A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Insect hotel
by Chilli-head Today at 11:30 am

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head Today at 11:23 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin Today at 10:06 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Dandelion 17th June 2017, 9:28 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:56 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44335 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Spinning

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Spinning

Post by Balanophage on 10th January 2010, 10:19 pm

Does anyone else here spin? I started a few years ago when a friend taught me how to use a drop spindle, and was lucky enough to be gifted a wheel about 6 months later. There's something magical about being able to turn random fluffy stuff into something you can make clothes out of...
Balanophage

http://cobbettschild.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

default Re: Spinning

Post by Luath on 10th January 2010, 10:36 pm

Big fan of random fluffy stuff here! I'm on 500g of Droset Horn at the moment, with a specific project in mind. I've not used a spindle, although I have a couple, but went straight to the wheel. I've a tent full of fleeces waiting...........Big fan of rare breed wools, though, that's where my passion lies - North Ronaldsay and the Dorsets in particular. Trying to get hold of some Ouessant currently, but no luck so far. Hoping to get a few sheep soon. In the meantime, for my sins, I'm Chairman of our local WSD guild.
Always happy to meet other spinners.
Luath

http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by frugalcrafty on 3rd August 2010, 10:23 am

I know this is an old postbut had to reply.
Big spinning fan here, bought a wheel first on a whim - and an irresistable bargain, had previously been looking at some books from the library including ones on building a wheel!
I've had my wheel for 14 months now, love it, find it so relaxing to do. I have spindles too and enjoy them but it's far quicker to produce something on a wheel, so they get left aside. I have an Ashford Traditional, but am thinking of trying something new (new to me anyway) over the next year, and will gift my Ashforfd to my daugher.
I love to try new fibres, different breeds and am oftem bought wool as a gift from family (they know me well). I can't resist asking at places what happens to their fleeces and often come home with fleece.

I spin mainly wool - Dorset Horn, Jacobs, Hampshire Down mainly. But have rather a stash of other fibres at the moment too - Alpaca, Llama, Shetland, BFL, Zwartbles, Wensleydale, some other long wool (?), Manx, Angorra, and probably more.

I'm a member of the Hampshire Guild of WSD (waving to Luath in Dorset) - I'm also the newsletter editor, and will probably get more involved in the committee in a few years when my daughter is a bit older.

Probably enough about me and spinning - lovely to "meet" others who spin.
frugalcrafty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd August 2010, 10:36 am

I spin. Use a wheel, Ashford Kiwi double treddle. I get my fleeces from various friends who have interesting sheep, a favourite being Shetland (of course!). Am looking for Mohair ... anyone have the goats? And yes I know I have to learn to comb instead of card ... at least so they tell me

Am hoping to work some more with one of our local Hereford Ryeland wool. Had a go with some a couple of years back but the friend no longer has those sheep. I don't know if the wool from kerry sheep is any good, does anyone else?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigan Pixie on 4th January 2011, 11:54 am

I've had a spinning wheel for a couple of years but never really bothered with it. It was just too difficult and I couldn't get a decent yarn no matter what I did, although I was pretty good with a drop spindle. Recent snowfall has prevented me from going out much so I decided to get to grips with my wheel. Everything suddenly clicked and I'm now spinning most days. I love it Very Happy

................................................................................................................................
http://wigan-pixie.blogspot.com/
http://pixieandwelshy.blogspot.com/
http://doing-it-his-way.blogspot.com/
Wigan Pixie

Back to top Go down

default I spin!

Post by seriwinde on 28th June 2011, 9:01 pm

I spin on an ashford traveler//(Jeanette) Im working on spinning bumpy lumpy for some fluffyiness to knit with... Seems I got spiderweb fine pretty well under control but learning to NOT spin so fine is a feat Im trying to master.... I always spun for my weaving projects but now need something for knitting!
Knitting seems to be a whole lot less time consuming than a loom and is way more portable.. but I still love my looms...

Seriwinde( new.. from central NC)
seriwinde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top