A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 1:42 pm

» Two minute beach clean
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

» Armchair gardening in December
by freebird 4th December 2017, 11:11 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Ploshkin 3rd December 2017, 3:46 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is dreamcb77

Our users have posted a total of 44936 messages in 2335 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Painting/Drawing

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Painting/Drawing

Post by polgara on 31st May 2010, 3:48 pm

Well I am really doing quite well. Have just painted another pic. I am using A5 size paper & I get the pads from Poundland. My artistic GD tells me the paper is good. At the moment I am copying pics from old calenders lovely pics & not too taxing yet. Very relaxing. Learning more each time I have a go. hippy1

................................................................................................................................
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara

Back to top Go down

default Re: Painting/Drawing

Post by Dandelion on 31st May 2010, 3:55 pm

I keep thinking that I'll do some drawings from photos I've taken of the veg patch (inspired by seeing the fantastic painting Stanley Spencer did of marrows growing on an allotment, which is at the gallery at Cookham). Well, I take the photos, but no drawings or paintings seem to have materialised yet....

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 31st May 2010, 3:59 pm

Give it a go Dandelion, just try not to use kids crayons, they really do not work well. Proper one from Smi**s are good and a reasonable price as is good old paper & pencil

Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 31st May 2010, 4:01 pm

It's just time, really, at the moment - maybe in the summer hols??

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5th June 2010, 5:47 pm

I've found that since I worked in the computer industry and under a lot of stress I can no longer draw....I still haven't worked out what is missing...my hand is now steadier but it still isn't working. It is really annoying as I loved to draw and have always doodled.

Perhaps I should try following a how to draw book (again after 40years!)

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 18th June 2010, 2:29 pm

Have been doing some drawing with artists crayons, they are a delight to work with & I have had some fun. Trying to have 2 or 3 sessions each week at the moment.

Pencil drawing is not so good & painting is very hit & miss, but I shall keep trying.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 8th July 2010, 11:55 am

Done a bit of drawing, some not bad but the rest rubbish. Want to do a specific piccy at some time, but must practise for it & get the subjects right, will probably be about 12 people doing different things. Shall do one in pencil & then one in water colour, I hope.

Young Master Sparhawk or the young Squire whichever has sent me round the 2 latest Doctor Who Mags, so lots of fun there.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 17th July 2010, 6:00 pm

Football friendys at the moment, so an afternoon with the paints. I like what I have done, wether anyone else does is not important, I had fun.

Do remember though when I was young, ( a little while ago) my Mum & Dad always made me clean the paint box, now I save the mixed colours to use again, takes the boring bit out of clearing up. lol!

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 17th July 2010, 6:11 pm

I like using pastels, they have a lovely texture. I also use some watercolour pencils which can be used wet or dry for interesting effects.

One of the few courses I have done which was purely for fun was to go to a series of art classes held in a wonderful building in Ledbury run by an Aatists collective, called "Artistree". I had such fun and learned a lot of techniques for exploring colour and preparing paper to use watercolours on them.

Sadly the funding for the building ceased and the project folded but I had such fun every week for 10 weeks!

I still have a painting I did hanging on the sitting room wall...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 24th July 2010, 5:23 pm

Football again today. I made a jump & drew a picture & then painted it. I did copy the picture & follow the instructions, sort of, just like a lesson & must admit I am pleased with the outcome.
It is much better now that I am getting rid of the ingrained lessons from school & only have to please myself.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 9th October 2010, 9:52 am

Today I have been given a table easel & a huuuuuge canvas. Will be sometime before I can paint that, but it something to work towards. Also some pencils & brush cleaner & dryer jar. What a lucky girl!!

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th October 2010, 10:33 am

Might that be as a Birthday Present?

Happy Birthday Pol! Enjoy the art supplies fleurs

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 9th October 2010, 1:12 pm

Thank you, yes it is but I didn`t want to boast too much. lol!

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 9th December 2010, 2:01 pm

Work in progress: I am sort of "meh" about acrylic but doing this for a friends Xmess present and cash a bit tight so acrylic cheapest option for me. It dries way too fast for me IMO but still, we'll get there.

About halfway done.
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 9th December 2010, 3:21 pm

Love it.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by flute on 10th December 2010, 11:27 pm

WOW!!!! I WANT ONE!!!

It's beautiful.

I personally like acrylics as I like the shiny plasticy result, and yet if you water it down enough it goes like watercolour washy. And you can get some really vibrant colours. I tried oil once Evil or Very Mad ! No likey. I don't think it suits the sort of creations I do. I consider myself as an artist that puts things together to create an image rather than just doing an image. Just the way I work to get better pictures from myself. Oh dear I fear I have rambled a little here.

I love your picture

"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential. Who we are might be predetermined, but we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny.
Our destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged:
Every man is born as many men, but dies a single one." -Timothy McGee (NCIS)
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 11th December 2010, 6:53 am

Haven't tried oils yet, though I really want to. I love watercolour and gouache however, but would love a change to bimble with some egg tempura: I know a few places that sell it.

This was to be a OOAK (One of A Kind) but I will more than likely be offering this as a print. Friend doesn't seem to rate it much! So I probably will keep it and give her something else. A bit meh about that but oh well, does mean I'll have an original to sell eventually however!
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 12th January 2011, 5:41 pm

I have come to the conclusion that dragons are NOT easy to draw. I have tried to do it out of mind, & to copy other piccys or ornaments, but they still look awful. Supose I will have to keep trying.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 12th January 2011, 5:54 pm

Oh bless, I had a phase when I did nothing but! I'm considering doing one in watercolour but I've got a bunch of other stuff in the cards at the moment. Keep at it, I have found I spend a load of time NOT actually painting as I'm doing drawings and studies. Already filled a sketchbook in the past week and need another.
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 12th January 2011, 11:07 pm

Thanks Hathorite I will keep trying

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 13th January 2011, 1:25 pm

As an aside, have you done any sketches of more mundane reptiles as an exercise in anatomy? Then perhaps thake that morphology and scale up to more complex creature, i.e. dragon. Maybe kind of an engineering answer, lol.
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 13th January 2011, 5:26 pm

I have tried lots of different things, some are good, others are lousy, but it is still fun Laughing

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 15th January 2011, 12:56 pm

I was salvaging a canvas; what was originally on this was my Pink Tree study in acrylic. I decided there's no reason not to paint over it and put something else on it as I'd managed to get what I wanted out of the study. And, knowing I don't really get on well with acrylic I just decided I'd mess about and do something in my very-loved viridian. I had no plans, just knew I wanted to use viridian and see what would happen.

So I decided to fill in the background with a diagonal technique I had messed about with earlier in the week, but there was a problem; the ex was being an utter knob that day and so the result was I was getting more and more irritated. The paint was there, I didn't want to waste it and so I started filling in, without even really paying attention, just laying the paint in. I then washed my brushes, still muttering and took a few minutes out to do something else.

A week later I dug the canvas out again and thought "Hell, I must have been really pissed." It was the most aggressive painting I've done in a long while, really BOLD almost masculine strokes with layers of dark and light. It looked cool actually but it also looked angry. And I didn't really want to dredge up all my annoyance all over again just so I could try and work on the background I'd filled in. Nor did I really want to paint over it yet again.

So I got the brushes and thought how I'd try and salvage what I had done, how to save it. And this was what I managed to come up with - it's very rough, almost primitive, which I think goes with the background considerably. However, and perhaps more importantly, I've taken something which started out rather aggressive and harsh and turned it round, planting a seed for something lovely instead.

And that, I suppose, says a fair bit about life in general. So, I'm happy with it. In this one case, the acrylic really worked for me, which is encouraging. Not sure if it is A Painting or just a bit of mucking about. Possibly both.

Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 15th January 2011, 4:20 pm

Very thought provoking I would say, one of those pics that you could/should stand a really look at.

I love it.

Elenor Roosevelt

polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by flute on 15th January 2011, 4:50 pm

Wow! Beautiful! I really love your pieces. I wish I was half as talented at 'proper' painting as you are.

(I call it proper because it comes purely from your imagination, not lots of other people's stuff put together which is what I do)

"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential. Who we are might be predetermined, but we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny.
Our destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged:
Every man is born as many men, but dies a single one." -Timothy McGee (NCIS)
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top