A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Wrapping up in the October garden
by Chilli-head Yesterday at 1:51 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 16th October 2017, 9:26 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 16th October 2017, 5:54 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by Ploshkin 3rd October 2017, 2:22 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

Statistics
We have 633 registered users
The newest registered user is domestic

Our users have posted a total of 44796 messages in 2328 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

CW learning to follow a knit pattern

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: CW learning to follow a knit pattern

Post by Compostwoman on 17th August 2010, 10:38 pm

I am going to learn to follow a knitting pattern so I can actually make more than squares and rectangles. I can increase and decrease , do various stitches but I never learned/was taught to read a pattern, so I can't make things. Ergo I am not a "proper" knitter ( in my eyes!)

Proper knitters make cardis and socks and stuff. I can't.

But NO MORE!

I really wish I had asked Budburst or Elen or Mrs C or Dandelion, when I had them here 2 days ago!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 18th August 2010, 9:48 am

CW - rubbish you are a proper knitter, you just haven't been following patterns. I know many people who have never followed patterns but have knitted for years. Once LMC stops crying I'll post some pattern tips.

Mrs C x
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by budburst12 on 18th August 2010, 11:27 am

Funny how it happens - I woke up this morning thinking 'I must put some knitting pattern tips up on homemade life' and had just logged on to do that when I came across these posts! I'll get something started Mrs C, but please add stuff too cos I'm bound to leave something out.
budburst12

http://oakhousepermaculture.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 18th August 2010, 11:31 am

Thanks you two, you are very kind!Very Happy

I just had a bit of a tipping point of my own yesterday when I looked at a very simple pattern and realised I had NO idea what to do...it might as well have been in Urdu, or Chinese for all the meaning it had to me. (I don't read those languages btw!) Very Happy

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by budburst12 on 18th August 2010, 1:06 pm

it's a bit like getting used to all this forum speak the first time you come across it btw LOL! IMO it's all a bit gobbledygook to newcomers!

But once you get the hang of the language, it's not too hard to pick your way through. I've stuck some more videos up too to help decipher some more of those pattern instructions.

Good luck! And just shout if you're stuck on anything in particular. Happy to help! Very Happy
budburst12

http://oakhousepermaculture.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 18th August 2010, 9:10 pm

I have some experience of knotted nests of wool with needles sticking out being thrust at me for me to sort out - I'm sure your knitting won't be like that but am quite happy to help if I can!
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 18th August 2010, 11:41 pm

Dandelion, you live too close to offer to help like that Very Happy

I shall be camped on your door step with a "knotted nest of wool"!

Have had a look at a hat pattern, it feels like a good start to deciphering the code...what do people think?

What is the best item to knit from a pattern, first time, which slowly gets one into reading the language?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 19th August 2010, 6:07 am

CW - I started with knitting hats and as budburst says it is all down to just decoding the language. Once you've mastered that and the different types of increase and decrease then you're away.

The bit where I always get stuck is making things up. I'm useless at that for some reason.

Once again I'm no where near my knitting books (and only up at this time as the steralizer's running at the mo) but I'll try and dig out the hat pattern that I first followed and see what's in it.

Mrs C
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19th August 2010, 8:34 am

Compostwoman wrote:I am going to learn to follow a knitting pattern so I can actually make more than squares and rectangles. I can increase and decrease , do various stitches but I never learned/was taught to read a pattern, so I can't make things. Ergo I am not a "proper" knitter ( in my eyes!)

Proper knitters make cardis and socks and stuff. I can't.

But NO MORE!

I really wish I had asked Budburst or Elen or Mrs C or Dandelion, when I had them here 2 days ago!

Then, when you can follow a pattern, you can give 'em up :-). I knit, jumpers, socks, cardis, hats all the stuff, but I get soooooo board following a pattern, make 'em up as I go along. Once you know the sizes and styles you like, you can knit along merrily adding shape and pattern as you please. But, agreed, you do need to know how to do it first. best o' luck, I think it's great fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th August 2010, 1:35 pm

I would suggest that the stitch you use to start with is a bit more critical that what you choose to make, because something relatively soothing like socking stitch (one row knit, one row purl) gets you into the rhythmn of the process and you can pick up a bit of speed. Rib (alternating a stitch of plain and a stitch of purl) I find to be a lot more arduous and it's easier to go wrong. A hat sounds good, because you would get into the process of knitting before you had any shaping to do.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 19th August 2010, 3:49 pm

I can actually knit pretty well, can do it without looking BUT it is all straight sided stuff Very Happy

Fingers too stiff to do any at the mo, though.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 19th August 2010, 4:10 pm

Right - here goes. Basically I have in front of me the first knitting pattern I ever followed which is for the Hot head hat that's in the Stitch 'n' Bitch book. What I plan to do is go through it and explain each of the terms it uses. I'm not writing out the full pattern so as not to infringe any copyright issues. What I would suggest though is that if you want a pattern have a look on ravelry.com (warning - you'll need to register to get full benefits from the site and it can fill many many many hours!) where there are loads of free patterns.

Right from the top:

CO 56 (60, 64) - Cast on. 56 stitches for the smallest size, 60 for the middle size, 64 for the largest.

Work X rows in k2, p2 rib foll color pattern - Work X rows of 2x2 rib, i.e. knit two stitches, purl two stitches, knit 2, purl 2 etc. Do this following the colour pattern, i.e. 5 rows colour 1, 5 rows colour 2 etc.

Row 1 (RS): *K2tog, p2; rep from * to end - 42 (45, 48) sts - For row 1 (in shaping the top of the hat) you should be on the Right Side of your knitting (WS = Wrong Side). Knit two stitches together, purl two stitches and then repeat this pattern to the end of the row. At the end of the row you should have 42 stitches on the needle for the smallest size etc.

And in this pattern everything is a variant on the above! At the end you don't even have to cast off as you thread the yarn back through the remaining stitches once you've shaped the crown.

Does that all make sense CW?

Mrs C x
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th August 2010, 4:39 pm

Ooohhh Mrs C - I could feel tempted to make that myself!!
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 19th August 2010, 8:23 pm

That is great explaining Mrs C! I have 2 questions,

How many times do I do the 5 row colour bit? Do I just keep on repeating until I have the depth (height?) of hat I want?

AND

Do I decrease from 56 to 42, then repeat that each subsequent row, incrementing down by the same amount of stitches?

I think I could manage this, actually and I have some lovely marbled wood in my stash....(similar to yhe acarf in your avatar) micgh give it a go when my fingers are working a bit better...!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 19th August 2010, 9:23 pm

Well in this case you should work 29 (32, 35) rows for the main body of the hat. When shaping the crown Row 1 is as I previously wrote, Row 2 is as follows
(WS): *K2tog, p1, rep from * to end (28 (30, 32) sts
then it continues...

Row 3: *K1, p1; rep from * to end
Row 4: *K1, p1; rep from * to end
Row 5: *K2tog; rep from * to end - 14 (15, 16) sts
Row 6: *K2tog; rep from * to end - 7 (8, Cool sts

Once you've done this break your yarn so you have a long tail. Thread this tail (using a tapestry needle) through the live stitches, drawing them tight and taking them off the knitting needle. Then use this same thread to sew up the hat with the RS facing you using mattress stitch. It's probably worth looking at a tutorial of mattress stitch on YouTube as it should end up invisible and can take a bit of mentally figuring out if you haven't done it before.

In fact the hat in my avatar was done using this pattern but just with a single colour yarn. I think I used Rowan Cocoon. Can't remember what size needles I used, but the pattern calls for 6.5mm with a wool/mohair yarn. The gauge should be 14 sts and 18 rows = 4" in K2, p2 rib.

Hope this helps.

Mrs C x
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 19th August 2010, 9:28 pm

That actually reads as perfect sense to me !

Whether I can actually reproduce it with wool, is another matter....

Will have a go!

Thank you Mrs C! biglove

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian on 19th August 2010, 9:40 pm

If its ok with everyone, I will split this topic and shift it over to the knitting area.. Very Happy
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 20th August 2010, 12:35 am

Embarassed sorry Embarassed

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 20th August 2010, 6:17 pm

CW, if you find the pattern I posted for the felted hat I made it's really easy, although you do have to swap needles (3 different sizes) but it's still straightforward.
I'm going to start another one soon in all black and then make some needle-felted flowers to pin on

*edited to add that if I can do it then anyone can
Very Happy
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 20th August 2010, 11:38 pm

AJB I actually feel like I am on the brink of understanding all this!

I am SO grateful to all of you for taking the time and trouble to help me out...you have no idea how good being ( maybe) able to do this makes me feel..........

Obviously all this has been bothering me for some time and I am very grateful to maybe have overcome a hurdle and got started on this so as to actually make something which is not parallel sided!

Very Happy

Back to my bed to languish a bit more Neutral will report progress when I can actually knit, a bit... Neutral

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 25th October 2010, 9:30 pm

Dandelion wrote:I would suggest that the stitch you use to start with is a bit more critical that what you choose to make, because something relatively soothing like socking stitch (one row knit, one row purl) gets you into the rhythmn of the process and you can pick up a bit of speed. Rib (alternating a stitch of plain and a stitch of purl) I find to be a lot more arduous and it's easier to go wrong. A hat sounds good, because you would get into the process of knitting before you had any shaping to do.

I went utterly wrong with rib using 100% freedom wool on a hat. Lovely wool, but it is felting as I knit and I somehow went so wrong I couldn't make the yarn knit any more....

Have started again, but it was such lovely wool and I am now on the 6th time of starting from scratch, after having knitted a lot of rows...am getting a bit dispirited now.

Off to watch Cyberseams on YouTube.....will report back!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 25th October 2010, 11:57 pm

Have started again but this time with metal needles which seem to be better. Also have cast on properly!!!

My way, I get a very interesting knitted belt effect fron the first row which cannot be unravelled....but is great as a hair band or bag strap so have now done a few lengths just for those uses....

maybe will patent as a Compostwoman knit...!!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 5th November 2010, 11:56 pm

Have finished my hat bouncing

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 7th November 2010, 4:20 pm

Well done - are there pictures?
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator