A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you preserving today?
by freebird Yesterday at 11:06 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Insect hotel
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:30 am

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:23 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44345 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Two minute beach clean

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Two minute beach clean

Post by Chilli-head on 31st May 2015, 9:48 pm

I spotted this on Springwatch. Someone trying to harness the power of Social Networking to address a problem I feel strongly about:

2minutebeachclean

I would love to do it, but the distance from here to a beach rather rules me out. But it is not just beaches - plastic rubbish is everywhere, so I am doing my bit, collecting plastic rubbish from the allotment, and picking up any I pass by with my wheelbarrow on the way home. Digging at the allotent today I was amazed by how much synthetic carpet remains are in amongst the soil, along with broken bits of all maner of plastic. I'm determined to remove more than I introduce at least !

Over in the Library I mentioned Alastair Humphrey's Microadventures book. He too comments on the disgraceful amounrt of rubbish left on Scafell Pike by Three Peaks Challengers, and urges every like-minded person to do their bit by not only taking home their waste, but taking home a bit of somebody else's too. I will be on Scafell in August, and will follow his example.

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Two minute beach clean

Post by freebird on 31st May 2015, 11:02 pm

Well we weren't up on Scafell two weeks ago, but walking on the lower paths of Cat Bells. And some thoughtful person/people had left two takeaway coffee cups, half full and complete with plastic lids, on top of a dry stone wall. And yes, we did pick them up, take them back to our campsite and dispose of them.

The only thing that makes me sad about campaigns like 2minute beach clean is that people need it drawn to their attention in the first place. The man and I have been doing it for years.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 1st June 2015, 2:33 pm

freebird wrote:
The only thing that makes me sad about campaigns like 2minute beach clean is that people need it drawn to their attention in the first place. The man and I have been doing it for years.

I know what you mean, and campaigns like 2 minute beach clean - and my mentioning it here - are mostly preaching to the converted. Well, I wasn't preaching really, more just lending support to the idea. I just hope that by mentioning it, those who already do remove trash will feel a bit less like an oddball for doing so. And that just maybe some of the people who create the trash, or just somehow fail to notice the plastic garbage littering the verge of almost every path and road - begin to see how big a problem it is becoming.

It really is hard for me to understand why people would travel to a beauty spot, and then go and litter it up.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 1st June 2015, 5:12 pm

Would love to be nearer to the coast, as this is something I would love to join in with.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top