A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin Today at 2:26 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by Ploshkin 23rd May 2017, 10:59 pm

» The May garden - catch up time !
by FloBear 23rd May 2017, 4:36 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 20th May 2017, 6:55 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

» This year's challenge
by Ploshkin 15th March 2017, 3:23 pm

» The Secrets of Your Food - Chillies !
by Chilli-head 11th March 2017, 8:52 pm

» Big Dreams Small Spaces
by Ploshkin 7th March 2017, 9:57 am

» Chair #3: The smoker's bow
by freebird 7th March 2017, 8:44 am

» First February sowings
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:56 pm

» Seed swap anyone?
by Dandelion 28th February 2017, 9:49 pm

» Sweet Chilli Jelly
by Ploshkin 2nd February 2017, 9:39 am

Statistics
We have 630 registered users
The newest registered user is alexispau

Our users have posted a total of 44252 messages in 2301 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What have you done in the flower garden today?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default What have you done in the flower garden today?

Post by Compostwoman on 21st March 2010, 8:33 pm

Same idea as the other threads! tell us what you have been doing....

I raked out a load of thatch from the ground around
the pool...should have been doing it every year but we run out of time,
usually....but hopefully the primroses and wild daffs will get a bit of air around them this year

Cleared several more flower/shrub beds of dead stuff....and forked over
the soil

Planted up trays of flower seeds for cuting or drying later in the year.

Worked out where I was going to scatter various annula seeds in drifts in the various beds...Love in a mist, flax, marigolds, nasturtiums etc etc ..

Planted up some lavender cuttings and some rosemary cuttings.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

default Re: What have you done in the flower garden today?

Post by Guest on 21st March 2010, 10:16 pm

Looked at the flowerbeds....start clearing them on Tuesday. Still haven't finished rich composting around the roses yet and they are all sprouting like nuts.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 22nd March 2010, 7:45 am

Hmmm - I think step one for us is going to be creating some flower beds. Another job to be added to the end of Mr C's (rather long) to do list!

Mrs C

................................................................................................................................
My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 22nd March 2010, 10:35 am

Looked at the seed packets, visualised the flowers, then visualised them hanging out of the chickens' beaks. High time we got the 'chicken proof fence' out of its box in the shed.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 22nd March 2010, 3:38 pm

Just remember things like beetroot & carrot look good in a flower bed
Pol

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22nd March 2010, 7:00 pm

Dandelion wrote:Looked at the seed packets, visualised the flowers, then visualised them hanging out of the chickens' beaks. High time we got the 'chicken proof fence' out of its box in the shed.

Hmmm the chickens worked out that linseed was good to eat last year and it was wonderful to see them eyeing up the poppy heads, although they never got them. We have one definate flower eater out of 6 including rose petals (she is called Pepper!)

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 27th March 2010, 4:23 pm

Today I planted my sprouting sweet peas in handmade newspaper tubes. OH has

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th March 2010, 5:28 pm

I used to have a load of naturalised geraniums of all different sorts in my flower beds..I don't do annuals so all the beds have perennials in, and geraniums are my favourite...

well one hen likes them...and has taught the rest to like them as well.....grrrrrr

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 27th March 2010, 5:30 pm

Have just come in from garden, did battle with the mad rose that climbs along a bit of our fence & I think I actually won this year, trimmed loads of with very few scratches...

Managed to take about a foot in length from the hedge too & put in a couple of hawthorn plants so that the hedge becomes a little more wildlife friendly...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th March 2010, 9:48 pm

Went to a garden centre...does that count!??
This is the one time I venture in as you can get the small starting out pots at a reasonable price. Managed to keep to 10...but then saw two clematus that I realy wanted...oh dear budget blown!

Looking forward to planting them...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th March 2010, 10:29 pm

I went the garden centre too - something I noticed was that they are selling compressed peat pots for starting plants off in without the word 'peat' on them. Very clever, and quite deceptive - this seems typical of the world of spin we live in. (It's probably OK because the packaging didn't claim that they were peat free - it just didn't give any information at all about what they were made of.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th March 2010, 10:50 pm

which garden centre did you go to Dandelion?

I planted some flowers for drying...helichrism, statice, stuff like that today..

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 28th March 2010, 8:11 am

I've been battling with a hooooge pampas grass. Ideally I'd like to get rid of it but it's so big. I've been raking out all the dead stuff and will get the strimmer to it. Someone I used to know used to stuff the middle with newspaper and set it alight :affraid: but this is a bit too close to the fence and house, so I won't be doing that.

Any ideas anyone???
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 28th March 2010, 5:55 pm

CW - I went to St Peter's in Worcester which is a good afternoon out (the cakes in the cafe are exceptionally squidgy!). The peat pots were Jiffy ones, so presumably sold everywhere - when I was a young stripling and worked in a Gloucestershire garden centre, they were labelled 'peat pots', but this seems to have been conventiently omitted now!
Have cleared a bit of the chicken devastation - i'm thinking flag irises in beautiful plums purples and browns, with more spring bulbs planted around them in the autumn.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th March 2010, 9:02 pm

I know a freecycler who has yellow flag iris going spare, if you are willing to don a pair of wellies...just up by me...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 28th March 2010, 9:13 pm

That's really kind - I've got yellow by the pond though, so I'll put it on my shopping list when the man in the market is there. Have to get the chicken-proof fence up first though!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th March 2010, 12:55 pm

Afterthought - I think I meant bearded irises - the really big ones. Embarassed

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th March 2010, 1:03 pm

I think I must have not "sent" this post this morning..oh dear..

Well I was wondering if anyone had tried training their chickens not to demolish their beds? We have loads of beds and the chickens have learnt by me training them....

Last edited by Zoe on 29th March 2010, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th March 2010, 1:04 pm

I had a lovely afternoon yesterday pulling up bluebells, which dug up really easily because the soil was so wet, and then I sat under our tree on a tree stump, with a big lump of wood to crush the bluebell bulbs before I composted them. (Not native bluebells I hasten to add!)

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th March 2010, 1:15 pm

Zoe wrote:I think I must have not "sent" this post this morning..oh dear..

Well I was wondering if anyone had tried training their chickens not to demolish their beds? We have loads of beds and the chickens have learnt by me training them....

How did you train them? I would be very interested!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 29th March 2010, 2:45 pm

Oh Dandelion I nearly got really upset then. But as long as they were the foreign typr of interlopers I will let you off. A bluebell wood is one of my favourite places, & I have blue bells all over my little garden.
Pol

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th March 2010, 7:20 pm

At last moved the hollihocks and lupins that I grew from seed last year into the "English Country Garden" bed....now have more space for melons and tomatoes in the veg plot!

Dandelion...I'll do a thread under the Coop called "training your chickens to be garden friendly" or something, as it won't fit here when everyone starts commenting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th March 2010, 7:52 pm

polgara wrote:Oh Dandelion I nearly got really upset then. But as long as they were the foreign typr of interlopers I will let you off. A bluebell wood is one of my favourite places, & I have blue bells all over my little garden.
Pol
Don't worry, Pol - English Bluebells would have been safe with me. The spanish ones which I'm eliminating were one of the less welcome things we inherited when we bought the house. Another thing was four inch screws through Edwardian sash windows to stop them opening as a 'security measure', but that's another thing.... Rolling Eyes

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 28th April 2010, 1:40 pm

Just noticed the aquilega have buds & the nasturtions are on the way up, lots of muscari, tulips, anemones and the bluebells have loads of flower spikes,

Pansys that were in the winter baskets & froze solid are looking really wonderful now.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 28th April 2010, 5:53 pm

Yes, I've noticed that the pansies I planted in pots for over-wintering have come back with a vengeance, and are flowering their little hearts out. All kinds of purples and maroons, really heart lifting.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top