A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Wrapping up in the October garden
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 1:51 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 16th October 2017, 9:26 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 16th October 2017, 5:54 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 3rd October 2017, 2:22 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

Statistics
We have 633 registered users
The newest registered user is domestic

Our users have posted a total of 44796 messages in 2328 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Worming chickens - advice appreciated

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Worming chickens - advice appreciated

Post by Dandelion on 24th July 2010, 9:21 pm

In a book I read it stated that a lot of poultry owners worm their chickens twice a year, in Spring and Autumn. I bought some Verm-X (because I couldn't find the Flubenvet in Countrywide!) but the instructions tell you to give the chickens some Verm-X for three days every month. Now I'm really confused. The chickens haven't shown any signs of worms, and seem to be very healthy, but I wanted to worm just as a precaution. Any advice?

Last edited by Dandelion on 24th July 2010, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited because the wrong spelling implied that I was fluent in Welsh, which I'm not)

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

default Re: Worming chickens - advice appreciated

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 24th July 2010, 10:32 pm

Only ever used Flubenvet I'm afraid. And cider vinegar in their water as a preventative.

When our chooks were in a relatively small enclosed space we wormed them every 3 months. The more space they have the less likely they are to pick up parasites.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 24th July 2010, 11:58 pm

I now do mine 3 times a year with Flubenvet AND use Verm X every month. And ACV in the water .And garlic and Diatom.. They still get them though and its disgusting. Mine got them even when free ranging in 3 acres!

:face:

Earthworms and snails can pass them on as can using the same area for them...as Billy says

lYou can still eat the eggs when Flubenvetting ( though not sell them)

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 25th July 2010, 7:29 am

I use garlic powder (bought cheaply in bags from the Asian shops), Diatom and cider vinegar and Flubenvet twice a year.

I've never seen worms, happily.

AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Broadstoneuk on 25th July 2010, 10:26 am

We give our chooks:
Verm-X once a week
Cider vinegar in their water once a week
Garic granules in their food once a week

Chamomile tea is also a good complementary wormer and nice to give warm in the winter when it is cold. Our chooks go made for a warm chamomile drink!

This system has worked for us for over 1 year without problems. However, we had to use Flubenvet this year as one of our hens had gapeworm and Flubenvet is the only treatment for that.
If you give cider vinegar then you should also give them a day with a probiotic as the cider vinegar can kill good digestive bacteria too.The poultry place at honeybourne sell poultry probiotics that disolve in water.
Broadstoneuk

http://www.broaddstoneuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 25th July 2010, 11:53 am

Oh yes, thats why mine get live yoghurt as well.....

Apparently there is a fair bit of gape worm around here in the wildife reservoir, so I use the flubenvet for that, mainly. Having seen what chicken roundworms are like ( several inches long...) I don't want to see that in an egg ( as they can get into the egg making bit and into eggs...)

and gape worm kills quite quickly if left unchecked.

its the time of year for all this stuff to be happening as well, what with the wet and humid patch we have just had...

and red mite...and scaley leg mite...

sigh Very Happy

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 25th July 2010, 1:14 pm

Broadstoneuk wrote:
Chamomile tea is also a good complementary wormer and nice to give warm in the winter when it is cold. Our chooks go made for a warm chamomile drink!

Presumably not prepared in your kitchen however.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 25th July 2010, 3:23 pm

Thanks - lots to think about. (I like the thought of camolmile tea in the winter, and will of course be setting up a field kitchen to produce it...)

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Broadstoneuk on 25th July 2010, 4:25 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Broadstoneuk wrote:

Presumably not prepared in your kitchen however.

Of course not ..the chickens have their own kettle
Broadstoneuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 25th July 2010, 7:37 pm

I use the Kelly Kettle to cook stuff for mine

Opal doesn't like soft brown bread...! I will have to come up with a different carrier for the Flubenvet...blooming chooks, so awkward!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 25th July 2010, 8:40 pm

You make bread in a Kelly kettle?

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 26th July 2010, 12:23 am

You can, and I have...(flat bread) but no, this was trefering to the hot mash/drinks...

I get wholemeal bread for the chooks and do not take it into the kitchen or indeed the house...it goes straight to the chooks from the shop..

DL if you want I can "talk you" through what I do, on Wednesday? If that helps, only, of course?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 26th July 2010, 7:08 am

Thank you! (I think I had got a bit confused between products)

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Broadstoneuk on 26th July 2010, 7:41 am

Compostwoman wrote:I use the Kelly Kettle to cook stuff for mine

Opal doesn't like soft brown bread...! I will have to come up with a different carrier for the Flubenvet...blooming chooks, so awkward!

I just make a mash out of their normal pellets and add the Flubenvet to that. The other thing you can try is Homous. Our chickens love it and it is funny to see them with homous around their beaks and faces
Broadstoneuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 26th July 2010, 5:01 pm

Maybe I'll try porridge - our chickens usually love little squares of bread, but are much more hesitant when it's got vermX on it.

So if you add the wormer to a bowl of food such as mash do you assume that all the chickens have had an equal share of it so they've all had an equal dose of jollop?

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 26th July 2010, 6:26 pm

With just two like you have I would take them out one at a time and give then their dose, watching that they actually eat it.

Opal has eaten the pellets as mash, so has finally got started on the Flubenvet, but the other two won't eat it in pellet mash.....sigh

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Broadstoneuk on 27th July 2010, 8:45 am

Compostwoman wrote:With just two like you have I would take them out one at a time and give then their dose, watching that they actually eat it.

Opal has eaten the pellets as mash, so has finally got started on the Flubenvet, but the other two won't eat it in pellet mash.....sigh

They can't be hungry then otherwise they would eat it! Don't give them any other food and keep them in their run (assuming they have one) until the food has been eaten.
You could try putting it in homous !
Broadstoneuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Broadstoneuk on 27th July 2010, 8:50 am

Dandelion wrote:Maybe I'll try porridge - our chickens usually love little squares of bread, but are much more hesitant when it's got vermX on it.

So if you add the wormer to a bowl of food such as mash do you assume that all the chickens have had an equal share of it so they've all had an equal dose of jollop?

Yes, I would just assume that they have all had a reasonable amount of the wormer. Because ours get wormed so regularly with 'complementary' wormers they are all celar and so the wormer we do give is prophalatic.

Another typle of natural wormer is Diatomaceous earth. We have used it on the sheep but not the chooks yet. Again you would sprinkle it into a mash of some form.
Broadstoneuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th July 2010, 9:27 am

Broadstoneuk wrote:
Compostwoman wrote:With just two like you have I would take them out one at a time and give then their dose, watching that they actually eat it.

They can't be hungry then otherwise they would eat it! Don't give them any other food and keep them in their run (assuming they have one) until the food has been eaten.
You could try putting it in homous !

Er actually they only had the treated food, all day and still wouldn't eat it.
And yes they are in individual runs , as they are still in quarantine from the main flock
When I finally gave the other two the flubenvet on bread (late last night) they hoovered it up.

I suspect it is because they have only ever had pellets where they lived before.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th July 2010, 1:20 pm

Used the (empty) guinea pig run which has a removable top, put one chicken in there with her VermX bread while the other one had her bread outside. Sorted!!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th July 2010, 1:23 pm

Well done.
:cheers:

Last time I did the main flock I got mobbed by hungry, greedy hens!

Opal happy to eat dosed pellet mash, Queenie and Pearl happy to eat dosed soft bread so all done today. Only 2 more days to go and I can start to integrate them into the main flock -

That will be fun Very Happy

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th July 2010, 1:26 pm

If they are separated but can see the other one getting something tasty they tend to eat up their potion really quickly , as well...

Rolling Eyes

so wire runs are handy for this ( I use my GP run for the same function somethimes!)

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top