum do.  If you haven't got time for the whole thing just watch the first few minutes.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

default Re: Recycling discarded clothing

Post by Chilli-head on 9th April 2015, 4:02 pm

I have never understood this business of discarding quite useable clothes. But then, I don't enjoy clothes shopping. It takes me ages, and then I might easily find nothing I like. Being a middle aged man, nobody is really interested in my custom anyway. Probably just as well, they would not make much money - the few clothes I do find that I like get a lot of wear, because they are few. When not fit to wear in public, they will do for gardening, woodworking, etc. Then they are really worn out ! It does sometimes make me wonder why I bother when I see the waste some people generate without a second thought.

The one thing to take heart from in a tiny way from that video I suppose is that they were actually re-cycled into something.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 9th April 2015, 7:16 pm

It's taken a bit a perseverance to watch the video. Wouldn't load on the laptop and froze.

To hear their views on Western women makes me feel ashamed to be one of them. I rarely indulge in new clothes and more often buy from charity shops. That video really brings home the appalling scale of waste.

Thanks for posting it Ploshkin.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 12th November 2015, 4:33 pm

I thought of this video watching Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's latest series. The mountain of discarded, hardly used clothing was depressing, as were some of the people who seemed to need to constantly buy stuff to make themselves feel good. Do young people not have hobbies these days ?

Praisworthy though these celebrity campaigns are, I do fear that they are largely preaching to the converted though. Hope I'm wrong !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 12th November 2015, 10:18 pm

I know what you mean - if you're interested enough to watch it, you probably already care enough to live more sustainably. I've missed this week's programme, but I did make a point of buying some less-than-perfect parsnips last weekend!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 13th November 2015, 7:54 am

Ah yes, the less than perfect veg. If I threw out all the veg from the allotment that was less than supermarket aesthetic standard, I'd have nothing left !

We're sending C-H jnr to school with all homegrown veg to make his cottage pie in cookery today. He watched HFW's programme, so now he can feel he's doing his bit !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 7th January 2016, 2:35 pm

Well now there's a funny thing. I am quite sure I recall mentioning I didn't know what to do with an inherited fur coat - remember mentioning not wanting to attract animal rights attention, and Hairyloon saying blow them, just do it.

Anyway, can't find anything. So, I've been wanting to be rid of a fur coat that belonged to my late partner's mother. Looked on ebay, but 99% had no bids, so thought it not worth trying. Did some internet research, and after some dead ends, came upon a chance comment in some forum (ha, ha, did a typo and put furum) that some animal rights organisation would take them.

Went to the animal rights own website and they most certainly do. They donate fur coats to homeless people, to refugees that encounter colder temperatures, and also use them for bedding for orphaned animals. Any of those are fine in my book - so packed it up and sent it off today. Hooray. I've had that wretched thing for 12 or 13 years now, and am so glad to be rid of it at last.

Now to deal with surplus motorcycle gear.....
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 7th January 2016, 4:10 pm

Funny you should say that Freebird, only very recently I'd heard of an animal charity taking unwanted furs for needy sick animals. If you'd asked the question now that is what I would have said.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 7th January 2016, 4:54 pm

You're not imagining it FB - it was in this thread. Glad you found a worthwhile (and safe !) way of passing it on.

I had a thought over Christmas that I ought to clear out some of the clothes I don't wear anymore. But then I started pulling them out of my wardrobe and realising that what goes around comes around, and they look quite acceptably fashionable again now. Hope they still fit !

Mind you, it may in part wishful thinking because I hate clothes shopping. It's a bit like the effect when backpacking - you shove dirty T shirts down the bottom of your rucksack, and a fortnight later, when there is no alternative but to waste time in a coin operated laundry or to buy more clothes, you rummage through your pack, find the ones that were considered dirty towards the start of the holiday and think "that'll do - it looks relatively respectable !"
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 7th January 2016, 10:32 pm

freebird wrote:
Went to the animal rights own website and they most certainly do. They donate fur coats to homeless people, to refugees that encounter colder temperatures, and also use them for bedding for orphaned animals. Any of those are fine in my book - so packed it up and sent it off today. Hooray. I've had that wretched thing for 12 or 13 years now, and am so glad to be rid of it at last.

Now to deal with surplus motorcycle gear.....

So is the rationale behind this that the animal rights organisation would prefer the fur to have some useful purpose, rather than being thrown away, but they don't want it seen as a status symbol?

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 7th January 2016, 11:13 pm

Yes, I think that's exactly right, Dandelion.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 8th January 2016, 3:55 pm

Sounds good to me!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 8th January 2016, 5:49 pm

I think it is an excellent. idea. LMJ wore her grandma's 70 year old fur coat one cold winter. As did I about 40 years ago.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 8th January 2016, 6:06 pm

What a good idea, freebird. And good on you for being persistent in your searches!
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top