A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by FloBear Yesterday at 4:03 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

» Quilting
by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 11:58 am

» The Polytunnel
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 10:34 pm

» Host an Image wants a password
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 2:14 pm

» Drawings
by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 2nd July 2017, 10:15 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Ploshkin 30th June 2017, 10:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by FloBear 29th June 2017, 9:10 am

» What are you preserving today?
by FloBear 27th June 2017, 8:19 pm

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44463 messages in 2310 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Hugelkultur

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Hugelkultur

Post by Chilli-head on 5th September 2016, 4:18 pm

Has anyone heard of this ? tried it ? Recommend it ?

It is a German idea, as you might have guessed, and seems to be a sort of raised bed. But it is formed of a mound over rotting wood. Googling it produces mostly permacuture avocates, but adding a touch of credance is this article by Alys Fowler in the Guardian.

Why am I interested, when normally I don't favour raised beds ? At the bottom of my allotment, my last bed is underperforming. It gets very wet down there, and the soil isn' t great. The light could be better but for an overhanging silver birch. My thought is that this is an ideal spot for a raised bed of some sort; I have a fair amount of already partially rotted pear wood, the good stuff being destined for the stove, and a small collection of stumps etc. The overhanging birch tree might come into play too, or at least the bits not big enough for use on the pole lathe ! I can also skim off my paths, which were woodchip a couple of years ago but are now well composted and growing grass; the whole lot could go on in an inverted layer. I have about half a compost heap of pretty rough compost too.

My main cause for doubt is that decaying wood might be expected to deplete nitrogen. Adding the grass sods should help, but also I could grow leguminous crops/green manure, and/or water it with high nitrogen liquid ( No, not that one, I was thinking of nettles decomposed in the vertical plastic pipe over a bucket method I mentioned before).

Anyone have any thoughts ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Hugelkultur

Post by Dandelion on 5th September 2016, 10:32 pm

What do you reckon the time period for this sort of bed is? When the wood completely rots, do you maintain it as you would any other sort of raised bed? The reason I ask is that my first raised bed was at the bottom of the garden near to a conifer, which made the bed unworkable because it took up so much water from the soil. From this experience I would say that even if there's enough light, if it's near to a tree (as you mention, CH) it may be too dry.
I was interested in the fact that the tree trunk mentioned in the article was a leylandii - I would have thought that not much would grow around a leylandii because of the resin in it, but that's obviously not the case.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 6th September 2016, 1:11 am

I would have thought that you would get fungal things but perhaps not as the rotting wood is buried.
It reminds me of a conversation I was having very recently about having a dead animal in the hole before you plant a tree.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 6th September 2016, 12:32 pm

I've always made sure that all the hamsters, guinea pigs and chickens have been buried around fruit trees after they have lived a happy life - it seemed a waste to not!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 8th September 2016, 3:51 pm

hamsters, guinea pigs and chickens

I was thinking of something a little more nutritious like a sheep! Smile
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 8th September 2016, 4:36 pm

Bob Flowerdew did mention cats as a composting material, I think. Mind you, he also listed children amongst garden pests !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 8th September 2016, 5:25 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
hamsters, guinea pigs and chickens

I was thinking of something a little more nutritious like a sheep! Smile

crylaugh

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 17th October 2016, 9:48 am

Well, I am done in this morning.

Since I couldn't find anyone who's tried it, I had a go at making a Hugelkultur bed this weekend. On Saturday morning I cleared the remaining decent bits of my woodpile which was already sitting on where I wanted the bed to go. Brought home a barrow load of sawn and split pear wood for the stove and garden oven.

Yesterday was unexpectedly fine in the afternoon, so I got back to it, dug out 1 spade depth of soil, put in the partly rotten chunks of pear tree, an ash trunk section and some stumps I had been saving for the purpose. The remaining slug eaten brassicas went on top, roughly chopped by spade, then the remains of the climbing beans, and the grass from the paths. Heaped the soil I'd dug out back over - now I have a Hugel (hill) which looks very like a shallow grave for a 12' giant. I'll leave it to settle a bit, then put on some garden compost and sow broad beans on top next month. Perhaps in spring I'll sow green manure or dwarf beans on the sides - I'm thinking to go with nitrogen fixing plants to counter the inevitable nitrogen lock-up by the rotting wood.

So. I'll keep you posted. I half expect problems with nitrogen deficiency, but it is worth a go - it's not a big area of my plot to turn over to an experiment. I have this thought that in nature all sorts of stuff manages to grow in soil containing rotting fallen branches and trees covered by composting leaves, so maybe it should work.

The problem of the bed being near a silver birch tree will probably go away by spring. I'll need new pea sticks and a top up for the log pile Wink
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 7th November 2016, 12:47 pm

I levelled the compost I piled on top of my Hugel a bit this weekend, and sowed broad beans in a double row on top. Let's see how they get on. I'll perhaps plant some other stuff on the sides in spring.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 30th May 2017, 3:56 pm

Well, the broad beans were a partial sucess. Partial in the sense that a lot died over winter, but more survived to produce than have in the same spot in previous years without the hugel.

I sowed some dwarf French beans into the sides of my mound, and planted out some lettuce modules. The soil does seem to be staying reasonably moist.

So far, so good, but the jury is still out.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 26th June 2017, 8:08 pm

I see Hugelcultur got a mention in passing on Gardener's world last week; though they were using in with a wood framed raised bed, mine is just a mound like a shallow grave ...

The lettuce and French beans seem to have fared well on it so far, despite no additional water. The broad beans are out now, I think I'll stick with legumes and put some peas on the top, and maybe some more salads on the sides.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 22nd July 2017, 10:01 pm

Goodness me. I've never seen anything like these dwarf French beans. Each stalk has great bundles of beans. Amazingly productive. There was a purple one, Amethyst, and a green variety who's name escapes me for the moment. But are they just good varieties, is it that they like the weather, or is it the Hugel ? And is there any way of knowing ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 22nd July 2017, 10:14 pm

It does seem to be a good year for beans of all sorts. A friend of mine at school who looks after the Special Needs garden hasn't had time to tend the garden much this year. Sher literally threw handfuls of french beans seeds into the soil in the spring and left them. She is now picking bag after bag of beans and giving them away.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 22nd July 2017, 11:15 pm

Yes I'm having a good bean year too.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

Good broad bean year here. French beans went in late but are flowering so should be fine if the weather is kind.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top