A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Insect hotel
by Chilli-head Today at 11:30 am

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head Today at 11:23 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin Today at 10:06 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Dandelion 17th June 2017, 9:28 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:56 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44335 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

How to cut stone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default How to cut stone

Post by Adrian on 6th March 2010, 2:10 pm

The most recent in the Guardians "disappearing Acts" series. Stonemasonry, like greenwood working and Blacksmithing is something that has fascinated me for years. Its sad that we are losing this wonderful craft which adds so much texture and detail to architecture.

I understand that stone masonry will also be featured in the Mastercrafts series

Link here

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

default Re: How to cut stone

Post by stephen Critchley on 23rd May 2013, 1:14 pm

Although through lack of apprenticeships in the 90's the numbers of skilled banker masons fell away, we have made a come back. Many fine young masons now work in the heritage and construction sectors and there are still quite a few like myself who concerntrate on hand carved work for all sectors.
Things are looking much better now than 10 to 15 years ago.

Stephen
stephen Critchley

http://sjcritchley.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 1st June 2013, 1:22 pm

stephen Critchley wrote:Although through lack of apprenticeships in the 90's the numbers of skilled banker masons fell away, we have made a come back. Many fine young masons now work in the heritage and construction sectors and there are still quite a few like myself who concerntrate on hand carved work for all sectors.
Things are looking much better now than 10 to 15 years ago.

Stephen

Throughout my lifetime this has been back and forth with all of these special skills. A last minute recognition of things like that "oops, only three active thatchers left, no apprentices, so who's going to keep roofs on historic/,museum structures ten years from now. So then there's a crash program to find/fund apprentices and all is well till the crisis hits the next one of these crafts or twenty years later this one again.

A "mechanic" friend (machinist is a plant who maintains/makes replacement parts for the machines) had a lovely story about a company that was vacuum molding huge pieces (sides of buses, railroad cars, etc.). The molds hadn't been quite designed right as they deformed from air pressure when the vacuum came on. But the old head mechanic at the plant simply took a sledge to each new mold and prestresed them a bit so that they were right when in use. Did the company pay for an apprentice to learn how hard he hit them where? No, they just figured so what he's close to retirement, we'll just call him back to "consult" when the molds need to be replaced. But like many of these guys, dead six months after retirement. They could not figure out how he was fixing these molds.

................................................................................................................................
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen Critchley on 1st June 2013, 1:53 pm

This happened this morning. Someone came to me and said a well known company that makes fireplaces, British but with office in US was producing a surround for their client. It was an inch too big so they were told 12 weeks to sort it. (waiting for new one from China but didn't say that) Client has now come to me after canceling order, the changes to the original incorrect surround would have taken us about 15 minutes. They have a dozen office people but no one that could do this easy job. Good for me but crazy.
stephen Critchley

http://sjcritchley.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top