A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 22nd April 2017, 9:06 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44169 messages in 2298 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Welcome guest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Welcome guest

Post by Chilli-head on 8th July 2016, 11:13 pm

This evening I happened upon a most welcome visitor my garden - a young and very noisy hedgehog. It has been years since I last saw one in the garden, and I know they are in decline, so I was delighted to see one. I guess this damp slug infested summer means they have a lot to eat. I do hope he stays !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Welcome guest

Post by freebird on 9th July 2016, 9:00 am

Oh lovely. Never get them here - don't even see squashed ones in the road.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 10th July 2016, 8:16 pm

That's great, I love hedgehogs. They're up and down here. We seem to be seeing a few more at the moment. It's not good for them to have badgers around.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 16th July 2016, 9:02 am

Chilli, that's amazing because hedgehogs have been gone from this area for many many years and I came upon one in my garden a few days ago. Well, the dogs did. There was tremendous persistent barking and I went out with my torch to find a decent sized hedgehog curled up and probably with his paws stuffed in his ears too. He was covered in dog dribble so I got the dogs indoors. He lay low for quite some time but was gone by the morning. My garden would be brilliant hoggy habitat so I hope he has a few friends to report back to.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 16th July 2016, 2:49 pm

We would see an occasional hoggy trotting across the road at dusk when we first moved here 14 years ago, and would also find droppings in the garden. We haven't seen any evidence of one for quite a few years now Crying or Very sad

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 16th July 2016, 5:22 pm

It's very sad, isn't it, because they are harmless little souls who do so much good for the garden. I reported my sighting on Hedgehog Street. And talking of reporting, I've only had one sighting of a Stag Beetle here this year, it's usually a few more than that.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 16th July 2016, 7:53 pm

I haven't seen a stag beetle for more than 30 years. I posted on here a while back I think, Flobear, about the nest of baby hedgehogs that my neighbour found after her dog had caught a hedgehog. There were 5 babies, about 3 days old and they had got quite cold and lethargic so I warmed them up on my body while she was getting a warm box ready to take them to a rescue place. They were beautiful and I do hope they survived. I forgot about hedgehog street, I should report them. I've seen a few this year.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 16th July 2016, 9:37 pm

I saw a stag beetle in my greenhouse last week. Usually see one or two each year.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 17th July 2016, 9:02 am

Ooh, Ploshkin, baby hedgehog cuddles, how lovely. I remember a neighbour finding a nest when I was a child and I was able to touch one of the babies, couldn't believe how loudly they squeaked.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 17th July 2016, 10:27 pm

I also haven't seen May Bugs for a long time

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 27th July 2016, 2:48 pm

I went outside late last night to put the onions away I'd left out drying in the sun so that they didn't get wet again, and on my way back to the house I heard a scurry - there was a hedgehog bottom sticking out from under my log store ! Glad to see my hoggie is still around.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th July 2016, 9:45 pm

Chilli-head wrote:I went outside late last night to put the onions away I'd left out drying in the sun so that they didn't get wet again, and on my way back to the house I heard a scurry - there was a hedgehog bottom sticking out from under my log store !  Glad to see my hoggie is still around.
Laughing

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 28th July 2016, 8:33 pm

Haven't seen my hoggy again, but then I haven't looked.
I'm afraid Mr or Ms Ratty is in evidence - in broad daylight yesterday!

Quite a few butterflies around in the sun. Red Admirals and Gatekeepers mostly and one Peacock, one Brimstone, one Small Tortoiseshell and a few Whites large, I think.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 18th October 2016, 4:58 pm

Mr / Ms Hoggy has been sighted several times lately. He/she seems to have a regular route up the side path and behind the raised beds. Was alarmed, on arriving home from yoga two weeks ago, to see my prickly friend ambling up the driveway. Have to keep a careful lookout now.
Another surprising and welcome recent visitor - who came again today -is a Grey Wagtail. Much more common on riverbanks, he was foraging at the side of my small front pond and then walking out on to the water! Not a miracle, there is so much Canadian pondweed that it would probably support a small Ostrich at the moment!
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th October 2016, 7:53 pm

How lovely FloBear!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 21st October 2016, 10:18 am

Another grey wagtail fan here. We used to have a lot of wagtails, pied and grey, always arrived just before the swallows but numbers have been noticeably sparse in recent years. But they seemed to have made a bit of a comeback this year, which is good news. Back in the summer I was confronted by a very agitated grey wagtail when I crossed the river and I realised that she was drawing my attention away from her newly fledged chicks that were taking a breather on a tree stump.
We have also had a definite rise in the number of hedgehogs around this year but I think that is probably linked to the badger population. I'm purely guessing but we do have a very active hunt.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 21st October 2016, 1:18 pm

I haven't spotted our hedgehog visitor in the garden for a little while, but I did see one in a neighbour's driveway a couple of weeks ago. I think they are quite wide-ranging in their foraging, so it may or may not be the same one. Perhaps I should have given him a prod back in our direction Laughing
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 21st October 2016, 4:15 pm

Ploshkin wrote:Another grey wagtail fan here.  We used to have a lot of wagtails, pied and grey, always arrived just before the swallows

They always remind me of fussy little civil servants in suits!!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 23rd October 2016, 10:06 am

Not unusual in the scheme of things but I was delighted to see a Greater Spotted Woodpecker on my birdbath yesterday. I thought I'd heard them occasionally but not seen one.
Also pleased to see that Autumnwatch is coming from Arne again this year. It feels a bit special to have them in one's local area as there is the opportunity to learn much about what is nearby.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 23rd October 2016, 1:08 pm

We hve a GSWoodpecker who is currently visiting most days. It goes to the top of a tall conifer in a neighbouring garden, so easy to see through binoculars.

Always feels quite special to have such things close by, since we live on an incredibly busy A road.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top