A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by Dandelion Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

» January: welcome to a new Gardening year.
by Dandelion 28th January 2017, 9:53 pm

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 5th January 2017, 4:40 pm

» Reusing the plastic bowl the Christmas pudding comes in.
by FloBear 29th December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Winter Squashes
by FloBear 23rd December 2016, 5:11 pm

» Sloe Gin
by Chilli-head 16th December 2016, 5:00 pm

» Hardy enough for the garden in December ?
by Chilli-head 12th December 2016, 5:13 pm

Statistics
We have 627 registered users
The newest registered user is skindivers

Our users have posted a total of 44174 messages in 2298 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Make Do and Mend

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: Make Do and Mend

Post by boobiejuicemama on 18th July 2010, 1:08 pm

I have used a couple of unwanted tea towels to make a lovely pair of play pants for Ruby (they were not the most absorbent tea towels)

boobiejuicemama

Back to top Go down

Post by danksshady on 18th July 2010, 1:40 pm

I love darning,mending and reusing things - I'm currently helping DD aged 9 to make a baby toy for my other daughter who is expecting in October, we are making a stuffed cube from an old winnie the pooh quilt cover which was worn in places
danksshady

Back to top Go down

Post by boobiejuicemama on 24th July 2010, 7:33 am

post us some piccys when you are done, that sounds lovely Smile
boobiejuicemama

Back to top Go down

Post by danksshady on 24th July 2010, 8:37 am

I will - just looked at it and its actually humpty dumpty not winnie the pooh
shes only got a bit more to stitch then we need to stuff it
danksshady

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 26th July 2010, 5:32 pm

Fantastic pants BJM! Love the colours. They remind me of a scene in The Good Life where Barbara tells Margo that one leg of her trousers came from M&S and the other from BHS.

Mrs C

................................................................................................................................
My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 26th July 2010, 7:46 pm

If you have a small garden, old wooden draws make good planters, couple of holes in the bottom, lining of plastic bags or whatever. Easily movable & big enough for salady things.

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 on 27th July 2010, 6:20 am

Yeah! Those are super cute britches! And what a clever idea to make them from towels.....

We save all of our old jeans and make quilts from them....They are awesome, they are so durable outside in the summer and the sand and dirt and grass doesn't stick. They wash up great. They are really heavy, and in the winter, they go in the camper and my dad uses them when he goes hunting as they keep you really warm.
Lizbuff13

http://www.sparkleberrieplace.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th July 2010, 11:10 am

What a brilliant idea

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mark barker on 29th July 2010, 5:13 pm

My eldest daughter (9) is really into making things from old clothes. Last xmas nearly all the extended family had cushions made from old t-shirts as gifts.
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 29th July 2010, 6:18 pm

OH liberated a drawer from some rubbish today, is going to make another planter for me.
Just needs to put a couple of blocks on to keep it off the ground. Should last at least a couple of years & then be broken down for the bin.

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 9th October 2010, 9:48 am

Go to the local sweet shop & get some of the plastic boxes they use for sweets, they make great freezer storage boxes.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka on 9th October 2010, 10:48 am

This might be nothing new to all you awesome menders/recyclers/darners/fixers/keepers (I am loving this thread too) - I make legwarmers out of old jumpers' sleeves.
All my dishcloths and hand towels are made out of old cut up sheets/towels - and we have several boxes of rags - rags on their last leg being used for bicycle repair/maintenance.
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 9th October 2010, 1:15 pm

Hey, like the leg warmer idea, could possibly do it with sweat shirt sleeves & a bit of elastic or tape.

Old shirt sleeves make good protecters as well, just a quick hem at the top & some elastic. Especially good when doing dirty jobs or painting.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 30th October 2010, 5:45 pm

Plastic milk bottles make good scoops, strainers or funnels.

Broken crockery, stick to a cork tile & make a pretty pot stand, or get reall adventurous & make a wall mosaic.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by kramer on 9th December 2010, 12:51 pm

This is a great thread Smile

I use elastic bands dropped by the postie to keep cables like usb cables neatly tied-up. They take up less room and its easier to get the one you need when they are neatly stored.

I brought some ready made curtains in a clear out sale for only £3 they were a huge bargain and they measured 90''x90'' each. I used one curtain as a door curtain and made two curtains out of the other one. There was enough material left from the door curtain to make a draught excluder. I also never throw away old pillows. Instead I wash and store the inners to use as stuffing for other projects like the draught excluders.

For thristy plants in the garden I cut the bottoms off plastic drinks bottles and push the neck down into the soil. I then put a little gravel in the neck and fill the bottle with water. This drip feeds water all day long and worked perfectly for courgettes and cucumber plants last year. When the growing season is over I just recycle the bottle Smile
kramer

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 9th December 2010, 1:47 pm

That's brilliant with the pillow stuffing. How do you wash it? In the old pillow? Or someway else?

Also, talking of old drawers for planters, can "particle board" and like material be used for that? I worry that the chemicals used for commercial, cheap "wood based materials" (I hesitate to even call them board, much less lumber) will add some off chemicals to my plants, much less the compost after. Beyond that, chip board gets soggy and limp so easily too. Just how selective must you be?

As it is now, I use only natural wood without chemical treating in my campfire, such as for wienie/marshmallow roasting, coals for the dutch oven, or for getting coals up for end of year brush, as this ash will be used, in reason, to ammend the compost. Any treated wood gets burned in a seperate container type burning ring and, when cool, put into the rubbish. I figure the city landfill could use some lye for the decomposition cycle, even if there are bits of off glue still intact.

Oh, and back to the original intent of this thread, my first go at a serious mending without any input from Ma was when I was 12. Ma made sure her boys knew how to do the wash, fix a button, and do a bit of mending. A man doesn't HAVE to marry right out of the house, you know. That and, not a lot of girls know how to do these things anymore besides. Anyway, I was away at Summer Camp with the Boy Scouts. My uniform shirt was already 2^nth hand anyway, at least 15 years old. We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up, so most everything was handed down (lucky I was the oldest)! While I was at Camp, I tore the shoulder top seam from the collar nearly all the way to the sleeve. Well, I got out my mending kit, which Ma insisted I pack, and got to it. It wasn't beautiful, but it's held for 2 decades and a bit now.
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by kramer on 9th December 2010, 2:30 pm

mr_sfstk8d wrote:That's brilliant with the pillow stuffing. How do you wash it? In the old pillow? Or someway else?

I wash the whole pillow in the bath. Because I use pillow protectors they are never dirty so its just to freshen them up. Once they dry I unpick or cut the end off and just take what I need. I bulldog clip the pillow outer together to keep the dust out. I have a few of them now so I store them in the loft which also adds to the insulation up there Very Happy
kramer

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th December 2010, 8:14 pm

If you need to use new stuffing for something.....it is actually cheaper to buy a new pillow and use the stuffing from it than to buy a bag of new stuffing.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 20th February 2011, 4:16 pm

Margarine tubs make good growers for mustard & cress, enough for a several sandwiches for OH & I.

Also for soaking seeds prior to planting.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Make do and Mend.

Post by Worzel on 21st February 2011, 3:27 pm

mr_sfstk8d wrote:That's brilliant with the pillow stuffing. How do you wash it? In the old pillow? Or someway else?

Also, talking of old drawers for planters, can "particle board" and like material be used for that? I worry that the chemicals used for commercial, cheap "wood based materials" (I hesitate to even call them board, much less lumber) will add some off chemicals to my plants, much less the compost after. Beyond that, chip board gets soggy and limp so easily too. Just how selective must you be?

It is absolutely no problem lining the Draws with one or two Plastic Bags or Sheeting wich also helps the wood from water getting at it
WORZEL

Last edited by sparhawk on 23rd February 2011, 10:50 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : to put in quote to place reply in context...)
Worzel

Back to top Go down

default Mend old with old

Post by Daveswife on 25th May 2011, 2:59 pm

I read that one should always mend something with fabric of a similar age. Otherwise (and I know this to be true - see next para) the new bit is so strong that it tears another old bit.

Husband's comfy trousers are now more patch than trouser. I made patches from dressmaking leftovers and he has pictures of a cabbage, several cats, a cow, some garden tools and a rose on his comfy trousers. I zig-zagged some lightweight vilene to the very worn bits and that kept them going for another year or so but he area around the vilene has torn so I had to add more patches.

Oh yes, I headed this Mend Old With Old. So I've kept Dave's discarded underpants and use the best bits for mending the worn under-arms of T-shirts.

And before you ask, yes I did mend the underpants before they got discarded completely.
Daveswife

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 1st July 2011, 3:53 pm

Before you throw paper to be recycled, make sure you have used both sides for lists, notes etc.

Always save bits of string to reuse.

Wrapping paper can be ironed & reused, my Mum always did this. The papaer got smaller every year!!

Cards cut up as tags or made into new cards.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top