A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44718 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Hen being bullied!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Hen being bullied!

Post by MrsNesbitt on 14th August 2010, 6:21 pm

2 of my hens were broody - so a neighbour offered some eggs for them to sit on, 3 weeks ago. We took the hens over to his place where he had kindly set up a coop for them - after a few minor disasters one egg has been successfully hatched and hen and chick are doing fine.

The other hen is now back here. Unfortunately the other 4 hens started pecking at her so I have placed her in a seperate shed with food and water as she has lost weight!

Any suggestions please?
MrsNesbitt
Homemade Moderator

http://www.denisebydesigns.net

Back to top Go down

default Re: Hen being bullied!

Post by Guest on 28th August 2010, 2:06 pm

Sorry I have not been on for a while....
You could try putting the pecked hen with only one of the other four hens for a while so that they become a 'team' and they in turn will be less likely to be picked on by the others when the flock is reunited.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsNesbitt on 28th August 2010, 2:24 pm

Well 2 weeks down the line and all seems to be getting back to normal. She laid an egg this morning so I am hoping this is a sign she is feeling happier! She is going into the henhouse on an evening - I did leave a spare shed door open but she chose to go in with the others.

Still keeping an eye on matters tho. Thanx Dx

................................................................................................................................
"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, theyjust make the best of everything they have."
MrsNesbitt
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 28th August 2010, 4:23 pm

For future reference, I have found making up a small enclosure from wire inside the hen run, so the others can see the bullied hen but not get to her...

Obviously try the "putting in the house with the others at night" tactic, when they are all sleepy and less likely to peck her. Dusting them all with Barrier (lavender smelling) louse powder is a good trick as well as it makes them all smell the same ( and kills lice!)

Sorry , I didn't spot this post when you first did it Mrs N

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsNesbitt on 28th August 2010, 4:46 pm

No probs CW! Will get some of this Barrier lavender smelling stuff too!

The other hen is a perfect mother to the chick - I have told neighbours they can keep her for as long as required - any thoughts?

Thanks
Dx

................................................................................................................................
"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, theyjust make the best of everything they have."
MrsNesbitt
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th September 2011, 8:49 pm

Having bought two new hens I'm beginning to appreciate how hard it is to get them all to live together peacefully at first. I think we're making progress, but let's just say that I'm sitting here smelling of anti-pecking spray having had to douse our remaining hen in the stuff. (It's not the lovely lavender stuff - it's the coal tar with attitude stuff!!) Ah well, it'll probably stop the kids pecking me at school tomorrow!

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d on 21st September 2011, 1:32 am

Does it work on bickering teenogres? They usually stay in their own caves, but if they are both out foraging for food at the same time it can get risky, lol.
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 21st September 2011, 7:59 pm

The good news is that I didn't get pecked at school today, and the hens seem to be sorting themselves out (unless today was a blip!) I've sat next to the henhouse every evening this week as they all go in together (it's the only time they've been together in the day), and they squabbled for a couple of days but tonight they all went in without a fuss. It did remind me of when our kids were young and naughty at bedtime - I nearly shouted at the chickens 'If I have to come up there......' last night!!

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top