A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by FloBear Today at 6:06 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44873 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Seed Banks and reliable suppliers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Seed Banks and reliable suppliers

Post by Adrian on 16th April 2010, 2:33 pm

The ones I use on a regular basis

I have a good germination rate and very few problems with these guys

Chiltern Seeds
So very good that my wish list grows every time I visit the site... Much to the chagrin of the longsufferingspouse

J L Hudson Seed bank
Possibly the best seedbank in the world - dedicated to disseminating species and saving rare and endangered plants and at astonishingly low prices - again a seed supplier that has engendered a very long wish list..

Annapolis Seeds
Young Owen is a friend of mine, a fine example of youth dedicated to good food and good production - highly recommended..

................................................................................................................................
Paradise Papercraft
Etsy shop
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

default Re: Seed Banks and reliable suppliers

Post by Zoe on 17th April 2010, 6:35 pm

KIngs Seeds

This is the seed growers I use for a lot of my vegetable seeds as they are very good germination, good varieties and CHEAP packets but with a good number of seeds.

The company includes Suffolk Herbs

Baumaux

This is a French company that has a great on line catalogue. It has a huge variety of seed and some that may be worth a try. It is more expensive then some but the germination rate is very good.

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka on 5th May 2010, 4:26 pm

Thank you for the seed company links (especially Kings seeds, Zoe, but also Chiltern from Badger).
Zoe, from now on I won't even try to buy seeds from French companies, as they are so incredibly expensive (except if you buy them from LIDL at 29p a packet LOL). Yesterday I bought 2 packs of green beans here from an ordinary garden centre, 6.50 euros per packet!!! I am not sure that they are so much better (Vilmorin).
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th May 2010, 4:43 pm

We can buy seeds from Lidl at a ridiculous price in the UK - maybe I'll try some next year and compare them with pricier seeds. Less choice of varieties, but they look good value.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 5th May 2010, 6:30 pm

I always buy from the Real Seed Company.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 5th May 2010, 7:29 pm

Hmm that's odd. i was sure I posted more.

Real Seed co are here:

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

Fab selection, loads of heirloom and rare seeds. All real open pollinated - they actively encourage and provide info on how to harvest your own seeds to grow on with. No nasty F1 or GM tainted nonsense.

And they are very nice, committed people.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 7th May 2010, 12:26 am

I buy my seeds from the Organic gardening Catalogue.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 28th May 2010, 10:23 pm

Can I add in a couple of plugs for smaller suppliers I've had luck with :

Nickys nursery

and of course ...

The Chilli Pepper Company

Though I do quite like the Organic garden catalogue too.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 28th May 2010, 10:38 pm

I have used Premier Seeds Direct on fleabay a fair bit in the past...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th May 2010, 10:54 pm

I just took delivery of a load of plant plugs from T and M, as a freebie from a magazine sub ( which I had forgotten all about!)

Was rather impressed by the quality...not many plants of each variety, but good sized and good looking...

I have kept a few back but donated and planted most of them at school with Eco club yesterday, as we started very late this year ( due to Easter being early and the horrible weather just before Easter.....and my being so busy but as I AM a volunteer I refuse to feel guilty..well I try not to, any way! )

I had grown a load of plants as well....but some of these plugs were interesting so we put them in too......

I have kept about half and the rest are planted in the school veg beds now...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe on 5th June 2010, 6:20 pm

For those in France that find Vilmorin (sorry missed typed last time I wrote that one) expensive look out for Francegraines. They do the basics. I have tried some "not crucial" seeds (ie flowers!) and they have germinated very well and are true to the variety. They are cheap..possibly due to simple packaging and less seeds..

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 21st October 2011, 7:49 pm

Have received catalogues from the companies I usually buy from (Suttons etc) - what a disappointment. They all seem to be going for 'novelty' at the xpense of choice. I usually enjoy looking through the catalogues and choosing things to grow, but i have felt very frustrated this autumn by not being to find what I wanted. However, online I have found a firm called Nicky's Nursery. I have been able to find the varieties I wanted (Yellow Brandywine tomatoes for instance), and they also do small packets of seeds for people with small gardens which is a good idea. When the order arrived the seeds were really 'no frills' - information on printed labels, and no photos on the packets, but they arrived three days after I ordered them and the whole set up seems efficient. Now all they have to do is grow when I plant them next year!

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 21st October 2011, 8:28 pm

Sounds good Dandelion.

We have a small garden so they may be good for us
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by RuthG on 21st October 2011, 8:44 pm

Just went to look for Lobjoits Green cos lettuce and it seems they only supply it in pkts with an average of 1000 seeds. Now I do like Lobjoits green, but I dont think I could eat 1000 of them in one season!! Shocked
RuthG

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 12th December 2011, 10:34 am

Can I sneak in a quick plug for Heirloom Tomatoes.
My dad found them at Harrogate show a few years ago, and they have been
really helpful and friendly.  Not to mention having a great range of
obscure tomatoes, and a rather fun website.

Edited to add: Now sadly defunct Sad

Last edited by Chilli-head on 9th February 2017, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Luath on 26th January 2012, 2:33 pm

RuthG wrote:Just went to look for Lobjoits Green cos lettuce and it seems they only supply it in pkts with an average of 1000 seeds. Now I do like Lobjoits green, but I dont think I could eat 1000 of them in one season!! Shocked

Lettuce seeds will keep well for 3 -4 years, so no, you wouldn't have to eat them all at once Laughing

unboughtdelicacies
figheade knitting blog
knitten
Luath

http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 26th January 2012, 5:22 pm

Talking of seeds Luath, do you want to be included in the seed swap?

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 26th January 2012, 9:30 pm

Luath wrote:

Lettuce seeds will keep well for 3 -4 years, so no, you wouldn't have to eat them all at once Laughing

Unpelleted.

Those of us who use pelleted seed for lettuce are sacrificing keeping time for the easier planting (no difficult thinning) and extended temperature range at which we can plant. That's a problem over here where summer temps can get too high for lettuce to germinate. They will eventually gerninate but when is the question and if you are trying to start a new batch every two weeks you don't want major gaps.

Pelleted keeps maybe two years. Even then noticable falloff the second year but generally have more than enough of each variety (smallest lots pelleted 250 and we don't want more than a dozen or so of each sort every two weeks).

I suppose if just pelleted for handling (and not also with stuff to induce germination even if the temperature is too high) might last more normally.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Luath on 27th January 2012, 11:51 am

I never use/have used any pelleted seed, so that never occurred to me................ thanks

unboughtdelicacies
figheade knitting blog
knitten
Luath

http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 16th December 2014, 5:23 pm

The benefit of sorting out old threads is you find the odd one that deserves to re-surface ... BUMP !  Very Happy

I have just received my first two lots of seed for next year, from The Real Seed catalogue and Nicky's Nursery.  Both seem to have a more interesting list than the big companies. I am so looking forward to their chilli Ecuadorian Devils Breath. How can it not be good with a name like that ?

A quick plug for Seeds of Italy if I may too.  I don't think I'll need to order from them this year though, because their seed packs are so generous many will do for a couple of years or more, for the longer lived seeds.

Anyone know the current situation with Association Kokopelli ?  Can't see anywhere to buy seeds, only a book.  Have EU rules finally done for them ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 26th October 2017, 10:28 am

Sparhawk wrote:I have used Premier Seeds Direct on fleabay a fair bit in the past...

I know this is an old post in an old thread, but I just came across the website of Premier Seeds Direct:

http://www.premierseedsdirect.com/

I thought they deserved a mention here as they do have an organic seed range, and a very interesting looking collection of tomatoes.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 26th October 2017, 2:16 pm

I've just had a look - anamazing number of tomatoes! I've sent my order off already sadly Rolling Eyes

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

I placed an order with Premier Seeds Direct the other day. About £20 for 20 varieties, so pretty well priced. Delivery was a couple of days, so very good.

The seeds arrived in just labelled foil sachets or little ziplock bag, so I guess they are just repackaging bulk bought seed. But then again, that's what most of them do.

Some interesting tomatoes; I bought 8 varieties (some for my dad). I'll be particularly interested in how the "blue" varieties turn out.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top