A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by FloBear Today at 11:19 am

» Insect hotel
by Ploshkin Today at 7:29 am

» What are you preserving today?
by FloBear Yesterday at 8:19 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head 26th June 2017, 8:08 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:23 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44353 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by Nick B on 2nd March 2010, 11:30 am

I've sorted out some cuttings off some carnations that my DW brought 2 weeks ago,
I've also potted on some tomatoes and planted some pepper seeds as well as sowing some broadbeans in the raised beds in the garden.
oh and some onions went in yesterday.

Nick B

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 4th March 2010, 10:46 pm

Managed to plant lots of seeds in heated proagators inside the
house tonight....had to keep one eye shut so I could
see without everything swirling around, and sit on a chair... but feel
MUCH better for having planted some stuff...

72 toms, 36 peppers in 6 pack cells, various herbs and salads in pots.

Put peas and beans into saok, to plant up in next few days in rootrainers or half pipe.

Put some leek seeds in and some Kale and PSB.

Probably shouldn't have, as I don't feel too chipper now, but OH it was SO good to plant some seeds!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th March 2010, 4:20 pm

Yay! Have successfully sprouted seeds following Spar's instructions. I was a bit doubtful, not about the instructions (!) but because the seeds I tried were some Marigold seeds I found in a drawer which should have been used up in 2006. Result!
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 5th March 2010, 7:56 pm

Dandelion wrote:Yay! Have successfully sprouted seeds following Spar's instructions.

Glad to have been of service Ma'am, although don't forget even if they hadn't sprouted it would have been a success as you wouldnt have been waiting for weeks to see if they have sprouted. I find there is more crop this way as you only plant the seed that has done the deed.

Plant them on quickly & be very gentle with the tweezers...

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by vwalker99999 on 7th March 2010, 4:41 am

Got the greenhouse cleaned up and ready for action... official seed starting day begins March 15th here. Until then, I'm making newspaper pots and getting things in order. Can't wait to see pretty little seedlings poking their heads out of the soil...

...and YES, I DO talk to my plants... I even coo at them... so there! grow

................................................................................................................................
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later. Mitch Hedberg
vwalker99999

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 7th March 2010, 8:19 am

Yes me too, works a treat sometimes. whistle2
polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 7th March 2010, 9:55 am

I sing to mine

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 7th March 2010, 10:09 am

LOTS of Broad beans ( 3 sorts) in tubes, some Colleen spuds in bags, some spinach, leaf beet, salads and kale seeds into trays and pots. And 4 more blueberry plants into pots.

Also washed lots more plant pots and 6 cell trays in hot, lavender scented soapy water, while listening to the birds singing and sitting at my potting bench outside, I got a bit damp but it was a lovely time!

Slight problem in that my delivery of Fertile Fibre seed growing medium hasn't arrived yet and I am down to the last couple of inches in the bottom of the bag....eeeek!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 7th March 2010, 3:41 pm

Compostwoman wrote:I sing to mine

I threatened an apple tree a year ago - it hadn't had so much as a flower in the seven years since we planted it, so I warned it that it would be dug up if this carried on (and I meant it!) Lo and behold, a couple of pounds of fruit in the autumn (but the tree had the last word because it wasn't the variety it was supposed to be!) Perhaps I should have sung to it....
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 7th March 2010, 4:12 pm

I told off a honeysuckle & threatened to uproot it, it ended up flowering continuously for about 18 months & was so huge I had to cut it back quite hard.
polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 7th March 2010, 4:33 pm

I threatened a hen the other day with the oven, she started laying that day......

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 7th March 2010, 6:37 pm

Can I pick your brains about modules for sowing/pricking out into? I've got a mottley collection of modules which have come with plants in from the market, and some which I've bought, but the plastic is quite brittle and not very long-lasting. Can anyone recommend modules which are better made, and last longer?
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 7th March 2010, 9:53 pm

I get 6 cell, half seed tray sized ( ie 2 per standard seed tray IYSWIM) from Radway bridge. he sells new ones for ( I think) 5 for £1.50 ish? and they last me ages, several years at least BUT I leave them to dry out when I have finished with them, dust out the old compost, wash them in hot soapy water, rinse them with clean water with a few drops of Lavender EO in, let them dry and then put them AWAY IN THE DARK.

That bit is important as it is UV from sunlight which embrittles them.

The ones I use are the ones you get plants in, and I reuse those in the same manner.

I do the same for plant pots and they last me years and years.

I find the smaller celled insets ( 15/24 etc per standard seed tray) tend to break up very quickly regardless of how they are treated, which is why I don't use them any more....

Hope this helps?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 9th March 2010, 8:15 pm

Thanks for the advice - it was the smaller celled inserts which I was having trouble with, as they don't really seem to last more than one use. If you're going to use plastic at all, then I don't see why it shouldn't last as long as possible.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 9th March 2010, 8:44 pm

I use old meatball trays which usually have 12 dips, use a needle to put a drainage hole in each but you can usually find clearish containers to go on the top which make quite effective unheated propagators...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe on 10th March 2010, 8:41 pm

Well we finished the rebuilt the greenhouse today after the storm Xynthia had distributed the panels up to 1/4 mile away and bent up the aluminium frame.

I really missed not having it and was getting very twitchy as I can't seed any more seeds until it was back in operation.

All the seedlings have survived that was in it in the storm as I moved them into the house but they will be evicted tomorrow once the propogator is warmed up.

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 11th March 2010, 10:29 am

It's that time of the year again - I've found the ususal two books; 'Clay and Glazes for the potter' and 'English medieval pottery' - together they're just the right size to raise my seed trays up to the bottom of the windowsill to get maximum light!
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 11th March 2010, 10:38 am

Zoe wrote:Well we finished the rebuilt the greenhouse today after the storm Xynthia had distributed the panels up to 1/4 mile away and bent up the aluminium frame.

I really missed not having it and was getting very twitchy as I can't seed any more seeds until it was back in operation.

All the seedlings have survived that was in it in the storm as I moved them into the house but they will be evicted tomorrow once the propogator is warmed up.

Glad to read you have it back and sorted!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe on 11th March 2010, 8:36 pm

After warming up the propagator and putting back in the tomatoes, aubergines and chilli seedlings...there's room for more. Did 10 Black Russian tomato pots...new for me...any one else tried them?
I have harbinger, gardeners delight, roma, marmande, ameteur, coer de boef (spelling without french character?). Different options for different types of summer (you never know here).

It was lovely in the greenhouse today - warm and out of the cold wind!

Looks like the lettuces in the bed have not survived the lack of greenhouse around them though...pitty could do with some more fresh stuff in the diet. They might survive. (Just remembered to look to see if the cress in the stream is growing enough to crop yet! Yum)

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 15th March 2010, 3:24 pm

Zoe I grow Black Russian every year...lovely tomato, full of juicy flavour and very good for dehydrating.

Watch out on the watering schedule as I have found it ( and other bigger toms) prone to blossom end rot..caused by inconsistant watering

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe on 17th March 2010, 5:31 pm

Mmmm sound good CW... hope we have a good year for tomatoes.

Greenhouse open fully and a bit too hot for comfort! Had to move the baby lettuces outside, brassicas are holding up. Water tomatoes etc twice.

Melons are breaking the surface which is good as its a new seed supplier. Decided to seed the celariac as it needs 16degC and the forecast is for that easily (outside the greenhouse Shocked )

The trouble is the greenhouse will hold off a 3 deg frost but there is not room in the propagator if it gets too cold at night.

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by vwalker99999 on 18th March 2010, 10:37 am

Well... the growing season is begun...

I've been planting, as you might have guessed from my other post. Peppers and cukes in my homemade newspaper pots. Today it's tomatoes, aubergines and pots of coriander/cilantro.

I'm making willow water to have at the ready when the lil buggers start poking their heads out of the soil. It's so wonderful for establishing good, healthy root systems.

I've also got this waiting for it's chance: MycoGrow™ For Vegetables which I got from Paul Stamets, the "6 ways fungi will save the world" guy. I think I'm going to use it a couple of days prior to transplant and just after...

Goodness, but I'm having fun...

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later. Mitch Hedberg
vwalker99999

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 18th March 2010, 11:23 am

Finally got some rocotos coming through. I was beginning to get worried that I'd have to survive a year without them Crying or Very sad

It's been a tricky spring so far here - so cold at night that the propagators have struggled to keep up to temperature, but hot enough at times in the day to risk scorching things !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 18th March 2010, 2:32 pm

Finally gotten into the greenhouse today to start the clean up and prep for this years propagation. Sooooo much tidying needed, but I have moved the prop bench and installed the new soil warming cable in the sand, discovered that I need more sand in the process, so will sort that out later, then I can get the tent over the sand bed and voila, I have a nice warm and humid space for seedlings to germinate in.

Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe on 20th March 2010, 1:49 pm

Rained very heavily this morning so used it to rearrange things in the greenhouse. The tomatoes are out on the bench to make room for the sunflowers, melons, early courgettes and baby water melons to get into the propagator. Now need to find away to get them all in the propagator at night.

The lettuces, red cabbage and stonehead cabbage have been moved to a protected area outside to start hardening off for their move into the vegi plot.

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 21st March 2010, 8:38 pm

Planted lots more salads of various sorts, checked how things were germinating, contemplated moving the tomato seedlings out of the house and into the cold frame inside the polytunnel....

Re potted an olive tree, a kiwi fruit and some blueberry plants....

Checked on the inside spuds...they have sprouted above the compost! so I covered them over with some more...

A busy day today!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top