A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 11th November 2017, 10:48 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44869 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Its Been A Year Since...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Its Been A Year Since...

Post by Sparhawk on 18th May 2010, 12:41 am

Illness, moving home, loosing someone close, had a baby, changed job, won the lottery...

I thought this might be a good place to put a rolling thread to share some reflections on something significant that may have happened in your life about a year ago...

Last edited by sparhawk on 18th May 2010, 2:42 am; edited 4 times in total

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Its Been A Year Since...

Post by Sparhawk on 18th May 2010, 1:56 am

Well I thought I would start this off by saying that its a year since I had my depression breakdown...

I have come through it all with the help of family, friends (including forum friends),
& chemicals (as issued by the doctor)...

I have had to take a look at my life in general & strip it back to the basics, more me time be it in the garden, reading, listening to my music.

Baking bread, picking fruit, making jam & giving a pot away, being told how good it is, all these things have helped.

Also the realisation that work is a nessescary evil to string 2 rest days together its not the work thats important, its the restdays...

I would like to think that I have helped even a tiny bit in bringing it more into the open, it is a healthy thread on here, trickling over from time to time, it is now more acceptable to talk about in my workplace...

I won't say its gone but I certainly feel a lot different a year down the line...

Now the idea isn't to turn this into another thread about depression, I'm sure there are things people can reflect upon that have happened in about the last year...

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th May 2010, 10:25 pm

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th May 2010, 10:32 pm

It's a year ago since OH and I wondered what it would be like when his job finished at the end of August when the school for autistic children he worked at closed and he was made redundant. As it happened, he started a new job the week after the school closed which put us in the best possible position financially (a bonus 'loyalty' payment or was it danger money?). Between us we now earn less than the national average for one person, but there is less stress, and we are managing. We have had to keep communications open as there was quite a bit to get used to in our new way of life (less money - we now work at the same school - I no longer have lots of time on my own which I had got used to when OH was on shift work) but its working out.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st May 2010, 5:44 pm

A year ago my son was taking his French Baccalaureate exams...in French. His father and I had managed to negociate some places in UK universities to start his training as an architect. He had made his first choice and seemed capable of getting the mark (the UK do not understand the French Bac at all!!).

The exams ranged from Physics and Chemistry to French literature, german, histrory etc. Some 8 subjects and the exams all in one week. The last exam was history/geography. He was too tired think and got 5/20 a mark never reached before (we got a copy of his paper..the French was very bad!). This put his final result a fraction of a mark below what he needed for his first choice.

The university had over subscribed itself and so only took those that achieve their offer. One sad lad was not looking to use clearing until he saw that universities that had been on his original list where accepting through clearing...possibly due to the extra 10,000 places made available by the government...but they were there for the asking!

So after a very nerve racking time looking for places on the web page and phone calls he talked to two places in London. Not good news I thought. Luckily due to a friend calling me I learn there was a possibility to go to Canterbury, I place I know he would love. I nagged and encouraged. He went and decided it was right. He is there now and very happy.

Since then we have learned his two original choices (especially his first choice) is not what it used to be and the city not fun to be in. Whereas in Canterbury he is lapping up the culture and the music.

So the usual twist in the tail of allowing things to be swayed by events will allow us to walk a better path!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top