A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Today at 12:48 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44876 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

The Story of Bottled Water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default The Story of Bottled Water

Post by Adrian on 9th July 2010, 3:24 pm

From the lovely folk who brought us the Story of Stuff..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

................................................................................................................................
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

default Re: The Story of Bottled Water

Post by Guest on 9th July 2010, 5:22 pm

Great one! It would be nice to think people would start breaking false cycles like this one...conned by marketing for long enough!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 9th July 2010, 9:55 pm

Miss JG found this for us along with the story of stuff. We've (almost) given up buying bottled water. I mean, what a waste!!
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 10th July 2010, 1:53 pm

What's wrong with bottled water? We always keep a dozen or two gallons of bottled spring water around. Nice to take on trips so we can drink water whenever the supply where we are at the moment is awful tasting. Vital to have for those times when the power is out so we only have a few gallons remaining pressurized in the tank.

Of course this is spring water we put into bottles (reused) ourseleves from our own spring.

................................................................................................................................
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 10th July 2010, 2:05 pm

My main problem lies in the way that bottled water is marketed and treated, firstly as a designer commodity and secondly in a single use disposable bottle which is a disgraceful waste of planetary resources.

In an age where we are approaching a number of peaks (in energy, oil, food and water), I consider bottled water to be an affront to decency, the ultimate in lazy consumerism.

Now I am comfortable for folk to be storing large containers (although these taint the water with Bisphenol A, which is an endocrine disruptor and causes neurological problems), but the small 500ml bottles are a disgrace. Water is a common human necessity not a product to be bought and sold.

I feel very strongly about this..

Last edited by Badger on 10th July 2010, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th July 2010, 2:54 pm

In Britain the Coca Cola water product was definitely as the lady describes. The water was/is Thames water from an extraction point in Slough. (Usually Thames managed water supply goes around 7 times before it is released!).

On the packaging side: I've always thought that if you had to keep all you rubbish you produced you wouldn't consume in the same way. ie if you had to keep responsibility for what you've bought. People would then demand all packaging to be either safely burnable, truly biodegradable (compostable or earth product) or truly reusable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 10th July 2010, 5:47 pm

I know that Coca Cola bottles Malvern Spring water near us (at Malvern...!) Ironically our tap water here is vile: it's piped a long way to us from Wales and is full of chlorine so that tea sometimes has a very medicinal taste. We have a collection of large bottles, and when we're in the Malvern area we fill up with spring water, because the stuff which Coca Cola charges for is also available out of taps all around the area free. The taste is quite different to our tap water. Having lived in Slough for a while (we don't talk about it...) the tap water there was pretty decent compared to what we have here. Don't remember Coca Cola bottling it, but I suppose Slough has to be useful for something?

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th July 2010, 6:53 pm

The water from Slough "Thames Water" supplies was Dasani which I've looked for on the Coca Cola uk web site (yes Dandelion you have reduced me to such things!!! Smile ) and they've dropped it...what a suprise!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top