A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you preserving today?
by freebird Yesterday at 11:06 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» Hugelkultur
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Insect hotel
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:30 am

» Heat in the June garden
by Chilli-head 24th June 2017, 11:23 am

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 5th May 2017, 11:06 pm

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

» Amazing Hotels
by Dandelion 17th April 2017, 3:49 pm

» The art of enough
by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

» The Repair Shop
by FloBear 6th April 2017, 9:10 am

» Knitting in the round
by Ploshkin 2nd April 2017, 6:12 pm

» Marching into the spring garden
by Chilli-head 30th March 2017, 8:22 pm

» Birdbox cam
by Chilli-head 15th March 2017, 4:04 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44345 messages in 2304 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Mending Rocking Chair

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Mending Rocking Chair

Post by Guest on 3rd August 2010, 10:43 am

Not sure if thsi is the right place but I have this beautifully made beech rocking chair - all the pieces were crpented to fit into each other without glue! - and it's falling apart because I left it outside. I'd like to put it back together but may need help ... any offers?

Back to top Go down

default Re: Mending Rocking Chair

Post by Aberlemno on 3rd August 2010, 12:48 pm

If you have a photo of the state it is in, perhaps my OH could advise as he restores furniture? from Aberlemno in deepest Carmarthenshire.

Aberlemno

http://codlinsandcream2.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd August 2010, 2:20 pm

Chuckle ... both sun and rain! It's not Ercol but handmade by Polish chap in London about 20 yrs back, of beech wood. It could be glued but the way he seems to have shaped the pieces suggests this unnecessary.

Last edited by Elen Sentier on 3rd August 2010, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd August 2010, 2:31 pm

Will attempt picture ...

Aberlemno, Caer Myrddyn is a place I always want to vist and keep not getting there . Will put pic up - when I work out how to do it! - so OH can get an idea of decreptitude.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aberlemno on 3rd August 2010, 4:36 pm

I'll look forward to photo then Elen - you would LOVE Caer Myrddyn as a county, but the county town has emerged as a mini-Swansea in recent years and not the lovely quiet old market town it was when we arrived over 20 yrs ago.

Aberlemno

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 3rd August 2010, 5:35 pm

Elen Sentier wrote:Will attempt picture ...

Aberlemno, Caer Myrddyn is a place I always want to vist and keep not getting there . Will put pic up - when I work out how to do it! - so OH can get an idea of decreptitude.

Good instructions for putting a picture in post if you look at the Suggestions and Questions section, then find the 'putting a picture in a post' thread page three, penultimate post from Badger. I can't do it without going back to this set of instructions!
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd August 2010, 6:58 pm

Ha! forum not up to direct posting, I have faff about with flikr - bother!

Arrrghh! That was painful! However, yere is poor wretched chair ...

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol on 4th August 2010, 3:57 pm

Hi Elen,
That looks like a glue job to me from the photos.

I would suggest the following plan of action....
1. The first thing you have to do is take it completely apart (number them and make a sketch if you think you might forget where they are in the seat) and lightly sand everything to remove dirt and stains.
2. Put it together without glue to ensure everything fits and is still there.
3. Stop have a cup ot tea and think in what order you should put it together again when you are gluing. Have you got enough clamps to do the job? You will have to do it in stages over several days.
4. Glue the seat together (leaving 24 hours between gluings) being careful to clamp everything up for tight joints. Always put a piece of scrap wood between the clamp and the workpiece to avoid leaving marks. When gluing up be careful not to smear excess glue around the outside of the joint, it will stop the wood absorbing any wood treatment evenly and give unsightly patches.
5. Scrape off any blobs of glue that ouzed out of the joints with a sharp chisel. Give a light sanding with a fine sandpaper and apply a coating of your choice (my prefered coating is linseed and bees wax).

Thats about all you have to do. Don't hurry, take your time and do a good job. If there are any question fire away. :bigsmile:
Wood Troll

WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th August 2010, 7:04 pm

Hey that sounds really useful! Thank you. I love the bit where I stop and have some tea . Will have a go and (hopefully) send back pix of mended chair ... which will then live INDOORS

If I get stuck I'll come back to you ...why do I say "if" ???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th August 2010, 7:05 pm

Aha! I'm back already ... what sort of glue ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 5th August 2010, 12:03 am

Elen I have every confidence you can mend this wonderful wooden work of art

I have a greenwood chair made from wood, from my wood, by a friend, she gifted it to me when she moved and I love it. It is my storytelling chair.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on 5th August 2010, 1:02 am

Elen Sentier wrote:Aha! I'm back already ... what sort of glue ?
Wood glue?
Traditionally cascamite is supposed to be the badger's nadgers.

If you're short of clamps, you may be able to hold parts of it together with a Spanish windlass: put a loop of rope around them and wind it tight with a stick.
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Aberlemno on 5th August 2010, 7:34 am

My OH says if it's been out in all weathers for years like that, the wood will need feeding. It will need rubbing down a little with very fine sandpaper and then 0000 guage wire wool. Then apply raw linseed oil - two or three coats - and let it soak in for 2 or 3 weeks before you even think of polishing it. It will probably still end up on the light side, colourwise, because it has been so bleached by the sun and weather. Good luck.

Aberlemno

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 5th August 2010, 10:21 am

Hairyloon wrote:
Traditionally cascamite is supposed to be the badger's nadgers.

Very traditionally - glue made from fish or animal bones. I have used it when veneering a chess table, but I don't plan to repeat it.

If you think you might leave it out in the rain again by accident, I'd go with HL's suggestion. PVA is a more convenient option if it will not get wet again. The newfangled alternative is polyurethane, comes in a gunk gun cartridge, sets in 5 minutes, waterproof. Water from the air triggers the setting, so the tube will set solid quite quckly after opening.

Edited to add: Thinking about it, given the chair's history, various bits may have warped a bit and it might take some time fiddling with clamps to get it together and looking straight - a 5 minute setting time is probably not what you need !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol on 5th August 2010, 2:18 pm

I would recommend the normal DIY wood glue which is PVA as you do say you will keep it indoors. As long as the air temperature is not very hot you have sufficient time to move things around. I would still leave it clamped for 24hrs as this ensures that the glue has completely gone off.

Cascamite is effective but not easy to use. You have to mix it and it has health hazards associated with it as it is made with urea formaldehyde (although there are probably modern versions available.)

Don't linseed anything until after everything is well and truely glued as the glue will not take once it is oiled.

A further point is, when you glue the seat boards together you have to ensure that the pieces do not bow whilst they are being clamped. One way to prevent this is to have planks clamped lightly above and below the seat keeping flat.

WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5th August 2010, 7:23 pm

COO err! I gonna have to study all this, but a second read says it's all doable. Tamuchley folk, much. appreciated. Idea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top