A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Two minute beach clean
by FloBear Today at 10:10 am

» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin 13th December 2017, 1:42 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

» Armchair gardening in December
by freebird 4th December 2017, 11:11 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Ploshkin 3rd December 2017, 3:46 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is dreamcb77

Our users have posted a total of 44943 messages in 2335 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What are you harvesting today?

Page 4 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head on 5th August 2010, 10:34 am

Compostwoman wrote:Chill Head how have you grown Apricots? Do you have a S facing brick wall or some such?

When we moved in the bottom of the garden was a bit of a mess. The apricot was part of the grand plan, so I built the wall with it in mind, and left a hole for a bed in the patio of light coloured paving for it. It is quite a sun trap, which the apricot shares with my logpile. However, I made a major error of scale in my plan, the wall being 3' or so high and the apricot 10-12' ! I've since put a 3' trelllis on top. I'm thinking I might get a vine to use some more of the trellis; I qute fancy a go at making actual grape wine

The tree (variety Moorpark) is very suceptible to die-back, and I have to lop off unhealthy bits each year. I understand that they only really can be regarded as short lived trees in our climate. The other drawback is that the squirrels enjoy the kernel of the stone, and will shred the apricot flesh all over the place to get at it !

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 5th August 2010, 10:39 am

Thats really interesting as we were discussing Apricots on another thread.
Thanks for the useful info CH

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 22nd August 2010, 6:05 pm

Have just picked over 50 lb of Beth pears.

Obviously not yet quite ripe but ready to pick ( came off easily with stalk intact when raised up horizontal) and would have been knocked off by any wind/heavy rain ( we are forcast such tonight!) .

About as many left which are not ready to pick, yet. Hope they can stand the gales/rain etc!

For those who don't know, pears are best ripened off the tree, they taste much better and ripen all over if you do so.

Also 17 lb of Blue Lake beans. Will be growing these again, very tasty and very prolific!
Nearly finished now, which is good timing as the Climbing Canadian (HSL) beans have just started to crop. They will go on until the frost hit us.

Last edited by Compostwoman on 22nd August 2010, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 22nd August 2010, 8:55 pm

Compostwoman wrote:
Also 8 KG of Blue Lake beans. Will be growing these again, very tasty and very prolific!

Ahh. I've seen a few debates over which beans are best, which often come down to Blue Lake vs Cobra. I usually grow Cobra - this year I've grown Cherokee trail of tears, which seem to have decided that it is autumn already !. Perhaps I should be trying Blue Lake.

Yesterday I harvested all of the blackcurrants on my "Ebony" bushes, which had finally turned more or less black inside. I made them all into a batch of Blackcurrant sorbet. It is very intense, and probably good enough to have spared the bushes from being grubbed up !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 22nd August 2010, 10:54 pm

The Blue lake are lovely, CH, very tender and tasty. Also freeze well.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 on 23rd August 2010, 2:54 am

We always choose Blue Lake Pole Beans. They are doing well this year for us as well. We have started to can them for winter.

Lizbuff13

http://www.sparkleberrieplace.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 23rd August 2010, 3:16 pm

My white flowered runners won hands down this year (White Lady), although to be honest none of the runner beans did brilliantly. (They were heavily infested with blackfly - the sparrows were only trying to help, honest, but they seemed to have pecked the flowers off with the bugs!) Anyway, the blackfly have given in and the beans are flowering and fruiting properly now, mostly the White Lady. (The red flowered beans were Best of All, but that was obviously ironic!)
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28th August 2010, 3:03 pm

The fig glut ended with 15 bottles preserved, loads of jam (thanks to Zoe) and those that escaped that fate were rounded up and eaten whole!!!

Things have now moved on to plumbs. Golden plumbs secured as above with figs. Schwetzgen plumbs about to made into stupid amounts of pies for the freezer. Eleven liters of grape juice pressed and frozen for the winter, more to come.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie on 3rd September 2010, 1:35 pm

More runners, and dwarf beans, um.. *thinks* cucs, toms, courgettes Rolling Eyes , two fat marrows for wine, (there's a shocker Laughing ), carrots, tatties and back ache.. Wink

................................................................................................................................

http://www.lilypads.biz/
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th September 2010, 8:35 am

Thursday, sowed overwintering onions, Ishikura and another Japanese one, did them last year, very good. Also some more perpetual spinach, winter letuce, mizuna and Chinese mustard.

Harvesting toms, cue, peppers, courgette, beans, last of peas,kale, lettuce, beetroot, carrot, swede, turnip, parsnip, apple, damsons. It all tastes fab :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th September 2010, 8:38 am

Oh and my late sowing of peas is coming on fine, as are the spring cabbage seedlings and late beetroot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th September 2010, 5:49 pm

Harvesting melons, pears, grapes and our first apples. Sunflower heads of over 1.8kg too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 4th September 2010, 6:03 pm

Pears, beans of various sorts, apples, plums, carrots, onions, shallots, courgettes, peppers, toms, salads, spinach, spuds.

Some getting to near the end now though.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 on 5th September 2010, 6:06 am

Sweet corn that is divine....5 different varieties of summer squash, rhubarb, jalapenos and other assorted peppers, cucumbers, lemon cucumbers, and green beans....oh the green beans.....

................................................................................................................................
Please when voting with your dollars be mindful and reduce buying plastic as much as possible, for it is trashing our planet and always consider this: If not Locally Produced, then Organic, If not Organic, then Family Farm. If not Family Farm, then Local Business. If not Local Business, then Fair Trade.
Lizbuff13

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 10th September 2010, 8:29 pm

All the main veg plot spuds, last of the Beth pears, peppers, the house hops, first of the Bramley apples.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11th September 2010, 5:31 pm

We now not keeping up with all the fruit coming in. Bottling at the moment peaches, plums and one bottle of melon (experiment) but the rest of the plums and grapes and then apples are screaming at us....pressure is on!

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 11th September 2010, 6:38 pm

I am looking at the apples and thinking about picking them tomorrow...and Monday..and Tuesday...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 on 13th September 2010, 4:14 pm

Saturday: 18# of Green Beans......probably 2 more pickings on the vines before the end of the season.

Tomatoes are starting to ripen, the first small wheelbarrow was picked on Sunday.

Did a trial pickling of the jalapenos and I added some Cilantro/Corriander seed pods and it gave a delicious infusion of cilantro flavor to the jalapeno. The brine was a beautiful pink color also which was a nice contrast to the dark peppers. I think I will make a few more jars of those.

I also pickled some lemon cucumbers as a trial. I cut them like lemon wedges and they were very pretty. They tasted okay, the jury is still out on if I will do any more of those.

The sweet corn has been on the menu every night, which has drastically increased my butter consumption and is challenging my diet plan!

The rhubarb is in dire need of harvesting, but I haven't had time, in fact, not sure how I am going to fit in canning the green beans.

The bell peppers are going to be fabulous this year. Still abundant with Zucchini's, the spaghetti squash has gone completely mad as I counted over 50 out there and the winter squash.....we will not be able to eat them all before spring.

Please when voting with your dollars be mindful and reduce buying plastic as much as possible, for it is trashing our planet and always consider this: If not Locally Produced, then Organic, If not Organic, then Family Farm. If not Family Farm, then Local Business. If not Local Business, then Fair Trade.
Lizbuff13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13th September 2010, 4:56 pm

Damsons !!! Damsons and yet more damsons :-).

I don't make wine so it's lots of vodka - last year's is just maturing nicely and coming to Exmoor for the workshop ... shamans are spiritual folk *grin*.

And more jam ... but saving some for pies. We had a crumble last night, Yummmmmmmmmmm !!! Shall do some for the sutdents, work 'em so hard I gotta feed 'em right chef2

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 13th September 2010, 9:27 pm

Elen Sentier wrote:Damsons !!! Damsons and yet more damsons :-).

I don't make wine so it's lots of vodka - last year's is just maturing nicely and coming to Exmoor for the workshop ... shamans are spiritual folk *grin*.

lol!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th September 2010, 6:53 pm

We are wading through the Zwetschgen plums. Two large batches of jam, pies in the freezer and plum and apple chutney (first time I've made this). Looks like it will be wine and pehaps more jam if I can find some pots...getting desperately short of them.

The late seeding of red cabbage are also good eating now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 15th September 2010, 7:29 pm

I have enough pots for onle last batch of chutney a nd one last batch of jam...

Have made more than ever before...and could have made so much more...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17th September 2010, 9:35 pm

We just hauled in and pressed the next 15.3kg of grapes from the vine outside the house. The 'brew'is now sitting waiting to have yeast added tomorrow. The wine will follow in due course!

Even more grapes still to come in (if the wasps don't get them first!)

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 27th September 2010, 7:24 am

Yesterday I picked enough runner beans to fill 2 carrier bags, a pound of tomatoes, 2 very large (but not quite marrow-sized) courgettes, and 5 pattypan squashes
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th September 2010, 6:02 pm

Apples. Apples. More Apples.

Courgettes, tomatos, peppers, spuds, beans, lots of pumpkins.

and Apples.

Did I mention Apples?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 27th September 2010, 7:55 pm

I've only two leeks left from the ones I grew this year, I was really impressed with their progress as I NEVER seem to get leeks to grow.

Chard, as ever. And preparing the bed for November planting of broad beans and early peas.
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top