A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird Today at 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird Today at 7:50 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 11th November 2017, 10:48 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Dandelion 26th October 2017, 2:16 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44868 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

"Treehugger" is an offensive term.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: "Treehugger" is an offensive term.

Post by Adrian on 14th March 2010, 2:16 pm

Its a cartoon bunny with a shiny nose

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

sheesh you people, enough to drive a man to drink !!

Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14th March 2010, 2:53 pm

With a nose like that I think your bunny has been on something too!...but you love us really! smitten

ps you cow looks like a pig too! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick on 9th September 2010, 11:53 pm

I don't mind being called a tree-hugger. I love trees; I have a few of my own and I would like more. Why don't I call the opposition tree-phobes? Tree-hugger or tree-phobe, I know what I would rather be.
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 10th September 2010, 12:14 am

*I* am certainly proud to be a tree hugger!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 on 10th September 2010, 6:22 am

I would much rather hug a tree than a barrel of oil.......

................................................................................................................................
Please when voting with your dollars be mindful and reduce buying plastic as much as possible, for it is trashing our planet and always consider this: If not Locally Produced, then Organic, If not Organic, then Family Farm. If not Family Farm, then Local Business. If not Local Business, then Fair Trade.
Lizbuff13

http://www.sparkleberrieplace.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 11th September 2010, 2:32 pm

Quite common that a lable intended by one side as an insult is a badge of honor to the other side. Perhaps so common that this can be taken as a general rule and the few exception terms noted that are always considered insults.

The anit-environmentals consider "treehugger" an insult; the environmentals wear the label proudly.

................................................................................................................................
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on 11th September 2010, 5:23 pm

Mike wrote:Quite common that a lable intended by one side as an insult is a badge of honor to the other side. Perhaps so common that this can be taken as a general rule and the few exception terms noted that are always considered insults.
That is probably a very good generalisation, but I think you have all missed my point (actually, you haven't; the real point was to try and get some discussion going. Someone was complaining about a lack if I recall correctly).

See, in my dictionary, "Treehugger" is not defined as "person who enjoys hugging trees", it is more along the lines of "flippin' nut-job who thinks all trees are so sacred they should never be harmed".
Or words to that effect.

So most of you fine people, sitting around your nice wood fires on your nice wooden chairs do not qualify as treehuggers.
Not in my book anyway (Belligerence for beginners... Illustrated edition). Wink

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Did we get any answer to WTF any of it had to do with waking upright?
I don't suppose you did.
It is a trait that is exhibited by most humans that was arbitrarily chosen as one not worthy of comment: you would not see someone walking upright and comment on it.
"You upright walky person".
Likewise, hugging trees is not an unusual trait.. It is perfectly normal.

Perhaps noses would have been a better illustration.
"You with the nose" is not a term that would be applied except in the face of an extraordinary nose, and there it is hard to see how it would not be offensive.
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12th September 2010, 8:41 pm

Was your father a Roman....Big Nose!!! whistle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on 12th September 2010, 9:07 pm

Blessed are the cheesemakers indeed.
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 12th September 2010, 9:19 pm

Cheesemaker is an offensive term.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 on 12th September 2010, 9:29 pm

I resemble that remark!!

Please when voting with your dollars be mindful and reduce buying plastic as much as possible, for it is trashing our planet and always consider this: If not Locally Produced, then Organic, If not Organic, then Family Farm. If not Family Farm, then Local Business. If not Local Business, then Fair Trade.
Lizbuff13

http://www.sparkleberrieplace.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 12th September 2010, 9:43 pm

Lizbuff13 wrote:I resemble that remark!!

lol!

Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 12th September 2010, 10:10 pm

Hairyloon wrote: See, in my dictionary, "Treehugger" is not defined as "person who enjoys hugging trees", it is more along the lines of "flippin' nut-job who thinks all trees are so sacred they should never be harmed".
Or words to that effect.

Disagree (fairly strongly).

The point I was trying to make was that terms like these depend very much on who is using the term; on that "my dictionary" as you put it. We have lots of terms like this where the "dictionaries" are so radically different that it is impossible to consider these terms in a vacuum. Have to take into account who is using the term and directed toward whom.

In other words, if person X calls me a "treehugger" until I know a lot more about that person I can't tell if praising me or condemning me.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 12th September 2010, 11:14 pm

I hugged several trees today. ( and no, not with a chainsaw! with my arms... Laughing )

I felt good. I hope the trees enjoyed the experience, also...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by mark barker on 13th September 2010, 9:53 am

Mike wrote:
In other words, if person X calls me a "treehugger" until I know a lot more about that person I can't tell if praising me or condemning me.

Are you really that sensitive? I'm often called a hippy (normally by people that have a very small insight into my life). Does it bother me? No. The people whose opinions I value know me well enough to make a balanced judgment (and yes, some of them call me a hippy too!). Everyone else can think what they like, its not going to make one bit of difference to my life!

As an aside, I've never hugged a tree, but its on my list of things to do today! (if it hugs back you'll hear the screams!)

hippy1

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 13th September 2010, 11:10 am

Funny one, the 'hippy' tag. Living as I do, in a town full of hippies, I am always intrigued as to how some people take great offence at the term and will complain bitterly when they are described thus (even though they are stereotypical patchouli, beads and sandals hippies - think Neil from the Young Ones), whereas others cheerily describe themselves as hippies and take great delight, rather than umbrage, at the term (even if their hippiness is on the inside rather than broadcast for all to see.)

Also interesting how a term used as a pejorative by one group can be appropriated and turned around by its intended target. 'Punk' would be an example. Or more pointedly, terms like 'Queer' or 'Nigger', which are insults from the mouths of Fred Phelps and David Duke and their ilk, but reclaimed as self-affirmation by the LGBT community or Richard Pryor or Curtis Mayfield or whoever.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 13th September 2010, 1:47 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Also interesting how a term used as a pejorative by one group can be appropriated and turned around by its intended target. 'Punk' would be an example. Or more pointedly, terms like 'Queer' or 'Nigger', which are insults from the mouths of Fred Phelps and David Duke and their ilk, but reclaimed as self-affirmation by the LGBT community or Richard Pryor or Curtis Mayfield or whoever.

What I meant except it's not always a case of "turning around" the term (in some cases these terms were in use by the "in group" as a positive description of themselves before the "out group" began using the term as an insult.

"Hippy" would be a good example of that (where the term not changed in pronunciation). I can think of others like that and still others where because different languages involved you do sort of have an "appropriation" situation except that with the "in group" people now speaking the second language this is less clear (the term originated in their first language where it was positive. Contrast the Italian "guappo" becoming "wop" with the Yiddish "yid" remaining "yid").

As to being overly sensitive, no reason to jump there. We were discussing knowledge about the meaning of utterances. That's a different question than caring about it. Whether I cared how "person A meant it" would depend on a whole lot of other issues (the nature of my social interactions with person A).

Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 13th September 2010, 5:28 pm

Changing the subject a bit, I can remember when my oldest daughter really did hug a tree, and it was quite touching. We were living in Windsor when the great storm took place in 1987, and our oldest was four. The town suffered a lot of damage, and in a park near to our house a tree which our children used to play by had blown down. To a four year old the damage must have been quite traumatic because so much had been uprooted and broken. I can remember her patting and hugging the tree like saying goodbye to an old friend. I suppose this affects my reaction to being called a tree hugger - it doesn't bother me.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th September 2010, 7:34 pm

Good story Dandelion! hearts

I lean on trees. They seem to be the only living thing that is kind enough to let me.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 15th September 2010, 7:41 pm

Part of the teaching I did today involved getting people to play a game called "Meet a Tree" where, in pairs, one person is blindfolded and relies on another to guide them through a wood to a tree ( chosen by the guider) The blindfolded person then feels the tree all over, is taken away, spun round and round and then unblindfolded. They then have to find their tree again...in a wood of trees....

It IS a game, but also a powerful "trust" workshop AND it explores using other senses than just sight AND it allows people to really "see" how different every tree is, and to really "feel" the magic of each tree.

I love my work. smitten

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top