A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Gardening between the April showers
by FloBear Yesterday at 7:47 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by FloBear 20th April 2018, 5:12 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 12th April 2018, 11:51 am

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by FloBear 4th April 2018, 11:10 am

» Anyone braving the garden in March ?
by Chilli-head 1st April 2018, 10:21 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by FloBear 15th March 2018, 3:56 pm

» Waste collection consultation
by Ploshkin 4th March 2018, 9:20 am

» Hungry Birds
by Dandelion 3rd March 2018, 9:49 pm

» "Popular contents" newsletters
by Dandelion 1st March 2018, 10:45 pm

» It's now more difficult to dispose of plastic waste
by Hairyloon 27th February 2018, 1:58 pm

» What can *I* do ?
by Chilli-head 27th February 2018, 11:59 am

» New beginnings in the February garden.
by Chilli-head 26th February 2018, 10:34 am

» Chairs 4 & 5: The lath back / banister back
by Ploshkin 19th February 2018, 9:39 am

» Endangered crafts
by Ploshkin 19th February 2018, 9:36 am

» The gardener's yearbook
by Chilli-head 1st February 2018, 10:38 am

» Garden Organic
by Dandelion 26th January 2018, 7:24 pm

» New arrivals
by Dandelion 23rd January 2018, 2:48 pm

» A fresh start to 2018 in the January garden
by Dandelion 13th January 2018, 11:23 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 10th January 2018, 12:47 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by freebird 7th January 2018, 9:37 pm

Statistics
We have 633 registered users
The newest registered user is SoberWatersRetreat

Our users have posted a total of 45410 messages in 2351 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Gardening between the April showers

Go down

default Gardening between the April showers

Post by Chilli-head on 2nd April 2018, 11:59 am

April showers indeed. It is tipping down here, and I'm starting to get standing water on the lawn. I'm going to seek shelter in the greenhouse this afternoon. Glad I did the compost digging before this started.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Gardening between the April showers

Post by Dandelion on 2nd April 2018, 2:26 pm

It's very squelchy here too - I did a dramatic slide on the lawn in the muddy grass when I went down the graden to look for wood for the log burner. I really need to take the cold frames off the broad beans, but that will have to wait for a dry day

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 2nd April 2018, 9:34 pm

The rain stopped ! I potted up my tomatoes and chillies, and in the process realised that I'd forgotten I'd sown them into a seed compost, not a general purpose blend. So, low in nutrients. Probably why they had stopped growing then. Hopefully they will be happier in my homemade compost/vermiculite/hoof and horn blend.

I also sowed some lettuce in modules, and some watercress under cloches - I think it should be happy at the moment Rolling Eyes

I even got time to wash some plant pots and trays. Not because I need to use them, but so that I can put them away tidily and make some space in the shed !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 4th April 2018, 5:14 pm

AND you can feel virtuous (even though now we're told you don't really have to wash them.) I still wash mine if I can - it just feels nicer sowing seeds into a clean pot rather than a claggy one.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 5th April 2018, 10:09 am

These pots are mostly ones were given to me by my old allotment neighbour when he was giving up; so I have no idea what they have been used for, and how clean they are. I also washed out the rings I use for tomatoes, as I had a terrible caterpillar problem in the greenhouse last year which has made me more cautious. Not that the caterpillars themselves are likely to have overwintered though.

Its sunny here this morning Very Happy ... but I am in work Sad I might sneak out for a run later.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 8th April 2018, 6:18 pm

Potted on all my tomatoes, peppers and chillies now. Got all the automatic watering set up in the greenhouse - a revamp whereby all my autopots and my drip system are fed from a single header tank. Getting rid of the water reservoirs that come with the autopots has freed up some greenhouse space, so room for more tomatoes and chillies.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 9th April 2018, 2:04 pm

Sounds like a great system, freebird.
I'm waiting for my tomatoes to be big enough to go into the Autopots.
I've also run out of space on the staging and am trying to work out how to make something to go above or below it.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 9th April 2018, 9:07 pm

Mine aren't in the autopots yet either. I have capillary matting on the bench with drip nozzles wetting it, so all my newly potted on p,ants are on that at the moment.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 10th April 2018, 9:18 am

freebird wrote: so all my  newly potted on  p,ants are on that at the moment.

Don't you just love typos? Hehe
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 10th April 2018, 6:15 pm

I've bought tomatoes (first time for many years I haven't grown them from seed. Still no news of my op, so I'm getting on with life!) I'm not planning to put them in the Easy2Grow system for quite a few weeks - I just don't trust the weather now (can't imagine why!), and at least while they're in individual pots I can bring them into the house if the weather goes all silly again.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 19th April 2018, 10:07 pm

A bit of sun (40° in the polytunnel yesterday) made me realise how behind I am.
My tomato plants are looking great - I've had them on a heated mat which I've not done before.  I also try to remember to leave a jug of water in the greenhouse so that it warms up.  Yesterday, I potted up my peppers and sowed sweetcorn and sweet peas in root trainers (I love having some sweet peas in the tunnel)   My 2nd sowing of broad beans are germinating in there with a net hat to keep the mice off this time and I bought some dwarf pea plants for an early pea crop.  I need to start off some cucumbers, squashes and courgettes tomorrow.  I've done nothing at all outside, my potatoes are a bit overdue for planting.
One really exciting thing is about a dozen figs coming along.  There's a way to go and they may well drop off but I'm feeding and watering the plant and watching them in hope.  The biggest ones are about 10mm so far.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th April 2018, 10:34 pm

My aunt In Wales could grow figs in warm years. We used to have an annual family picnic in a country park in Berkshire (because it was central to those of my family who were in London and Wales) and I can remember her proudly producing figs one year. The fig tree was graon against a wall of her house, so not ina glasshouse or polytunnel.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th April 2018, 10:37 pm

Ihave six tomato plants in my greenhouse, in 3" pots. (Remember I said I was leaving them in small pots so I could bring them into the house if it got very cold again??) I watered them before I left for work this morning - by the time I got home they were all very frazzled and shrivelled looking. I think when the weather normally gets this hot, they're all planted out in much larger pots, so can withstand the heat better. Hopefully they will have recovered by tomorrow (or it's back to the garden centre!)

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion Yesterday at 11:33 am

The unseasonable hot weather has played havoc with my flowering bulbs. Tulips, fritillaries and hyacinths appeared at the beginning of the week, but are now all dead. Daffodils seem to have coped better.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear Yesterday at 7:47 pm

That's a very shortflowering period, Dandelion. Mine are doing fine, even the lily beetle is very little in evidence.

As for April showers we are having one right now - and a thunderstorm. Poor dog is a tremblng panting blur.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down