A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 19th January 2018, 6:57 pm

» A fresh start to 2018 in the January garden
by Dandelion 13th January 2018, 11:23 pm

» Chair #4: The lath back
by Chilli-head 13th January 2018, 5:55 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 10th January 2018, 12:47 pm

» What can *I* do ?
by Dandelion 7th January 2018, 10:20 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 7th January 2018, 10:18 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by freebird 7th January 2018, 9:37 pm

» New arrivals
by Ploshkin 6th January 2018, 9:25 pm

» Left-overs
by Dandelion 5th January 2018, 10:26 pm

» Recycling Christmas
by Dandelion 5th January 2018, 1:09 pm

» Trumpington wassail
by FloBear 4th January 2018, 4:35 pm

» It's now more difficult to dispose of plastic waste
by Dandelion 1st January 2018, 12:12 pm

» Turkey leftovers Mexican style
by Chilli-head 28th December 2017, 12:08 pm

» School visit
by Dandelion 26th December 2017, 11:59 am

» Endangered crafts
by Ploshkin 24th December 2017, 2:51 pm

» Two minute beach clean
by FloBear 15th December 2017, 10:10 am

» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin 13th December 2017, 1:42 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

Statistics
We have 632 registered users
The newest registered user is habsgrljj

Our users have posted a total of 45103 messages in 2345 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Seed swap anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Seed swap anyone?

Post by Dandelion on 23rd December 2017, 4:09 pm

It's that time of year again, when I dodge some of the preparations for the Big Day and think about something else for a change! Is anyone interested in a seed swap in the New Year, and if so, is there anything in particular you are looking for?

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

default Re: Seed swap anyone?

Post by freebird on 23rd December 2017, 8:13 pm

Yes please, Dandelion.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 24th December 2017, 2:54 pm

Me too please, Dandelion.  No special requests.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 26th December 2017, 12:00 pm

Will start the list and get it posted soon. Anyone else? Chilli?

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 26th December 2017, 12:28 pm

Yes, count me in please DL.

I have to confess that I've been lured into seed shopping already, but the seed swap can turn up some interesting new ideas.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 4th January 2018, 5:51 pm

I've had a good old sort out - I think thiS will be a year when I do much less gardening (I have my pre-op assessment for my first knee replacement at the beginning of February, which is making it all much more real) With this is mind, I've had a ruthless clear-out of all the seeds which probably would germinate this year but I wouldn't hold out much hope next year. Don't worry - I haven't put them in the seed swap pack but in the compost bin!! It's just been a good opportunity to clear stuff out and throw away/give away things I won't be using. I'll post the pack tomorrow - it's going to Ploshkin first.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 4th January 2018, 9:06 pm

I've just been shopping at the Organic Garden Catalogue. Spotted this kale

https://www.organiccatalogue.com/seeds/vegetable-seeds/vegetable-seeds-d-l/kale-borecole/kale-red-winter-organic-seeds.htm

Which looks to be very similar to the "Kathleen's Kale" I have from the seed swap. I'm still not sure how I should use it ? It's still there at the allotment, it hasn't grown huge - do you take off young leaves sometime (?) and cook them how ... ? Never grown kale before ...
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 4th January 2018, 9:56 pm

I've grown some red kale this year, though bought in young plants as I was still playing catch-up and missed sowing seed. I have so far only picked very young leaves to go with my other salad leaves to eat raw, for our own consumption. I have also picked a few batches of outer leaves for the dog! We give her a healthy portion of veg to replace some of her meat - helps keep her weight down.

I am going to try cooking some before it finishes - maybe try stir frying some. I'm not a huge fan of kale as I find it rather coarse and tough, but I think the idea is to harvest leaves little and often, a bit like cut and come again lettuce. I will have to consult Mr Dowding.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 5th January 2018, 11:55 am

Thanks FB. Like all my brassica, I think it has not done very well this year. Maybe enough to try though.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th January 2018, 1:02 pm

I've used it in stir fries before - it has a lovely flavour. Sometimes you have to tear the leaves away from the stem if they're not young leaves as the stem can be tough.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 8th January 2018, 2:32 pm

Package arrived today, thank you Dandelion.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 8th January 2018, 4:33 pm

Excellent - hope there's something you might like to try. I put a few more flowers in this year, thinking about encouraging pollinators.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 18th January 2018, 11:51 am

Profuse apologies to all.  I am now ready to send on the seed swap package - who's next Dandelion?
I'm afraid I've been no good for anything, couldn't even summon the energy to go down to the shed for my box of seeds until yesterday.  I've still got the bug that I've had since the first week of December - the doctor thinks I  might have pneumonia - I sure wish it would go away.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 18th January 2018, 1:30 pm

Oh dear Ploshkin. This is turning out to be a bad winter for diseases. I'm feeling snotty and red eyed this morning, C-H Jnr is couching again. I thought we were on the mend. Hope yours improves soon.

We are a fair way off sowing seeds yet I think, so I woudn't worry too much about a little delay.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th January 2018, 6:57 pm

It's off to C-H next, Ploshkin: I'll PM you the address.

Lots of people at school were off this past week, some with Norovirus, but others still poorly with flu, chest infections and so on. We were averaging 15 people absent each day. These viruses are seeming to last and last

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top