A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Two minute beach clean
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin 13th December 2017, 1:42 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

» Armchair gardening in December
by freebird 4th December 2017, 11:11 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Ploshkin 3rd December 2017, 3:46 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is dreamcb77

Our users have posted a total of 44938 messages in 2335 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Catsssss!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Catsssss!

Post by Sparhawk on 13th May 2010, 11:37 am

Well I'm sure most gardeners will agree that although a lot of people like cats they can become a pita when it comes to gardening. I have a well publicised problem that my next door neighbour has nine of the little darlings,which I think is a little excessive but there. I have been battling the little blighters for 10 years, & before we moved there was a similar problem in our old house.

Now I have tried a lot of the usual suggestions & even invented a few of my own to no avail. Whilst out shopping yesterday looking in a local shop that was closing down I came across a thing called Pest Patrol which was reduced from £50 to £12.50 so after consulting with Lady S we decided to invest in one.

Well, I have just spent the morning setting it up & I think it is absolutely brilliant, it sends 10m jets of water sprayed in a 5 second burst in a 90 degree arc, all on a battery powered motion sensor, I am absolutely soaked, I have set it up so that when the cats set it off the spray will go over the veg plot so as to make use of the water too, but also it sprays right along the nextdoors washing line ...

Its too early to say if it will have the desired effect but I can see no reason why it shouldn't, we are laughing at the thought of what will happen when it is set off, I just thought I would put it out there so that if anyone comes across them it might be worth giving one a try...

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
                 The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
    leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

default Re: Catsssss!

Post by polgara on 13th May 2010, 2:19 pm

A new game on Bar-b-cue night ?

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka on 13th May 2010, 6:25 pm

Sparhawk, I hope you find a solution - I know how obsessed one can get when other people's cats decimate your environment!
I remember while I was living in London, we had a tiny garden, my then OH was apoplectic about the way it was "visited" systematically by the tomcats in the neighbourhood. First we had the water pistol, then we had the catapult, and finally, he reached the point of the "final solution": he took a wire coat-hanger, twisted it a bit and somehow connected it to 2 live electric cables (!!! sorry I am no electrician, and don't remember the correct terms). Anyway, the tomcat came and as he began to do his usual business, there was a bit of a bang, it had tripped the electrics and blown the fuses!!! I was pretty relieved, and so was OK I believe, as he never seriously intended to electrocute the cat, just to scare it - sadly, it didn't work, but this is just to show what lengths one can go to when cat-poo makes your life a complete misery.
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 13th May 2010, 6:32 pm

The problem is with a next door person with about 9 cats in a small terrace house & the owner swearing it is not hers, you work for a living & precious time is spent trying to save a bit of money it can get really upsetting when you come down morning after morning & find p** all over the veg beds & the lawn & seedlings dug up. People wonder why we Hate cats

fire

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka on 13th May 2010, 6:38 pm

You must have tried putting netting everywhere? I have to do that even though it is only my one, own cat who thinks that vegetable patches are really her toilet area. The netting does work for me.

It's a horrible position to be in for you, very understandable that you get to hate cats - even though it is really the owner who is to be blamed.
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 13th May 2010, 6:39 pm

Nine does seem excessive (although one would seem excessive if it was doing damage). There was a cat owned by a couple over the road which we nicknamed PooCat, because that is exactly what it did on our front garden. It was a lovely animal, and we tolerated its horrible habits because it was so friendly. However, since it left the neighbourhood, it's wonderful to be able to plant what I like without the addition of holly leaves, prickly branches and cat pepper! We have also lived next door to a family with over 14 cats, but that's another story....

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 13th May 2010, 9:46 pm

Well I came home from work at about 8pm to be told that Lady S went out to take the washing in after turning it off, after bringing in the first lot The Young Squire snuk out, turned it back on & waited at a safe distance, with the predictable result...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."

leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 13th May 2010, 10:31 pm

Sparhawk the Young Squire will get shot, but I wish I had been there.

:biglaugh:

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 13th May 2010, 10:57 pm

it is odd but with 4 cats here until recently, we ddn't have the poo problem, just the bloody silly beasts sleeping on seedlings under fleece tunnels..

Maybe because ours have no other really close cats to compete with? :suspect:

anyway...my sympathies, we had a similar issue with the OTHER cats around us when we lived in the suburbs of Worcester...ours didn;t do anything too dreadful ( apart from squish seedlings...!) but all the other cats wanted to use our seed beds as toilets..... Rolling Eyes

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 14th May 2010, 11:23 pm

Could be good for foxes too...

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 15th May 2010, 11:13 am

We have a poo problem with cats too. I've always wondered whether it transmits any toxins to the veggies I am going to eat?

Because of the garden works this summer, that bed is currently holding a collections of pots - some formal pots, others things waiting to be planted. We have decided to plant everything in pots this summer and leave ti there. Partly out of necessity, partly because it looks nice, and partly to deter cats!

But I think Sparhawk's solution sounds brilliant fun!
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 15th May 2010, 1:03 pm

Jaded Green wrote:We have a poo problem with cats too. I've always wondered whether it transmits any toxins to the veggies I am going to eat?

Well yes, not "toxins" but possible disease organisms so wash your root veggies well. Only this isn't a "cat" problem, just that the cat poo is large enough for you to see. The biomass of small prey animals is always far larger than that of the predators that feed upon them. The poo of all those mice, voles, etc. might be too small for you to notice but its total mass is many times that of what the cats lare leaving. And no less likely to transmit diseases.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 15th May 2010, 1:39 pm

Thanks Mike
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 15th May 2010, 3:17 pm

I've just been filling up large pots to grow tomatoes in, mixing some New Horizons, some home-made compost, and some loam from the bottom of the garden (from when we enlarged the vegetable plot - yet again - and piled the turf up to rot down). Chilli Head has a compost recipe he's using for tomatoes and peppers - mine has a variation in that I realised that the lump of soil I had picked out to rub between my (bare) fingers wasn't actually soil.....

Hopefully I have removed all that was there, and will cover the loam with some netting to keep the cats away!

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 15th May 2010, 3:49 pm

Euuwwwwww :face:

I find chicken poo lumps in mine...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 16th May 2010, 3:47 pm

I was looking at my "pot bed" yesterday afternoon and realised that the cats have,managed to find space in between the pots!

I was then in the front garden where we have had a problem with cats for many, many years and decided that I would top of the soil under our conifers with slate pieces. Telling my mother later I was thinking, I suppose it will work, when she said - "well, I wouldn't be sure that it would deter them"! I think I'll give it a try.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 16th May 2010, 4:20 pm

Well. my garden is nearly all pots for just the same reason , however, it didn`t work & I had cat p** in the pots. Now I have all my posts covered with old hanging baskets, the planters are covered in the blue plastic trays from the green grocers or rose prunings with really long prickles on them. They do still sometimes go on the paving slabs though.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagpuss on 25th May 2010, 1:33 pm

We have 3 cats and although I love them dearly, they're a total nuisance when it comes to the garden. The only thing that actually works for me is to gather loads of twigs any time we're on a forest walk and literally stick them everywhere in my beds and even in the larger containers. I also use this method to protect newly planted annual flowers, etc. I kind of make a twig canopy right over the plant which keeps it safe until it's big enough to spread out. It's really patches of bare soil that they love, so the less of it the better.
Bagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post by GB on 25th June 2010, 1:31 am

I dont know if its because my cats are use to living on sand but if I cover my planting beds with three or four inches of composted manure they wont go onto them. It sticks to their feets and they dont likes it!

Until I discovered that I was an inch from throttling the bloody eeeegits. In a yard made of pure sand, why they decided my veg plot was THE place to go

Laugh and the world laughs with you, laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they'll leave you alone!

The Gods answer all our prayers. Unfortunately, sometimes, the answer is no!

"When in doubt, choose to live!"
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 25th June 2010, 8:36 am

My next door neighbour has now told me that she has come up with the ultimate solution, she is moving, now I'm not celebrating yet as she has warned us of this before, but I think this time she is as she has found herself, & her 9 catsssss somewhere else to live so it could be happening....

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 29th June 2010, 2:52 am

Still not celebrating yet, but, everything is signed apparently & they are going on 14th July, & as we have been such good neighbours we have got first dibs on everything she isn't taking, which could be a fair bit as where they are going is fully furnished...

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 29th June 2010, 10:01 am

Just as long as they don't leave you the cats
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th June 2010, 11:48 am

Well I suppose you could always start a business making real fur slippers....

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 29th June 2010, 8:28 pm

Oh dear, had a call this evening, to let me know the plans have changed... They are now going on the 8th July ...

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 29th June 2010, 10:41 pm

Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next