A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 11th November 2017, 10:48 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44869 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Hi, I'm Budburst

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Hi, I'm Budburst

Post by budburst12 on 11th July 2010, 10:30 am

I live with my husband and 4 month old daughter in Bonnie Shropshire, UK, an area where I grew up and never actually expected to stay for so long (I come from a rambling background and have relations all over), but after moving away for a few years, realised Shropshire is the place for me - rolling hills, near to Welsh mountains, lovely market towns, gorgeous little villages, local food aplenty and city life near enough if we fancy going to a big show or whatever.

Me and my husband moved back out to the countryside a couple of years ago and for both of us, it's been a step closer to our dream of a more simple life. I guess my environmental awakening began in my early 20s when I fell back in love with the countryside (having hankered after the city during my teens). I went off to uni in my mid 20s to study environmental science and... well all those lessons in biodiversity loss, climate change, agricultural pollution, resource depletion etc etc etc just shocked and appalled me into having to do something to fix this mess our lifestyles have created.

So I've spent my life since working for a climate change charity running educational projects, doing volunteer work for my local wildlife trust, getting involved with various local environmental groups and finally shifting more of my attention and time onto trying to make my own life fit my ideals more closely.

We live in an old barn conversion - not terribly sensible accomodation from an energy point of view as it's designed to keep cool! But we're gradually making improvements - wood burner went in a couple of months ago, new super efficient boilers went in last year and we're constantly topping up the insulation where we can. We're planning on trying to get a little passive solar going by putting in some large windows and sky lights to get more light in here and hopefully heat too. And we've got a couple of semi derelict brick barns out back that we're going to convert into a workshop and glass house. We own a smallish patch of old farmyard - big enough for lots of experimenting and to set up a wee smallholding. Including chickens, hooray!

So my main passion in life right now is my garden and our plans for this yard. I love growing veg and cooking up tasty delights for my husband, friends and family. And I'm determined to find a way to get this yard and the barns to pay for themselves - to feed us and to earn us some kind of income. Plans are emerging, but with a new baby, nothing is moving very quickly. Lots of time to let any plans settle for a while before jumping in.

Oh and other hobbies on the side - I sing and play guitar and am currently learning banjo. I used to do a lot of painting and keep meaning to get back to it. And I'm always up for learning new crafts, which for me is a winter occupation for when it's too hideous to go outside - I knit, have done a bit of crochet and wood turning (love it, can't wait to get that workshop set up so I can do more!)... Next thing will probably be sewing as we desperately need curtains for the nursery. But I have no idea what I'm doing there!

So I'm really pleased to have found this forum! I'm new to a lot of what I'm trying to do, and really keen to learn as much as I can - this looks like a great place to get lots of advice and to hear about how other people are going about living more simply... and where I can, I'm always up for helping people out too.

budburst12

http://oakhousepermaculture.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: Hi, I'm Budburst

Post by MrsC on 11th July 2010, 2:39 pm

Hi there Budburst and welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to hearing about what you get up to there in Shropshire. Feel free to pop into the tea room for a chat and a cuppa sometime.

Mrs C

................................................................................................................................
My blog, Being Mrs C: http://www.beingmrsc.com
Mr C and my other project, UK Nature Blog: http://www.uknatureblog.com
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by budburst12 on 13th July 2010, 3:45 pm

Thanks Mrs C, will do!

Budburst
budburst12

http://oakhousepermaculture.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd August 2010, 10:04 am

Hiya,
seems like you may just up the road from me - I'm not far from Hereford and Hay. good to meet you

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum